House Price Crash Forum
Sheer Heart Attack

Why Do Some Think The Tories Are Nasty, Uncaring, Etc?

As the title...

Public sector cutbacks? There haven't really been any.

Tax breaks for the rich? There hasn't been.

Gap between rich and poor? No massive signs of a faster increase than years before.

Workers' rights? Some changes, but nowt massive.

It's more of the same.

With the social, educational, aspirational and economic disaster inflicted on us by New Labour during 13 years, how can sneering, cynical, ne'er-do-well lefties have a go at a new administration? What was so great about New Labour in comparison to the Tories?

PS I'm not a Tory, I'm a libertarian by nature.

As the title...

Gap between rich and poor? No massive signs of a faster increase than years before.

It's more of the same.

With the social, educational, aspirational and economic disaster inflicted on us by New Labour during 13 years, how can sneering, cynical, ne'er-do-well lefties have a go at a new administration? What was so great about New Labour in comparison to the Tories?

Because people fall back into tribalism instead of looking at the facts, "Nasty Tories" brings a tear to the eye of Labour type who can remember the 80's.

As your post suggests there is very little between New Labour and New Tory, there is a rizla paper between what the Tories have cut and Labour planned to.

Because many people remember the destruction of heavy industry and the feting of the yuppies; the preference for regressive taxation; and because we get regular anecdotal evidence of Tory contempt, or at best misunderstanding, for and of people not born into privilege.

Next question?

Because many people remember the destruction of heavy industry and the feting of the yuppies; the preference for regressive taxation; and because we get regular anecdotal evidence of Tory contempt, or at best misunderstanding, for and of people not born into privilege.

Next question?

I think the point was that the lot in red are just as bad, they just pick different things to ****** up.

Because people fall back into tribalism instead of looking at the facts, "Nasty Tories" brings a tear to the eye of Labour type who can remember the 80's.

And to the Tory type who remembers the 80s and wishes the New Tories had the balls to be 'nasty'.

It's funny: the New Tories are scared stiff of being seen as the 'nasty party', yet that was the Tories' most successful time in power in the last century.

Why Do Some Think The Tories Are Nasty, Uncaring,

They are what the new generation of politicians are, since 1997 the country has been run by sixth form schoolboys. There has been not one Statesman among the lot of them. Cameron will finally end up like Blair ousted from office and then on his way to becoming a multi-multi millionaire and Samcam will be the most well dressed woman in the country. :rolleyes:

As the title...

It's more of the same.

Their sin is more one of intent than commission. To my eyes at least the current tory party seems curiously wedded to the now discredited idea that simply giving rich people more money will be a panacea for all societies ills- this 'trickledown' model simply does not work- the wealth does flow up but does not then translate into inward investment or jobs- it's just as likely to flow overseas or into speculation of the worst kind.

I did seriously consider voting tory for the first time ever in the last election- I believed Cameron was a genuine thinker with some chance of shaking up the status quo. But in reality I saw that he is just another captive of the special interests who really rule in britan and that any change will arise not from the top but from the bottom.

The reason I think that the tories are seen as uncaring is their tendency to blame the victim when things go wrong.

The same man I saw passionately putting the case that people whose children were in the riots should be made homeless passively accepts the ongoing looting of the economy and taxpayer by the banks- it's a bully mentality that targets the weak and avoids confrontation with the strong- a deeply unattractive quality that many in the tory party seem to share.

So Cameron and the tories remind me most of the school bully- full of bravado and determination when the opponent is weak and powerless, but ingratiating and fawning in the presence of those they consider strong- not a pretty sight.

Not that 'new' labour were any better- Blair was just a more proficient salesman.

As the title...

There is a thread on this site quoting a figure that they may be as much as 50% higher than first announced.

They don't need any more tax breaks , apart from inviting more global rich into the country the tories will just carry on looking after this lot.

Figures for that ?

Bit by bit they will come.

As the title...

1. There is a thread on this site posted today quoting the public sector cutbacks might be 50% higher than first thought.

2. The rich don't need any more tax breaks . There have not been any major rises for them either like there have been for the poor and average.

