House Price Crash Forum

S.a.d

IWantItNow

HOLA441

Okay, I'm just about to prepare myself for another winter in Oldham and the thought of it fills me with dread. I mean, don't get me wrong, it p*sses it down 340* days a year, the appalling infrastructure, eyesore architecture, f*ckwits and chavs are also here all year round but when you throw in plummeting temperatures and only 7 hours of daylight for the next 6 months I just feel exponentially worse in the winter.

Is it S.A.D? Does S.A.D even exist? Does anyone else feel this way or am I just a miserable git?

* I'm pretty sure that's an accurate guestimate.

HOLA442

Okay, I'm just about to prepare myself for another winter in Oldham and the thought of it fills me with dread. I mean, don't get me wrong, it p*sses it down 340* days a year, the appalling infrastructure, eyesore architecture, f*ckwits and chavs are also here all year round but when you throw in plummeting temperatures and only 7 hours of daylight for the next 6 months I just feel exponentially worse in the winter.

Is it S.A.D? Does S.A.D even exist? Does anyone else feel this way or am I just a miserable git?

Only one way to find out. Get yourself a lightbox, the biggest most powerful one available. Get some high-dose Vitamin D3, and see if you feel better.

Otherwise move. Anywhere.

HOLA443

Only one way to find out. Get yourself a lightbox, the biggest most powerful one available. Get some high-dose Vitamin D3, and see if you feel better.

+1

Also, do not go abroad on hols in Summer, if you do, but pencil in a week in the Canaries or North Africa during Jan/Feb.

HOLA444

At least the rain keeps the chavs away.

At least they chavs can't throw rain-balls at your windows.

It's been pissing it down here in Chadderton for ages and I'm pretty certain my allotment is now under 1ft water.

Does it count as "pissing down" when the clouds are at eye level?

HOLA445

+1

Also, do not go abroad on hols in Summer, if you do, but pencil in a week in the Canaries or North Africa during Jan/Feb.

I spent a month in NZ over xmas/new year 2009 and that winter just didn't seem to exist, before it I had something to look forward to and after it I had the spring to look forward to so it broke it up nicely. Unfortunately I now have a 6 month old an a lot less disposable income so jetting off for a month in the winter is no longer an option, even a week this year is out of the question. That was the last time I got out of this town.

I'm honestly not sure if its the lack of daylight or just being p*ssed off that I'm 30 and about to spend another winter here.

HOLA446
HOLA447

At least the rain keeps the chavs away.

At least they chavs can't throw rain-balls at your windows.

It's been pissing it down here in Chadderton for ages and I'm pretty certain my allotment is now under 1ft water.

Does it count as "pissing down" when the clouds are at eye level?

I'm in Alkrington so just over the border from you but work near Mumps. We don't have a problem with rain-balls, the weapon of choice is usually eggs.

HOLA448

Does a lightbox and D3 really make up for the lack of natural daylight? You have to admit nothing quite beats a walk out in pleasant sunshine, I don't see how supplements can compensate.

What are the winters like in Switzerland in comparison?

HOLA449

I'm in Alkrington so just over the border from you but work near Mumps. We don't have a problem with rain-balls, the weapon of choice is usually eggs.

So you have to fight through the traffic chaos at the moment?

It's insane in town.

Don't go in often but my son is constantly moaning about it as he's at college up in Oldham now.

There's some posh houses in Alkrington

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-19860513.html

(Although it's only part of the hall not all of it)

and this for 100k less

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28162724.html?premiumA=true

with a business there.

;-/

HOLA4410

Not entirely convinced a lightbox is necessary with regular exposure to natural light. Try and get outside a bit more often. Also I'm considering just replacing my CFT's with natural light ones and leaving shades off and having them on for a few hours in the evening (as my flat is usually lit by desk and spot lamps).

My bathroom already contains a fluorescent used in many lightboxes anyway.

Boosting the Vit D intake massively will help (see the Vit D thread) try and get the gelcap versions. The RDA's for VItamin D and iodine/iodide intake are woefully low IMO but do your own research. I'm convinced the "powers that be" want to keep the general populace fat, stupid and ill with underperforming endocrine systems! :rolleyes:

Oh and cut out wheat and junk carbs. Intermittently fast regular (see Embarrassing fat bodies thread...) It all ties in together basically.

I've also been taking ProPlus recently. Gives me super spiderman powers B)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Does a lightbox and D3 really make up for the lack of natural daylight? You have to admit nothing quite beats a walk out in pleasant sunshine, I don't see how supplements can compensate.

The snow does help reflect what little light there is.......shorter daylight hours are not good for the feeling of well being....a lightbox may help, but is a bit impractical for most....getting up early just before sun rise, make your way to an open space with fresh air and get some exercise, walking or cycling....go to bed earlier to get lots of rest anytime after sun set.....make the most of the few daylight hours we do have. ;)

HOLA4414

Not entirely convinced a lightbox is necessary with regular exposure to natural light. Try and get outside a bit more often. Also I'm considering just replacing my CFT's with natural light ones and leaving shades off and having them on for a few hours in the evening (as my flat is usually lit by desk and spot lamps).

