House Price Crash Forum
easy2012

Nobody Minds Cheap Stuff

http://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesleadershipforum/2011/10/10/thank-you-china-for-keeping-the-renminbi-cheap/

I live in Los Angeles. Like many other Angelenos, I used to shop at Vons or Ralph’s or Albertsons for milk. Well, not any more. A Target store in the neighborhood recently started to stock its shelves with daily groceries, including milk. Regular milk at Vons or Ralph’s or Albertsons is $3.50 per half gallon. Organic milk at the Target store: $3.13. Like my middle class neighbors, I quickly abandoned the traditional grocery stores to shop for my daily groceries at Target.

Nobody has complained about Target selling cheap milk. My neighbor, Johnny, who lives down the street, used to work for Vons, in the dairy department. He was laid off. He isn’t complaining about Target either. Johnny now buys his milk from Target. In fact, he buys a lot of organic milk there to make organic cookies in the little doughnut shop that he opened not long ago. Business has been great. Johnny also buys a lot of organic milk because his son, Mickey, drinks a lot of milk and is overweight. But Johnny isn’t complaining about Target selling milk at a price that Vons can’t compete with. Nor is he complaining about Target for Mickey’s milk.

etc

Consumers don't really care how cheap stuffs are produced, as long as it doesn't affect their job (they rare care if their action affects other people jobs)

This is just how it is...

Comes down to money in my book too. Which probably makes me public enemy number one for not caring about Tescoisation and being too bloody tight to pay six times the amount at the local farmers market and alledgedly doing my bit for the environmenmt. And destroying UK jobs by buying all those cheap imports.

Obviously people will go for the cheaper option. And in that respect, progress towards cheaper items will cost some their job.

However, lets be very aware of the false economies some of these "cheapies" really are. What's the point of paying a pound for something when it falls apart and needs replacing a week later? It's a waste of time *&* money.

I think it's pretty shocking that major stores are now stocking this s*** and even pricing it as if it were decent quality stuff. I hope they too will learn that it's pointless selling tat when it breaks and is inevitably returned for a refund. An example being some sunglasses I bought from Sainsburys. I deliberately paid more for theirs because a pair I bought on ebay fell apart. And guess what? The Sainsburys pair also fell apart shortly after. "Made In China" :angry:

Obviously people will go for the cheaper option. And in that respect, progress towards cheaper items will cost some their job.

However, lets be very aware of the false economies some of these "cheapies" really are. What's the point of paying a pound for something when it falls apart and needs replacing a week later? It's a waste of time *&* money.

I think it's pretty shocking that major stores are now stocking this s*** and even pricing it as if it were decent quality stuff. I hope they too will learn that it's pointless selling tat when it breaks and is inevitably returned for a refund. An example being some sunglasses I bought from Sainsburys. I deliberately paid more for theirs because a pair I bought on ebay fell apart. And guess what? The Sainsburys pair also fell apart shortly after. "Made In China" :angry:

Some truth in cheap stuff falling apart. There are some things like shoes where maybe paying more is cheaper in the long run. A pair of Clarkes will do about 2000 miles at £29.99 (still made in Cambodia). A cheap £9.99 pair can be through in say 100 miles, less than two weeks walking for me. But in other cases... what's the difference between no frills UHT skimmed milk at 49p a litre and the normal supermarket brand at 78p a litre other than the fact the cow is depicted in colour on the 78p line.

Here in Japan goods are expensive. I suspect this mainly due to the fact that it is often difficult to find non-Japanese goods, particularly white goods and other electronic goods. Salesmen told us Japanese consumers will pay the extra for the peace of mind and quality, there isn't the demand for foreign goods, other than very high end US and European.

I might be stating the obvious here, but as I was off work last Friday I went to the local market, where I found a farmer/butcher who sold all its home-raised produce.

I bought 6 beef burgers for 3.25£ and as I had them I remembered what beef really tastes like.

No more Tesco meat for me. ******ing 'orrible stuff that is.

what's the difference between no frills UHT skimmed milk at 49p a litre and the normal supermarket brand at 78p a litre other than the fact the cow is depicted in colour on the 78p line.

Milk goes sour, you see; unless it's UHT milk, but there's no demand for that because it's sh!te.

Edited by Diver Dan

Milk goes sour, you see; unless it's UHT milk, but there's no demand for that because it's sh!te.

I was actually trying to compare apples with apples ie. UHT skimmed with UHT skimmed and pointing out that you just pay for the fancy packaging; but apologise as I didn't make that clear. It's all a matter of taste really, after being on skimmed for years full fat or even semi-fat milk tastes bloody horrible.

You get used to UHT milk. Out in France you would have little choice as fresh milk is expensive and harder to come by, not least the vast distances to the supermarket if you live out in rural France.

You get used to UHT milk. Out in France you would have little choice as fresh milk is expensive and harder to come by, not least the vast distances to the supermarket if you live out in rural France.

And from some of your earlier posts I had you down as a contrarian on low fat food such as promoting red meat and butter.

Edited by crashmonitor

I was actually trying to compare apples with apples ie. UHT skimmed with UHT skimmed and pointing out that you just pay for the fancy packaging; but apologise as I didn't make that clear. It's all a matter of taste really, after being on skimmed for years full fat or even semi-fat milk tastes bloody horrible.

I was quoting from Father Ted. I always use that quote when someone mentions UHT.

I agree with the idea that people prefer to buy cheap rubbish that needs to be replaced more often tha something decent that will last. Look at shoes, a decent pair with welted leather soles can cost as little as £50 and you can add segs and new heels as they wear out; or you can get a pair for £25 or less that will fall apart in a few months. Yet people still buy the crap version as a false-economy.

Mind you, quality and price are not always linked, I spent over £40 on a pair of Converse sneakers and the soles wore out very quickly, I will be buying Pumas again next time.

Best milk in the world is of course Dawn Hi-Lo (High in protein, low in fat).

Edited by Diver Dan