3. Have you figures to prove that ? Only my own opnion but the gap is growing at a massive rate.

4. Well they don't need to do they queues of people for every job destroyes workers rights with out them having to lift a finger.

Plus .

U Turn Dave and IDS always digging out the unemployed when it is plain for everyone to see that there is a shortgage of jobs and more people than jobs , so x amount are always going to miss out . They speak on the subject as if there are millions of empty jobs.

U Turn Dave who does not have a clue about being hard up telling people to pay off their debt's.

9k a year tuition fees .

The HB cuts really are a kick in the bollo-ks for any people without kids who are under 35, take a look.

Maybe that is some of the reasons.

Don't forget the LibDems who. in the past, have often accused the Tories of being Nasty, Uncaring, Etc? but who have now joined forces with them and now claim that they have to help to carry out some Nasty, Uncaring, Etc? policies to show that they are a serious party (in preparation for the next general election).

Then Labour criticising but likely carrying out almost identical policies if they were still in power.

The UK political system being an utter farce.

Basically they're all just jobsworths carrying out instructions.

Why Do Some Think The Tories Are Nasty, Uncaring, Etc?

Because they are enacting exactly the same policies as the last lot.

Libertarian or libertine? Whatever business you've got going with that banana tells me the latter.

By coincidence:

Telegraph

Not since Peter Lilley brandished his little list of benefit offenders before the Tory faithful in Brighton has a party conference speech triggered such a furore.....

.....It could be argued that, in both cases, the speakers should have realised that they risked undermining perfectly valid arguments by playing to the gallery; but conference venues are not the House of Commons nor an academic institution, where a different kind of pitch would be made to a different kind of audience. The context does matter. Despite this, the Left would always point to Mr Lilley’s speech whenever they wished to denigrate the Tories as uncaring. It even contributed to a caricature that would later encourage Mrs May herself to describe the Conservatives as the “nasty party”. The biter bit, perhaps?

Yet who would now say Mr Lilley was mistaken to highlight the fundamental flaws in the social security system that have subsequently trapped millions on benefits and led to a burgeoning underclass? In those days, to talk about the feckless behaviour of absentee fathers, or the “something for nothing” society, or the anti-social nature of benefit scroungers, was to be branded a heartless bigot by the Left. Yet today, we hear such language from the leader of the Labour Party. Only when the problem becomes obvious do the self-styled custodians of right-thinking attitudes acknowledge that it even exists, by which time it is too late for anything to be done about it. Had the crisis in the welfare system been dealt with 20 years ago we might have avoided the entrenchment of a dependency culture now almost impossible to uproot.

Edited by Goat

Because the are, the Tories are nasty.

Labour are illiberal control freaks who want to abolish free speech and force everyone to carry an ID card.

And the Liberal Democrats are totally unprincipled two face risk adverse liars.

And every 4 or 5 years around 50% of the population vote for one of them based on which of the three parties they currently hate the least - the other 50% of the population have realised that spending five minutes putting a cross next to any of them is a complete waste of their time.

The corrupt seek power.

Because 70% of the news in this country comes through the BBC.

Even if you accept the BBC as biased toward the left (I'm unconvinced), the overwhelming bias in the press has always gone against labour, and continues to.

Only rabid left wingers, various pinkos and outright Marxists describe the Tories as nasty.

Whether they truly think they are nasty is another matter.

As the title...

It's more of the same.

The countries infrastructure was in tatters when the totally discredited tory administration finally relinquished power in 1997. You may be libertarian, but "social, educational, aspirational and economic disaster inflicted on us..." is hardly a balanced evaluation, just outright anti-labour.

The countries infrastructure was in tatters when the totally discredited tory administration finally relinquished power in 1997. You may be libertarian, but "social, educational, aspirational and economic disaster inflicted on us..." is hardly a balanced evaluation, just outright anti-labour.

I have no party affiliations - I hope you believe me. I am as likely to be pro-mainstream party as anti-.

It was a social disaster - crime may have retreated (as in all developed countries) but Labour policies closed 1,000's of pubs and clubs, encouraged "ratting" among the working classes, brought 3,000 civil liberty wrecking laws into existence and so on.

