House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gone baby gone

Wall Street Journal Circulation Scam Claims Senior Murdoch Executive

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/oct/12/wall-street-journal-andrew-langhoff

One of Rupert Murdoch's most senior European executives has resigned following Guardian inquiries about a circulation scam at News Corporation's flagship newspaper, the Wall Street Journal.

The Guardian found evidence that the Journal had been channelling money through European companies in order to secretly buy thousands of copies of its own paper at a knock-down rate, misleading readers and advertisers about the Journal's true circulation.

The bizarre scheme included a formal, written contract in which the Journal persuaded one company to co-operate by agreeing to publish articles that promoted its activities, a move which led some staff to accuse the paper's management of violating journalistic ethics and jeopardising its treasured reputation for editorial quality.

Internal emails and documents suggest the scam was promoted by Andrew Langhoff, the European managing director of the Journal's parent company, Dow Jones and Co, which was bought by Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation in July 2007. Langhoff resigned on Tuesday.

I wonder how many fake users are being created to make the Times paywall look like a success?.. :lol::lol:

Long suspected that the media seem to be just operating a "circulation myth" business model, presumably to secure advertising revenue.

Interesting that the News of the World was pulled immediately when their advertisement bookings pulled out over the hacking scandal.

Edited by worst time buyer

http://www.guardian....andrew-langhoff

I wonder how many fake users are being created to make the Times paywall look like a success?.. :lol::lol:

What I hate about the Times is that they keep the Google spiders out.

I don't mind stuff being hidden behind a pay wall.

But when I know it exists and google can't find even a protected reference to it...

An example is the "Dirty Fritz [put you in the doo doo*]" story in the Sunday Times.

Only people who bought the Times by choice will have seen this.

*stuff inside brackets is from memory and will be flawed. "Dirty Fritz" I am pretty sure of as a true quote.

Edited by Timm

There's also something funny going on with free newspapers in WH Smith.

Often it's The Times.

You buy a mag, go to pay, and they ask if you want a free copy of The Times, and if you say no they scan it through anyway. Last night I managed to stop the guy from doing that.

A variant is where you buy a bottle of water, and they offer you a larger bottle for only a pound. Only after you say "Yes, Ok" do they tell you the water comes free with a copy of The Times, and you are actually paying for the newspaper.

The staff definitely seem to be under orders to get as many of these newspapers scanned as possible, even by lying if that is required.

There's also something funny going on with free newspapers in WH Smith.

Often it's The Times.

You buy a mag, go to pay, and they ask if you want a free copy of The Times, and if you say no they scan it through anyway. Last night I managed to stop the guy from doing that.

A variant is where you buy a bottle of water, and they offer you a larger bottle for only a pound. Only after you say "Yes, Ok" do they tell you the water comes free with a copy of The Times, and you are actually paying for the newspaper.

The staff definitely seem to be under orders to get as many of these newspapers scanned as possible, even by lying if that is required.

I'm sure the Guardian would love to hear all about it.