House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Premier League Is A Bubble - Liverpool May Burst It Over Tv Rights

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/oct/11/liverpool-breakaway-tv-deal

"What is absolutely certain is that, with the greatest of respect to our colleagues in the Premier League, but if you're a Bolton fan in Bolton, then you subscribe to Sky because you want to watch Bolton. Everyone gets that. Likewise, if you're a Liverpool fan from Liverpool, you subscribe. But if you're in Kuala Lumpur there isn't anyone subscribing to Astro, or ESPN to watch Bolton, or if they are it's a very small number. Whereas the large majority are subscribing because they want to watch Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea or Arsenal.

"If Real Madrid or Barcelona or other big European clubs have the opportunity to truly realise their international media value potential, where does that leave Liverpool and Manchester United? We'll just share ours because we'll all be nice to each other? The whole phenomenon of the Premier League could be threatened. If they just get bigger and bigger and they generate more and more, then all the players will start drifting that way and will the Premier League bubble burst because we are sticking to this equal-sharing model? It's a real debate that has to happen."

Liverpool insist their radical proposals are limited to overseas broadcasting, although success on that front could set a precedent domestically in the long term, and the club plans to raise the issue at the next Premier League meeting. Ayre's frank admission comes almost one year on from Fenway Sports Group acquiring the club from Tom Hicks and George Gillett in the high court and, along with broadcasting revenue, another major financial decision to be resolved by the American owners remains whether to construct a new stadium or redevelop their current home, Anfield.

Nice, so clearly the best thing for the Prem League in terms of Revenue is for Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U to form there own little league and have all the TV rights money as clearly people only want to watch them. I mean Liverpool vs Bolton isn't going to be a bigger draw as Liverpool Vs Man U. We might as well maximise revenue potential to stop the bubble from bursting.

The sporting aspect is lost it's all about the money, they might as well create there own little super league wit all the big clubs and get on with it.

I think liverpool are flattering themselves by putting themselves in the elite club. The elite are now Man United, Man City and Chelski. Liverpool are in the next bracket down with Arsenal and Tottenham.

Doing TV deals like this would make the premier league even less competative - leading to less enjoyment. Lets not have Asian glory hunters spoil the PL.

I think liverpool are flattering themselves by putting themselves in the elite club. The elite are now Man United, Man City and Chelski. Liverpool are in the next bracket down with Arsenal and Tottenham.

Doing TV deals like this would make the premier league even less competative - leading to less enjoyment. Lets not have Asian glory hunters spoil the PL.

In case you hadn't noticed an Aussie/Yankee glory hunter already has.Let the big 3/4/5/6 play each other every week.As a Norwich City supporter I would far rather watch my team play Swansea,Blackpool,Ipswich,Forest,Derby etc.

I don't think this is in reference to current footballing ability, but more to do with marketplace popularity.

Man city would have a worldwide fanbase willing to watch them on PTV even if they were two leagues down, for example.

I'm not sure how it'd pan out, but the overseas audience numbers would have a very different league table to the actual football that's for sure.

In case you hadn't noticed an Aussie/Yankee glory hunter already has.Let the big 3/4/5/6 play each other every week.As a Norwich City supporter I would far rather watch my team play Swansea,Blackpool,Ipswich,Forest,Derby etc.

Just wait till next season then.

football is sh1t.I'd pay to watch it if they brawled more.

being the w@nkers they are and not man enough to actually risk a kicking,they insult the referee as a way of displaying for the females.at some point,they sometimes kick a white ball around the field.truly a game for women and kids.

find it sad that taxpayers are subsisdising these clubs.

The disrespect players and managers have for the officials is a disgrace. You don't see it in rugby matches.

One way to remove the aggro is to offer the same system they have in tennis. Three opportunities for each team to refer disputes to a fourth official who uses technology to make a decision.

Opponents of technology in football claim it will interrupt the flow of the game but by limiting the number of appeals to three that problem is removed. You have to wonder why Sepp Blatter opposes the idea.

You can be sure that introducing this system would remove bad feeling from matches leaving players to concentrate on quality play rather than vendetta.

I wonder if Murdoch is resisting the introduction of technology in football.

As flashpoints make great copy Murdoch actually has a vested interest in preventing the game becoming more civilised, despite it improving quality of play.

Just wait till next season then.

Well yes,we've already factored in our relegation from the start of the season.So for us staying up would be equivalent to one of the top clubs winning the title.We also have the possibility of depriving one of them of the title by nicking a couple of points.We

held out against United for 72 minutes and it took Chelsea plus the ref to beat us at Stamford Bridge.

The disrespect players and managers have for the officials is a disgrace. You don't see it in rugby matches.

