House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lander

Number Of Homeless In Sheffield Rises By 38% In A Year

Sorry no link, just repeating what I heard on my local regional news last night (Calendar). Reporter said this massive increase in the number of homeless people hitting the streets in Sheffield was due to 'economic pressures' and and 'rising utilities tipping people over the edge'. This figure is shocking and could well double in the next couple of years . It's getting nasty out there folks :(

Sorry no link, just repeating what I heard on my local regional news last night (Calendar). Reporter said this massive increase in the number of homeless people hitting the streets in Sheffield was due to 'economic pressures' and and 'rising utilities tipping people over the edge'. This figure is shocking and could well double in the next couple of years . It's getting nasty out there folks :(

Link >

I wonder if Sheffield is 'good' to the homeless?

Councillors in Cambridge used to complain all the homeless flocked to Cambridge from other towns because the pickings are so rich (busking, begging etc) :lol:

And this

The figures, branded ‘very alarming’ by council bosses, include households accepted by the local authority as being homeless and in priority need. :blink:

But they do not include rough sleepers, people living in B&B accommodation, people residing in refuges and night shelters, those in short term arrangements with friends and family, or squatters.

So basically, according to these stats, if you are not homeless, you are homeless, but if you actually are homeless, you are not homeless.

Sounds like more Public sector beaureaucrazy/newsspeak. ie, you are not unemployed unless you do things our way and play by our rules. Even if you have no job, are of working age, and are looking for a job.

If the news report was on BBC, i doubt they mentioned these little caveats.

After my last rental in Sheffield ended I wasn't going to sleep rough in the bloomin' streets. Far nicer to head west and kip under the stars in the Peak District instead!

After my last rental in Sheffield ended I wasn't going to sleep rough in the bloomin' streets. Far nicer to head west and kip under the stars in the Peak District instead!

Exactly. People used to bring their animals into the house to sleep with them. You ever stood next to a cow? They give off tonnes of heat. Find a nice cow shed and bed down in there. Beats being pi$$ed on by a load of drunk students.

Exactly word for word the same line used for BBC Look North late last night reporting on York's homeless problem.

Also I think they said average rents in York were £650 a month completely out of kilter with local wages. The obvious solution was more government help for York. Not that rents need to fall!

Still I thought York, unlike Sheffield was boom city and part of Yorkshires "golden triangle!"

Edited by John Steed

75 people more than same 3 month period last year

Population of Sheffield 555,000

Sheffield is also an official City of Sanctuary that actively encourages immigrants to arrive there:

"City of Sanctuary is a movement to build a culture of welcome and hospitality for refugees and asylum-seekers. In 2007, with the support of the City Council, Sheffield became the UK’s first ‘City of Sanctuary’ for asylum-seekers and refugees—-a city that takes pride in the welcome it offers to people in need of safety."

So I assume they'll be absorbing a proportion of available social housing.

Exactly. People used to bring their animals into the house to sleep with them. You ever stood next to a cow? They give off tonnes of heat. Find a nice cow shed and bed down in there. Beats being pi$$ed on by a load of drunk students.

Cows? No thanks. Much better to steer clear of cows and horses when sleeping out.

Fortunately that's easy in the Peak District, and sheep are not a problem.

Just throw in these latest anecdotals from this week - it is getting bad. I was travelling to work at 7:30am, and a chap in his 50s in a blue jumpsuit wanted to hitch a lift 5 miles into WestQuay (I guess he worked in the docks, and couldn't afford the bus fare). Unfortunately I was heading another way. I've also seen people push their SUVs into the fuel station to fill up - people are running down to the last drop.

City of Sanctuary is a movement to build a culture of welcome and hospitality for refugees and asylum-seekers. In 2007, with the support of the City Council, Sheffield became the UK’s first ‘City of Sanctuary’ for asylum-seekers and refugees—-a city that takes pride in the welcome it offers to people in need of safety other people's money, bringing third world problems with them.

Corrected.

Are they actually sleeping on the streets night after night?

(Blame soup kitchens etc)

Yes I think so, the guy who the reporter was interviewing was sleeping rough behind a dumpster, he looked like he'd been there a for a while. He mentioned something about using a brolly to keep the wind off him.

Might not be such a good idea sleeping next to cattle if someone is out cow tipping :huh: