House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest prudence

There's One Born Every Minute

Guest prudence

a friend of mine is insisting on buying a house now despite my best endeavours to show him the errors of his ways. He is a pensioner, cannot therefore get a mortgage. Is a cash buyer, chain free and is offering just five percent below the asking price on a new-build because the e.a. says it "is priced to sell." I have said that if he is determined to buy he should offer at least 15 percent below the asking price. The reply: "I can't do that, the estate agent says the price is right". One does despair sometimes. I also know he has another friend who is advising him to buy and that a five percent discount to asking price is the right offer. What does that other friend do. He is an estate agent.......

Edited by prudence

a friend of mine is insisting on buying a house now despite my best endeavours to show him the errors of his ways. He is a pensioner, cannot therefore get a mortgage. Is a cash buyer, chain free and is offering just five percent below the asking price on a new-build because the e.a. says it "is priced to sell." I have said that if he is determined to buy he should offer at least 15 percent below the asking price. The reply: "I can't do that, the estate agent says the price is right". One does despair sometimes. I also know he has another friend who is advising him to buy and that a five percent discount to asking price is the right offer. What does that other friend do. He is an estate agent.......

I'm afraid this is just the world we live in. It's not isolated to the housing market but taking the vulnerable (of all ages) to the cleaners is the way most people have made their millions.

Just think about it, supposing everyone in the world knew at least what you knew about life, finance, greed and the whole package, do you think people like kirsty allsop would exist? Do you think that manchester united et al would be shitting multimillion pound contracts?

No. I doubt it very much.

Sadly the vast majority of people fit into one or more of the following categories:

Ugly, Poor, Stupid.

Any combination pretty much guarantees they will be slaving away to keep the likes of rupert murdock on his thrown because they know no better than to pay-per-view for the rest of their lives.

Any combination pretty much guarantees they will be slaving away to keep the likes of [R]rupert [M]murdock on his thrown[throne] because they know no better than to pay-per-view for the rest of their lives.

Sorry, this is a public forum and some things cannot be allowed to pass without being corrected.

You may call me a rude name.

Thank you.

Guest prudence

Sorry, this is a public forum and some things cannot be allowed to pass without being corrected.

You may call me a rude name.

Thank you.

and Murdoch

Guest magnoliawalls

When I have suggested that it may not be such a good idea to buy right now I have been answered with things like 'but prices here are going up all the time - my mortgage advisor said so' and 'no, the estate agent said that it was a really good investment, and they are the experts'.

Most people just don't think very hard.

Guest prudence

it's the "they are the experts" line which is really galling. For some reason Jo Public won't cotton on to the fact that an estate agent is simply a salesman trying to get the highest price for the product he\she is selling...

Why don't you ring up a window salesman [or any salesman], say you have a friend who needs to buy.

The window salesman will go round, and say 'now's the time to buy', your friend will buy. He'll get screwed.

You can then help him learn from his mistakes... and explain that salesman [i.e. EAs] are out to sell things.

Sure he'll loose several thousand. But its the lesser of two evils!

Edited by Jason