House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Feck, Kenco Coffee Has Gone Way Too Expensive

I ran out of Kenco coffee this week - usually buy a large jar which costs just over £4 but which you could get on special office for nearer £3 usually.

Went into Co-Op, Sainsburys and Tesco - the large jar was between mid £6 and just over £7!!! Basically, it has almost doubled in price!

I thought it was coffee generally but noticed that loads of other brands were still around £4 for large jars - Nescafe for instance, which I haven't drunk since the 70s.

Just putting it out there. Kenco have lost a customer in me - can anyone else recommend a decent instant coffee?

(I can't drink the non-instant stuff as it, within minutes, causes me to have huge panic attacks and chest tightening.)

Lidl gold coffee.

Am on morrisons gold coffee at the moment. I don't think it's as nice as lidls.

The price of the big jars of brand stuff make me break out in sweats and heart palpitations.

I'm a sucker for the Milicano stuff. Much better value than those Starbucks VIA sachets.

I'm a sucker for the Milicano stuff. Much better value than those Starbucks VIA sachets.

The normal instant with a tablespoon of extra fine ground coffee ground in it per tin?

Make your own version.

About 4.50 a tin isn't it?

Guest eight

I ran out of Kenco coffee this week - usually buy a large jar which costs just over £4 but which you could get on special office for nearer £3 usually.

Went into Co-Op, Sainsburys and Tesco - the large jar was between mid £6 and just over £7!!! Basically, it has almost doubled in price!

I thought it was coffee generally but noticed that loads of other brands were still around £4 for large jars - Nescafe for instance, which I haven't drunk since the 70s.

Just putting it out there. Kenco have lost a customer in me - can anyone else recommend a decent instant coffee?

(I can't drink the non-instant stuff as it, within minutes, causes me to have huge panic attacks and chest tightening.)

I'm in exactly the same boat. I did a kind of mind trick on myself by tipping the entire contents of my copper jar into the self service till. It feels cheaper that way.

Lidl gold coffee.

Am on morrisons gold coffee at the moment. I don't think it's as nice as lidls.

The price of the big jars of brand stuff make me break out in sweats and heart palpitations.

Drat - I was in Lidl today. Did not realise they sold coffee.

Tip - if you are after that latest Colgate pro sensitive toothpaste - it is half price any size in Sainsburys this week.

Tip - if you are after that latest Colgate pro sensitive toothpaste - it is half price any size in Sainsburys this week.

Would be handy apart from the fast it is a long long way to Sainsburys. Don't think I've ever been there since I lived here. Regent Road or Heaton Park. Both too far for toothpaste.

:)

I found Sainsburys Rich Roast an acceptable alternative when priced out of Nescafe Gold Blend a few months ago.

Its probably just supermarkets trying it on. The stock market is less volatile than supermarket pricing these days, and why are the BOGOF offers only on sugary junk?

I used to get a 200g jar of Maxell House when it was on offer (£2), at the now defunct Netto... I then tried the Lidl brand (about £1.45/200g) seems OK, though I do make coffee with a quarter cup of zapped milk.

It's been a while since I've bought big brand tea either.

Big fan of Lidl but avoid their cheapest coffee (and tea) yuk, go for the slightly better one.

It's worthwhile checking out the "refill" bags, which are alleged to be "eco-friendly" and better value.

You should always check the price per kilo, though, because sometimes the refill bags work out more expensive than the glass jars.

The normal instant with a tablespoon of extra fine ground coffee ground in it per tin?

Make your own version.

About 4.50 a tin isn't it?

I packed up smoking years ago, rarely drink, eat heathily...I think I can afford this one vice. ;)

It's worthwhile checking out the "refill" bags, which are alleged to be "eco-friendly" and better value.

You should always check the price per kilo, though, because sometimes the refill bags work out more expensive than the glass jars.

Everytime I have checked out Kenco eco refill bags they have been considerably more expensive per kilo. Avoid IMPO.

Can't see Kenco being around much longer with this pricing.

Big fan of Lidl but avoid their cheapest coffee (and tea) yuk, go for the slightly better one.

Agree with that. The Lidl teabags I bought, which were about 300 for £1, taste like sawdust (I still have 290+ of them in the cupboard). A friend once brought me back some unflavoured chewing gum from Belize. Even that would probably make a better cuppa.

ust putting it out there. Kenco have lost a customer in me - can anyone else recommend a decent instant coffee?

I tend to go with Nescafe Gold Blend.

If you live near a Costco or similar type trade place, buying the stuff in those huge tins might work out cheaper. Even Kenco might seem reasonably priced then.

kenco20.jpg

Would be handy apart from the fast it is a long long way to Sainsburys. Don't think I've ever been there since I lived here. Regent Road or Heaton Park. Both too far for toothpaste.

:)

:huh:

There's one in Oldham town centre.

:huh:

There's one in Oldham town centre.

LOL so there is.

I have a real blind spot about that place.

I've been in once I think.

Only to the pharmacy. Think it must have been the only one open.

It's still 3-4 miles though

I only use freshly ground coffee, because I'm worth it.

You tight-fisted lot on the other hand, aren't. :lol:

Who can be bothered with the fuss when you just want your caffeine fix? Maybe Pro-Plus is the way to go!? :unsure:

Who can be bothered with the fuss when you just want your caffeine fix? Maybe Pro-Plus is the way to go!? :unsure:

Geez, what a bunch of Scrooge McDucks we have here!

scrooge_mcduck_the_expert.jpg

Nescafe_Brazilia_100g.jpg

......have found that this shaped glass container, not your normal shape holds a better stronger (if that is what you like or use less of it) and a better quality .....the language is in Spanish and they sell it in the Wilkinson stores...the price is very reasonable to boot. ;)

Geez, what a bunch of Scrooge McDucks we have here!

It sounds odd.. but I think coffee is a bit like cigarettes.

People who smoke either like roll-ups or cigarettes, usually not both. People who drink coffee either like fresh or instant.

I used to prefer instant as a teenager.. now I hate the stuff and end up having to get the Moka-pot out every time I fancy a caffeine fix :(