House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rantnrave

Sleep - How Much Do You Need?

Besides the UK housing market and dodgy 90s dance music, the only other subject I consider myself an expert on is sleep. This is because I am so darn good at sleeping. I can happily do nine to ten hours every night. I can cope with less than eight hours for just one night in a row. Less than that and I make PMT look like a stroll in the park. I did go for a period of averaging seven hours a night during my finals at uni. After three weeks I came down with glandular fever.

Is it just me, or are there any other sleepaholics out there? We're told that the average human needs eigt hours a night to remain healthy. Some must be pushing that figure up, and I am definitely one of them - my father's exactly the same.

Any one else care to share any thougts here?

6-7 for me. I can't really do anymore than that. I wake up. I usually get a really good sleep though. Uninterrupted and deep. Some crazy dreams.

Besides the UK housing market and dodgy 90s dance music, the only other subject I consider myself an expert on is sleep. This is because I am so darn good at sleeping.

Are you going to be called as an expert in the Michael Jackson case?

Sleep is for wimps :lol:

I have survived on 6 hours sleep a night for 50 years and when getting up after one mug of strong tea am fully awake. :)

My Lad who is 35 has 10 hours sleep a night and is like a tit in a trance for the next 4 hours after getting up. :rolleyes:

You need as much as you get.

Your body will sleep when it needs to.

Most people that think they suffer from insomnia are just going to bed too early. If you go to bed at 10PM, don't be surprised when you wake at 2AM and feel wide awake.

About 7 hours, initially out like a light, but.....

I can count on the fingers of one hand, the number of times a year I can get through the night without waking up at 3am (that's wide awake) before getting up for a pee and then trying for another hour to get back to sleep.

Also terrible night sweats, especially in the warmer months, having to swap over a wringing wet pillow several times a night.

I don't count myself as an insomniac just a terrible sleeper (thank God for the internet in the wee sma' hours).

Edit: as above you can try and get too much sleep, quality not quantity, etc.

I usually get 6 hrs night sleep and a 1hr siesta every working day, because I work a split shift. It keeps me going. I don't know the research, but I think a 1hr siesta is worth 2hrs night sleep? Not sure.

Weekends are a different story if it's been a tough week. I can sleep 12hrs straight if I need it. The drawback of too much sleep though is it leaves you foggy headed all day, and can cause headaches.

On a related note, I'm old enough now to know my body and what causes my moods etc. And lack of sleep definitely causes depression and anxiety for me. It's very noticeable. If I haven't had enough sleep, I'm guaranteed a bad day :ph34r:

Most people that think they suffer from insomnia are just going to bed too early. If you go to bed at 10PM, don't be surprised when you wake at 2AM and feel wide awake.

But the problem is regularity. Severe insomniacs may sleep 50 hours a week, but it's painful if two of those nights are almost sleepless.

I wonder how much caffeine tolerance is linked to the number of hours slept? If I have a coffee after 7pm, I will be awake until midnight, no problems - which is why I never drink the stuff that late in the day.

'Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.'

Benjamin Franklin

'Early to rise, early to bed makes a man healthy, wealthy and dead.'

Terry Pratchett

I usually get about 6 hours sleep during the week. I find it very hard to get up after that but I'm fine once I'm up. At the weekends I can easily stay in bed 10 hours or more although the last two or three hours are pretty much dozing, waking up, can't be arsed to get up, and dozing off again.

I wonder how much caffeine tolerance is linked to the number of hours slept? If I have a coffee after 7pm, I will be awake until midnight, no problems - which is why I never drink the stuff that late in the day.

Intense exercise at about 6-8pm is a great way of ensuring you feel great and wide awake for the rest of the evening - and then just suddenly collapse into a deep sleep around 11-12. Works for me anyway.

Grrr. This annoys me. As a person suffering from regular interupted sleep patterns (I started a thread a few weeks ago - I can't really call it insomnia because I sometimes do have an ok nights sleep), its quite obvious (to me) that my body isn't sleeping when it needs to, mainly because of how awful I feel most days.

For instance, I went to bed at 1130 the other night, and woke up at 3am. Thats 3.5hrs sleep. I struggled and struggled to get back to sleep, and did eventually manage (at about 5am). Had to get up at 630 so in total l had 5 hours. Felt terrible all day.

Are you saying I should have got up at 3am? My body woke me up then and wouldn't let me go back to sleep, so I must have had all the sleep I need??

No. If i were to get up then I would've felt tired, lethargic, moody, had trouble concentrating, had aching eyes, and felt generally useless and cr*ppy all day. - all the symptoms I feel when i get less than 6 hours. Because of feeling this way all day, I would likely have wanted to go to bed at 9pm the following night also, which would mess up my patterns even worse.

I KNOW how much sleep I need (6/7/8 hours in order to feel good the following day), but for some f*cked up reason, my body/brain isn't letting me have it :-(

I remember the days in my late teens/early twenties where I could sleep for 10/12/14 hours (absolute heaven!!).

I consider 6 to be a good night now :-(

REALLY annoys me when people who have 8/9/10/12 hours sleep a night and can fall asleep in front of the tv start dishing out their 'wisdom' about sleeping. I too used to be able to sleep well. Now I don't, and I hate it. Grrrr.

6.5-7.5 hours.

Although i am one of these people that can't sleep on a plane so i was awake for around 30 hours straight for my trip back from new york to australia (including airport stopoffs where i also didn't sleep).I then slept for 12 hours straight when i finally got to bed.

Intense exercise at about 6-8pm is a great way of ensuring you feel great and wide awake for the rest of the evening - and then just suddenly collapse into a deep sleep around 11-12. Works for me anyway.

2-3 beers between 10-30 and 11-30 will generally do for me.

For instance, I went to bed at 1130 the other night, and woke up at 3am. Thats 3.5hrs sleep. I struggled and struggled to get back to sleep, and did eventually manage (at about 5am). Had to get up at 630 so in total l had 5 hours. Felt terrible all day.

Are you saying I should have got up at 3am? My body woke me up then and wouldn't let me go back to sleep, so I must have had all the sleep I need??

Is that because you've got sleep problems or because you're forcing yourself to go to bed earlier than your body is really ready for? Some people naturally go to bed early and get up early, some the reverse (and many in between) but society mostly forces a degree of conformity that doesn't work well for some people. If I try going to bed before 2am I just wake up a few hours later and can't get back to sleep. Unfortunately that leaves a bit tired during the day (although not too badly) because it means getting up a bit earlier than I really need to in order to go in to work.

2-3 beers between 10-30 and 11-30 will generally do for me.

Exercise then a couple of beers. Sleep heaven.

Very true, especially if the exercise involves a good woman.

Now you are just taking the piss. :lol:

That night sounds like heaven never mind sleep heaven. Although would I have to converse with the burd or would she just leave when I had had enough ? Now that would be good.