House Price Crash Forum

La Insist On Charging Me For Plumber..

Hello,

Another gem of a story from renting...

I have just given a notice to quit because LA wanted 7.5% increase in rent AND £100+VAT for a new agreement.

I said I quit and told them the exact condition on when viewing to take place (24 hr written notice, only in my presence).

They just sent me acknowledgement letter and also another letter (bill).

The bill is for over £100 for a plumber. The charge is for 2 hours, although he was in the flat for 10 min.

The story is that one day I got home, switched on the light and fuse went off. I went to reset fuse box but found heating/ hot water was not working. I have called LA who said that plumber is already in the building next day (LL owns the whole building) and he will have a look. Basically he turned up for 10min and fixed the problem. As far as I am aware I notified LA of the fault and as this was to do with electric/gas I haven`t touched it.

This was over a month ago.

Anyway, I checked the contract and it only states that I will be liable for contractor charges IF I call the plumber out WITHOUT calling the LA office first (unless emergency).

LA state that because I called the contractor out unnecessarily I have to pay. Who is right?? I haven`t made contractual relationship? Surely £100 is excessive for callout?

PS: Yes I am quite sensible and wouldn`t call plumber out just because I can`t switch on the fuse. My boyfriend also tried and couldn`t get I to work.

Tell your LL its not your problem to get things fixed that break that are not your fault,thats what you pay rent for .... living in a house without the maintenance costs.I fear in these difficult economic times certain LL's are going to take advantage or should i say the p@ss out of tenents. :o

IANAL, but ...

Surely you should just dispute the bill, on the grounds that you've told us? Though perhaps get someone to review your letter, as it isn't 100% clear.

If you had called the contractor yourself, why should they have sent the bill to the agent and not to you? It's hard to see how they have a leg to stand on unless you reported a fault that never actually existed.

(though not having a leg to stand on isn't necessarily a hindrance to them)

Either

1. Send the bill back to them accompanied with a photo of you giving them the finger

Or

2. Send the bill back to them with a disingeneous letter saying the bill must have been sent to you in error as the contract clearly states this is the LL's responsibility and you contacted him about the problem etc etc etc

Either way, don't pay the bill

Hello,

I emailed back and forwards with them and it went like this:

Me: As per rental agreement, I have called you to let you know that the heating/ hot water is not working. You have decided to send the plumber around. Plumber apparently diagnosed this as me switching off the boiler (and therefore my fault). He charged the LL for 2 hrs of time. LL didn`t query it with me and paid the bill. You now would like to deduct this from my deposit...

LA: It is a common knowledge that when plumber is called out unnecessarily T has to pay. We will not contact the plumber because we use him all the time and he wouldn`t lie. He wrote that T was at fault on invoice and charged for 2 hours.

Me: But, the contract was between LL and plumber.

LA: It will be deducted from your deposit.

Me: You mean that you will propose to deduct from deposit and either court or TDS adjudicator will decide.

LA: TDS will decide, you can`t go to court.

Me: Yes you can, etc.... I will see you at court.

So the question is: "Is it common that T is charged for repairs, which belong to LL but end up being tenants fault?". I mean, I didn`t really want to mess with electrics, boiler, etc..

Thanks!

Hello,

I emailed back and forwards with them and it went like this:

Me: As per rental agreement, I have called you to let you know that the heating/ hot water is not working. You have decided to send the plumber around. Plumber apparently diagnosed this as me switching off the boiler (and therefore my fault). He charged the LL for 2 hrs of time. LL didn`t query it with me and paid the bill. You now would like to deduct this from my deposit...

LA: It is a common knowledge that when plumber is called out unnecessarily T has to pay. We will not contact the plumber because we use him all the time and he wouldn`t lie. He wrote that T was at fault on invoice and charged for 2 hours.

Me: But, the contract was between LL and plumber.

LA: It will be deducted from your deposit.

Me: You mean that you will propose to deduct from deposit and either court or TDS adjudicator will decide.

LA: TDS will decide, you can`t go to court.

Me: Yes you can, etc.... I will see you at court.

So the question is: "Is it common that T is charged for repairs, which belong to LL but end up being tenants fault?". I mean, I didn`t really want to mess with electrics, boiler, etc..

Thanks!

What did the plumber do to fix it? Did he replace a fuse or just switch the boiler back on?

