House Price Crash Forum

War

Bosh

It is obvious that the Americans are keen on conflict with Iran. Even before these latest efforts to push a conflict I keep reading snippets that a big war will be great for the US economy and possibly ours. I am not sure of why this will benefit us financially.

War in Iraq and Afghanistan have not exactly provided us with any perceived boost in funds.

We are more skint than ever. Apparantly it is costing us fortunes that we are being told we can not afford.

I understand the excuse for attacking Iran before they fully develop the big bomb. Will the boost in the economy come from Oil grab?

Is it job creation?

Do we create wealth from bombing Iran and then getting contracts to rebuild Iran?

We have only just paid the bill for WW2...

Anyone?

It is obvious that the Americans are keen on conflict with Iran. Even before these latest efforts to push a conflict I keep reading snippets that a big war will be great for the US economy and possibly ours. I am not sure of why this will benefit us financially.

War in Iraq and Afghanistan have not exactly provided us with any perceived boost in funds.

We are more skint than ever. Apparantly it is costing us fortunes that we are being told we can not afford.

I understand the excuse for attacking Iran before they fully develop the big bomb. Will the boost in the economy come from Oil grab?

Is it job creation?

Do we create wealth from bombing Iran and then getting contracts to rebuild Iran?

Anyone?

The 'We/Us' who stand to become wealthier is not the same as the 'We/Us' that's going to pay for it

The two groups do not overlap to any significant degree

The 'We/Us' who stand to become wealthier is not the same as the 'We/Us' that's going to pay for it

I suppose that any such war would just have the objective of destroying Iranian infrastructure from the air; to put Iran 'in it's place' and show who is boss. I don't see the US putting forces on the ground. Wouldn't be good for oil prices though.

I don't really see any evidence of the US wanting to go to war with Iran. At some point they might take the opportunity to damage Iran's weapons development infrastructure, but that would be about it.

Anyone who thinks that war is a good thing needs psychiatric treatment. At best, war is the lesser of two evils in some circumstances. Unfortunately, some people profit from war at others expense. Particularly, of course, the winners.

Is it job creation?

Anyone?

If you stare at a mirror you see the reflection. What's going on behind it...

Iraq = cheap oil, petrodollars must be enforced, Saddam wanted to sell his oil in Euro's.

Afghanistan = reinstate opium cultivation after Taliban banned it. Helmand is the key, it provides one third of the worlds supply. That is big big business! Where are the most troops stationed again? Oh yeah...

Libya = oil, Gaddafi wanted to launch a Gold currency and sell his oil in gold.

You can execute the leaders of places like Iraq and Libya and acquire oil. Afghanistan - why not invest in modern intensive indoor agriculture and renewable energy instead. Be cheaper, more productive and negate the need for belligerents.

Is it job creation?

Anyone?

since the USA has removed all props that surround isreal, they will probably let of a flalse flag nuke in one of americas mid cities and blame it on iran. i dont think egypt and syria wont stand for much more of the works of isreal.

War isnt economically beneficial because of the money spent - thats always a net loss (see broken window falacy) . It does sometime however beneficial side effects such consolidation of industries and technological advancements. Your much better off having a good old fasioned short sharp deep recession, but apparently thats now allowed any more ...

This is exactly it.

Lets look at Iraq. The shareholders of companies that won reconstruction contracts did very well indeed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investment_in_post-invasion_Iraq#Corruption

Halliburton being a familiar name that appears in that corruption section.

wars at the moment are doing nothing for the economy.

maybe you forgot IRAQ, AFGHANISTAN, coverty ops throughout the middle east, Massive fleets around the world and now troops on the ground in Libya.

a net loss to the community as a whole

a bit of a result for glaziers and money lenders

We really need people to learn the broken window fallacy, fallacy.

If an oppressed person smashes the window of an opressor...

Exploitative banks as an example. My town has a glass factory, it also has banks. If the banks windows are smashed it is different. The banks don't add to our economy. ph34r.gif

If you stare at a mirror you see the reflection. What's going on behind it...