One way to remove the aggro is to offer the same system they have in tennis. Three opportunities for each team to refer disputes to a fourth official who uses technology to make a decision.

Opponents of technology in football claim it will interrupt the flow of the game but by limiting the number of appeals to three that problem is removed. You have to wonder why Sepp Blatter opposes the idea.

You can be sure that introducing this system would remove bad feeling from matches leaving players to concentrate on quality play rather than vendetta.

Or just have the same system as Cricket, where disputing the Umpire's decision will get you fined, and going up and shouting at them/threatening them will get you fined and banned for severl matches, and any physical attack would mean an immediate match forfiet.

Policy of the Premiership is that all TV rights are grouped. Regardless of current TV deal expiring in 2013 it would require 14/20 votes to approve change of policy to sell rights individually.

Elite in what sense? Elite as in the best teams? That's not necessary what is being talked about here. The draw of Liverpool in countries outside of the UK is massive, and is probably only matched by Man U. This is the case despite the fact they have not been overly successful in the past few years.

same thing is gonna happen as in scotland. scottish football is truly decimated just now, even celtic and rangers cant fill there grounds anymore. the public have simply got bored of football. when you have the same couple of teams winning everything year after year in the end the supporters drift away.

The premiership in england needs the boltons and norwich cities, its completely vital to the game, they need also the blackburns and newcastles to win sometimes as well. english premiership is on the edge of going scottish and the fans will just drift away in the end from sheer boredom. I saw this happen in the 80s, though football violence played a part in this.

i work in lancashire a lot and get to a few blackpool games.

up the pool

Policy of the Premiership is that all TV rights are grouped. Regardless of current TV deal expiring in 2013 it would require 14/20 votes to approve change of policy to sell rights individually.

So the greedy clubs will have to sweeten the deal for the smaller clubs to do along with it? ie splitting match revenues 50/50 or 60/40 when they play a big club?

being the w@nkers they are and not man enough to actually risk a kicking,they insult the referee as a way of displaying for the females.at some point,they sometimes kick a white ball around the field.truly a game for women and kids.

find it sad that taxpayers are subsisdising these clubs.

Don't know if I agree or disagree as it's hard to figure out what you are actually saying. I could make out the last sentence but "taxpayers subsidising these clubs?" What's that all about?

Try Ice Hockey -a good punch up earns just 10 mins in the sin bin!

3846024978.jpg

I've really gone off prem league footy - I just loath the sheer greed and avarice of it all. The big clubs are disconnected from their host communities and could almost play behind closed doors as long as the global TV money and merchandising revenue kept coming in.

same thing is gonna happen as in scotland. scottish football is truly decimated just now, even celtic and rangers cant fill there grounds anymore. the public have simply got bored of football. when you have the same couple of teams winning everything year after year in the end the supporters drift away.

The premiership in england needs the boltons and norwich cities, its completely vital to the game, they need also the blackburns and newcastles to win sometimes as well. english premiership is on the edge of going scottish and the fans will just drift away in the end from sheer boredom. I saw this happen in the 80s, though football violence played a part in this.

i work in lancashire a lot and get to a few blackpool games.

up the pool

Yep football is dying a death. And I for one welcome it. The sooner the better. It can then try and build up from scratch into something the fans actually want.

Football - the only business where the owners completely ignore and refuse to listen to what the customers want. And usually get away with it.

Yep football is dying a death. And I for one welcome it. The sooner the better. It can then try and build up from scratch into something the fans actually want.

Football - the only business where the owners completely ignore and refuse to listen to what the customers want. And usually get away with it.

Yup - rebuild along the German model where fans own the club and it's a tenner to see a big game. It works for Bayern M and their not slouches at winning big international trophies either.

It will only happen in England though if the speculators manage to destroy the existing setup first.

http://newsthump.com/2011/10/12/liverpool-executives-somehow-under-impression-its-still-1986/

Liverpool executives somehow under impression it’s still 1986

Liverpool executives have reopened the international television rights debate after somehow placing themselves alongside the Premier League’s most successful clubs.

The current overseas deal is worth £1.4bn and is due to finish in 2013, to coincide with Liverpool’s 23rd anniversary of last winning the actual league they’re part of.

The club, with zero premier league titles to its name, insists it deserves more money than the clubs it plays against because it had quite a good team before the Internet was invented.

A Liverpool spokesperson said, “We as a club strongly believe that we are more important than the others, and that our own needs should be met before anyone elses.”

“I wouldn’t piss on Bolton if they were on fire, so we should definitely get the money that they’re currently getting from all those foreigners. It’s common sense.”