I get the impression from all that has been said that some sort of trip switch had been thrown and you didn't know how to reset it and the plumber was called out and reset the thing. On the face of it its down to you as you had them call out the plumber uneccessarily, however, did the agent/LL take you through the operation of the boiler or were detailed instructions left and can they prove this, as you are not a gas engineer to go flicking switches randomly could damage both the appliance and your health. We had much the same when we moved in, the system pressure had dropped and we had no idea how to repressurise it, its gone to low a couple of times but the plumber showed me what to do (caused by a very slow leak on one of the radiators that the LL is to dumb to think might be a good idea to fix.

I get the impression from all that has been said that some sort of trip switch had been thrown and you didn't know how to reset it and the plumber was called out and reset the thing. On the face of it its down to you as you had them call out the plumber uneccessarily, however, did the agent/LL take you through the operation of the boiler or were detailed instructions left and can they prove this, as you are not a gas engineer to go flicking switches randomly could damage both the appliance and your health. We had much the same when we moved in, the system pressure had dropped and we had no idea how to repressurise it, its gone to low a couple of times but the plumber showed me what to do (caused by a very slow leak on one of the radiators that the LL is to dumb to think might be a good idea to fix.

Hello,

no, no they didn`t try to figure out what was wrong on the phone and no there is no booklet or detailed instructions.

Plumber was already in the building that day anyway, attending to another flat.

I wouldn`t even have problem paying for an hour, hovewer tehy want me to pay for TWO!

Hello,

no, no they didn`t try to figure out what was wrong on the phone and no there is no booklet or detailed instructions.

Plumber was already in the building that day anyway, attending to another flat.

I wouldn`t even have problem paying for an hour, hovewer tehy want me to pay for TWO!

I meant when you moved in you should have been taen through the operation of the thing, but they never do.

I wouldn`t even have problem paying for an hour

I would. Unless they explained clearly there could be such a charge.

If you offer that, I expect they'll rub their hands with glee. Mission accomplished, sucker bullied into submission.

Perhaps you suspect you really were at fault? Maybe you really were, or maybe they've bullied you into thinking you were. Do you have someone who can talk it over in person, and see the offending hardware as you explain what was wrong and what you did?

I'm guessing[1] you may be young and rather new to having a house to look after: maybe a parent (or someone of their generation) who's been doing it for many years would be a good candidate?

[1] Not least because they'd be less likely to try on something like that against a victim with the life experience of a few more years.

[edit - to add] Come to think of it, this is such a clear case of bullying it might even be worth trying to get officialdom involved. Others here may be able to say if this falls within the remit of anyone at the council (like trading standards?). You'd be doing other prospective victims a favour if you can help bring the disapproving eye of officialdom on this agent. If they've had other reports of such abuse, yours might even be the one to spur them into action!

Edited by porca misèria
  • 3 months later...

Well, just an update. After moving out, I submitted a case with TDS as the agent would not respond to my three letters at all (requests for deposit return). The paperwork was sent to agents by TDS and they have mentioned what the deduction was for, but haven`t provided any proof, therefore my money was returned to me in full.

Thanks for your help.

Maria

Well, just an update. After moving out, I submitted a case with TDS as the agent would not respond to my three letters at all (requests for deposit return). The paperwork was sent to agents by TDS and they have mentioned what the deduction was for, but haven`t provided any proof, therefore my money was returned to me in full.

Thanks for your help.

Maria

Well done you. Did you have many viewings and did the LL find a new tenant?

I did allow one viewing. Made sure the flat had empty bottles/ diry clothes/closed curtains/ musty smell/heaps of rubbish everywhere scenario. I also helpfully pointed out aircraft and traffic noise, opening the windows in the process.

They never wanted to come back after that.

I think the flat was filled quite quickly, but still had a month void.

Thanks for your help.

Maria

Result, one LL with less money stolen from deposits.

landlord is a company registered in Jersey, no income tax to pay..

Actually, for an overseas landlord, it's a legal requirement that the agent deduct estimated income tax from the rent and pay it direct to HMRC. It's up to the landlord to claim back any overpayment, if the agent's estimate was incorrect.

Edited by ChumpusRex

Sounds like an anonymous tipoff to HMRC might be in order.

accordinfg to plumber he flicked the switch t the heater.. hovewer I couldn`t reset the main swich box, as it kept going off, you know similarly when bulb goes and you have to reset it.. Hope it makes sense.

RCD breakers don't just trip because they feel like it: they trip because of a fault somewhere in the circuit causes them to, in order to prevent that fault causing danger. If, therefore, you had an RCD switch that kept tripping immediately you reset it, that very definitely does call for the attention of a professional. Unnecessary callout my ãrse.