My bathroom already contains a fluorescent used in many lightboxes anyway.

Boosting the Vit D intake massively will help (see the Vit D thread) try and get the gelcap versions. The RDA's for VItamin D and iodine/iodide intake are woefully low IMO but do your own research. I'm convinced the "powers that be" want to keep the general populace fat, stupid and ill with underperforming endocrine systems! :rolleyes:

Oh and cut out wheat and junk carbs. Intermittently fast regular (see Embarrassing fat bodies thread...) It all ties in together basically.

I've also been taking ProPlus recently. Gives me super spiderman powers B)

I'll take the advice on the Vit D cheers. Working full time in an office job doesn't give me much scope to get outside and get natural light and did I mention the rain?

I probably eat too much wheat which I'm already on to but it's like anything, when you start cutting out a certain food or whatever, meal planning gets harder. I have access to ephedrine and caffeine (pro plus but with a bit more kick) but only take these when I absolutely need to (which is actually probably never but you know what I mean).

HOLA4415

Those things help, but obviously aren't the same as walking in the sun.

Overall the winters here are better. If I were to stay only in town, winters here would be pretty grim from about mid-November to end January, Geneva gets a covering of low-level cloud generated by the lake which just sits there, trapping pollution and keeping it grey and cold, sometimes for weeks. During that period you pray for windy wet weather fronts to pass through to clear the air and hopefully dump fresh snow on the pistes in the mountains.

Up in the nearby Alps it's a different story, here it is mostly brilliant sunshine. So as often as I can, that's where I go..... An afternoon snowboarding never fails to lift my mood.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I'll take the advice on the Vit D cheers. Working full time in an office job doesn't give me much scope to get outside and get natural light and did I mention the rain?

It's definitely getting darker/cloudier in the north of England. I reckon this year we had about 20 hours of unbroken sunshine in the whole of August - this is NOT an exaggeration.

Also, since the drought was declared (May time?) it has rained at some point on all but about ten days. Even last week's mini heatwave was nothing to write home about - lasting as it did for two days.

HOLA4419

It's definitely getting darker/cloudier in the north of England. I reckon this year we had about 20 hours of unbroken sunshine in the whole of August - this is NOT an exaggeration.

Also, since the drought was declared (May time?) it has rained at some point on all but about ten days. Even last week's mini heatwave was nothing to write home about - lasting as it did for two days.

That is definitely part of the issue, a cracking summer makes a bearable winter IMO. It's been years since we had a good summer, I think 2006 was the last one I remember being good. The only answer is to travel to sunnier climes, nothing extravagant, just rent a small villa with a nice view for a week, a few books, music and wine and that's all you need. Of course I could buy one, I hear Spanish villa's are going for a song these days. ;)

HOLA4420

Up in the nearby Alps it's a different story, here it is mostly brilliant sunshine. So as often as I can, that's where I go..... An afternoon snowboarding never fails to lift my mood.

Just the thought of a clear blue sky makes me smile, if only for a second before I look out the window.

HOLA4421

Just the thought of a clear blue sky makes me smile, if only for a second before I look out the window.

Same here, and I like real weather (Storms, thunder, heavy rain, snow) not the unending grey, boring, miserable, suffocating excuse for weather that seems common!

Today has been great though :D

HOLA4422

Not convinced its always got to be sunny. Just getting outside for an hour or two even overcast has got to help. The sun output even on an overcast day has got to blow the pants of any crappy lightbox, and the light spectrum will still be "right."

The BBC show "Bang" covered this recently. Apparently using your PC late in the evening can be damaging as the "blue light" can affect sleep. There is an application that will give your LCD screen a warmer output as the evening develops.

Which makes me wonder if a PC or laptop partially acts as a "lightbox."

Review of F.LUX

HOLA4423

I probably eat too much wheat which I'm already on to but it's like anything, when you start cutting out a certain food or whatever, meal planning gets harder.

I have access to ephedrine and caffeine (pro plus but with a bit more kick) but only take these when I absolutely need to (which is actually probably never but you know what I mean).

I am not doctor but those are, IMPO, no good for you.

If you are relying on stimulants like that then you have problems. Caffeine, ephedrine - oh dear. Not good from what I have heard. I would be worried about what that was doing to my brain chemistry.

HOLA4424

If you are relying on stimulants like that then you have problems. Caffeine, ephedrine - oh dear. Not good from what I have heard. I would be worried about what that was doing to my brain chemistry.

I'm not a doctor either, and without wanting to derail the thread from topic, the fabled EC stack or ECA Stackis safe providing you are fit and sensible about dosages.

As always, Do Your Own Research!

HOLA4425

This type of stimulant is always going to raise eyebrows but I think people just need to take context into consideration. I don't use them often for obvious reasons (sleep etc) and I may take half a dozen a year when absolutely necessary. Even this gets looked down on my mates who slam their liver on a weekly basis with copious amounts of alcohol. :rolleyes:

I might be joining them this winter at this rate.

Archived