Liverpool TV rights

Premier League insiders have said they are not concerned by Liverpool’s current stance, insisting that the stereotypical scouse trait of having an over-inflated sense of self-entitlement is just that, a lazy stereotype.

“I’m sure they’ll come to their senses any minute now,” they concluded.

Football fan Simon Jones told us, “Of course, we should all try not to lose sight of what’s really important here.”

“And that’s that in the week the Hillsborough petition calling for the release of documents from the enquiry into the deaths of 96 fans gets discussed in Parliament, Liverpool FC should focus on dominating the news agenda by trying to find new ways to fund their rather expensive violent Geordie habit.”

Yup - rebuild along the German model where fans own the club and it's a tenner to see a big game. It works for Bayern M and their not slouches at winning big international trophies either.

It will only happen in England though if the speculators manage to destroy the existing setup first.

Yep. Just go around other countries and see what works best. Then come back and choose the best bits and stick it all together.

Scotland had some bit look into football in the late 70's. Ernie Walker I think. He came back and pretty much said we should scrap what we had and instead set up a system with academys based on the total football so successfull in another small country - Holland.

The SFA threw it out as they preferred it the way it was. This is who we haev running the game in this country.

Look at the English FA too. The new much talked about national training academy in Burton (IIRC) was delayed by numerous years because of the cost of Wembley. Quite ridiculous. I am sure Wembley could have coped with a few fewer toilets and escalators at the expense of having a national academy set up ASAP instead.

Is it even open yet ?

Its a very difficult problem to solve, sometimes i believe an american football type system would be best, based basically on schoolground football. ie you pick one for your team then i get to pick one for mine. But the whole raft of employment laws ect would come down upon this, same as having wage caps, the spanish or italians would just cherry pick our best players. All fans should remember celtic won the european cup with a whole team born within 10 miles of the ground, now that im sure would be the dream of all fans, but pretty unrealistic in this day and age sadly.

if i think of anyway to solve this the only way i can think of is to support your local team, forget supporting celtic when you come from forfar or man utd when your from burnley. if the fans supported there local teams then just maybe we could get back to the old type football where everyone just walked to their local ground and teams like dundee and preston got gates of 30k , now have gone for the glory to the bigger clubs and left their local teams in a mess.

then we realy would see the likes of newcastle and birmingham winning the league. that would surely be the kick up the ass football needs. And teams like man u and liverpool wouldnt have the same pull as they do now.

So really in conclusion, its the fans that are to blame for their own problems and there to stupid to realise the solution, instead they blame the money men.

Not applicable to football.

100% would not work.

Not applicable to football.

100% would not work.

Indeed.

The idea that the world's most successful sport could learn something from a trivial and provincial sport like egg-chasing is ludicrous.

Yep. Just go around other countries and see what works best. Then come back and choose the best bits and stick it all together.

Scotland had some bit look into football in the late 70's. Ernie Walker I think. He came back and pretty much said we should scrap what we had and instead set up a system with academys based on the total football so successfull in another small country - Holland.

The SFA threw it out as they preferred it the way it was. This is who we haev running the game in this country.

Look at the English FA too. The new much talked about national training academy in Burton (IIRC) was delayed by numerous years because of the cost of Wembley. Quite ridiculous. I am sure Wembley could have coped with a few fewer toilets and escalators at the expense of having a national academy set up ASAP instead.

Is it even open yet ?

In theory, in Scotland, the game should be played from March to November..although this would go against UEFA/FIFA's plan of standardising a season (for tournament reasons)....boringly, I vaguely remember reading an SFA document, which stated that poor weather conditions put a lot of kids off in the winter..indoor centres cost a lot of money, especially for the smaller clubs..thus not doable.. Kids dont have the coaching time, like they do on the continent & there aren't enough qualified coaches.

The FA had to allow so many concerts to be played at Wembley (to cover the debt), that it destroyed the pitch on a regular basis, and had to be constantly relayed...this made the national side even more woeful, due to the dreadful pitch. Moreover, there was a "scandal" that they spent the best part of 800m on a new stadium, and the head groundsman was only on £30k a year...

Its a very difficult problem to solve, sometimes i believe an american football type system would be best, based basically on schoolground football. ie you pick one for your team then i get to pick one for mine. But the whole raft of employment laws ect would come down upon this, same as having wage caps, the spanish or italians would just cherry pick our best players. All fans should remember celtic won the european cup with a whole team born within 10 miles of the ground, now that im sure would be the dream of all fans, but pretty unrealistic in this day and age sadly.

You think we have any players that would really interest the Spanish? How many current England internationals play in a foreign league.

No one wants our players they are crap, they are just make to look better than they actually when they play alongside the foreigners in league games.