Iraq = cheap oil, petrodollars must be enforced, Saddam wanted to sell his oil in Euro's.

Afghanistan = reinstate opium cultivation after Taliban banned it. Helmand is the key, it provides one third of the worlds supply. That is big big business! Where are the most troops stationed again? Oh yeah...

Libya = oil, Gaddafi wanted to launch a Gold currency and sell his oil in gold.

You can execute the leaders of places like Iraq and Libya and acquire oil. Afghanistan - why not invest in modern intensive indoor agriculture and renewable energy instead. Be cheaper, more productive and negate the need for belligerents.

There's more to Afghanistan than just opium. Have you seen the latest USGS results ?

I often wonder the same. Rather than the US spend its money on wars to fight people a long way away to secure oil why not simply invest the money on internal renewable infrastructure instead ?

There are, of course, some reasons why ...

Historically, the US has come out of every war since the American Civil War richer. I am not sure where or how the past 10 years stands in those figures - it is probably too early to tell.

Taking Iran out now will secure the Middle East's oil for the US. Saudi on one side, US bases in Afghanistan on the other. An often unreported little war going on in Afghanistan is what is going on on the Iran/Afghanistan border - lots of watching and posturing, occasional skirmishes.

I fear that a lot of people are going to die in the coming months over this. For the life of me why would Iran be so stupid to try and assassinate the ambassador of their third biggest rival on the soil of their biggest rival?

Historically, the US has come out of every war since the American Civil War richer. I am not sure where or how the past 10 years stands in those figures - it is probably too early to tell.

Taking Iran out now will secure the Middle East's oil for the US. Saudi on one side, US bases in Afghanistan on the other. An often unreported little war going on in Afghanistan is what is going on on the Iran/Afghanistan border - lots of watching and posturing, occasional skirmishes.

I fear that a lot of people are going to die in the coming months over this. For the life of me why would Iran be so stupid to try and assassinate the ambassador of their third biggest rival on the soil of their biggest rival?

Because they didn't. Utter drivel worthy of goebals or goering.

Iran is a large area of land with humans living on it. Land does not assasinate ambassadors.

There might have been some sort of conspiracy but if there was a conspiracy, my money would bet it was a set of bad people in ameria trying to make it look like some humans living far away were bad,,

The ameria government and their lackeys simply have no credibility anymore. They have certainly for me become a joke. Impossible to take them seriously. Ten year old's at best.

There's more to Afghanistan than just opium. Have you seen the latest USGS results ?

I often wonder the same. Rather than the US spend its money on wars to fight people a long way away to secure oil why not simply invest the money on internal renewable infrastructure instead ?

There are, of course, some reasons why ...

Heavy metals I presume?

Somali oil soon...

Rare earths apparently. And a ton of iron ore.

AFAIK no one has been in surveying that part of the world for a long time.

Somehow I just can't see the Yanks pulling out and letting the Chinese do a land grab like they are in Africa.

We shall see.

Afghan's natural resources have been surveyed, known about and coveted for decades...

Afghan Chamber of Commerce - Mining in Afghanistan

and

“…the Eurasian Balkans are infinitely more important as a potential economic prize: an enormous concentration of natural gas and oil reserves is located in the region, in addition to important minerals, including gold (page 124),” and “America’s global primacy is directly dependent on how long and how effectively its preponderance on the Euraisian continent is sustained…A power that dominates Eurasia would control two of the world’s three most advanced and economically productive regions…most of the world’s physical wealth is there as well, both in its enterprises and underneath its soil (page 30-31).”

as for the Chinese 'grabbing' resources, they've been trying to secure what they want through trade and co-operation - as opposed to relying on plastering the developing world with bad cheques and cluster-bombs

a net loss to the community as a whole

a bit of a result for glaziers and money lenders

Indeed. The USA did very well out of the two World Wars in the 20th because they manufactured most of the weapons used by the western allies in the conflicts but only had to stump up cash for the ones they used themselves. The vast bulk of the cost fell on the British Empire which essentially had to be put into liquidation to pay for it. That sort of historical opportunity is unlikely to occur again for the Yanks.

Archived