Educational - the dumbing down of GCSEs and A Levels and the introduction of higher education fees. Labour are meant not to be about the "I'm alright Jack" culture. I left uni in 96 with £3,000 of debt - before the recent changes, the rIse in debt for graduates was enormous even then. Labour pulled the ladder up on later generations.

Aspirational - the last administration saw further deepening and growth of the underclass. Even more so than any time since the City's Big Bang, the non-productive private sector sucked away talent from the productive because of tax breaks, structural economic deficiencies and more. Home ownership dreams died for so-called working class heroes on Labour's watch. Is that really worth defending?

Economic - need I expand on no more boom and bust or the raiding of the pensions from 1997 onwards.

Looking at the world as a 23 year old when Labour came to power and a 36 year old when they were chucked out, the world was a much more equal, libertarian and tolerant place when I was younger.

In tatters? I remember the country then as having low rates of unemployment in most areas, falling inflation and low house prices, and what I think was near to a balanced budget. Admittedly a lot of the Goldilocks outcome then had come as a result of being forced out of the ERM a few years earlier, good economic policy was thrust upon them, but things were good then. Alas the people didnt like dull John Major and voted him out for a man who led us into war on the back of a lie.

As for the Tories being heartless, well I guess a few of them are. Amongst their ranks will be a few sociopaths and psychopaths just like every other party. However, their core ideal, which I believe is that we should be responsible for looking after ourselves and not have to rely on others, nor have others rely to heavily on us, is a sensible one. The lefty labour one, which is that someone else will always provide, leads to a gradual removal of the incentives to work and produce, until hardly anyone does. Extrapolate that too its logical conclusion, and there is nothing that will be produced because it will all be taken from the producers. Then we all starve. The idea of forcibly taking stuff from producers and giving it to those that dont contribute is something I deem to be pretty heartless.

As the title...

It's more of the same.

I also classify myself as a libertarian, which means i hate all parties equally and have an especially poor view on career politicians who aren't imapcted by the policies they force on the electorate.

However:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15234228

"The current rate of public sector job losses is far greater than official projections and suggests total job cuts in the sector will be 50% higher than forecast, researchers say.

Since April, the public sector shed jobs at five times the rate predicted by the Office for Budget Responsibility, the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) said."

Off the top of my head:

1) VAT increase... much more effect on the poor than rich

2) Poorest hit hardest by the recession

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12790525

"Pensioners and the poorest households are amongst those that have been the worst hit by the recession, according to a study by the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) and the BBC.

The richest households - though better able to cope - were hit even harder.

Across the board, real incomes in the UK fell by 1.6% a year between 2008 and 2011, the study found.

By contrast, the median household income rose 1.6% per year during the previous 50 years."

So the rich take the biggest hit as a Sterling value figure but the Poorest take the biggest hit as a % of income.

We're all suffering but the poorest suffer the most.

3) Personal Savings impacted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14273336

"Some people are saving less because they are having to pay higher household bills, figures have suggested.

Personal deposits and savings in the High Street banks rose by £6.1bn in the first six months of 2011, the British Bankers' Association (BBA) said."

This is yet to come, the strikes have hardly started compared to what i anticipate will happen between 2012-2015.

The job losses in the public sector and low wage rises will push union members towards industrial action.

The New Labour government did a lousy job, the ConLib alliance is pushing new extremes that will break this country even further.

We need new political and economic models and paradigms, not the same old incompetents screwing the country further and blaming each other.

Edited by pyewackitt

I also classify myself as a libertarian, which means i hate all parties equally and have an especially poor view on career politicians who aren't imapcted by the policies they force on the electorate.

However:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15234228

"The current rate of public sector job losses is far greater than official projections and suggests total job cuts in the sector will be 50% higher than forecast, researchers say.

Since April, the public sector shed jobs at five times the rate predicted by the Office for Budget Responsibility, the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) said."

Off the top of my head:

1) VAT increase... much more effect on the poor than rich

2) Poorest hit hardest by the recession

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12790525

"Pensioners and the poorest households are amongst those that have been the worst hit by the recession, according to a study by the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) and the BBC.

The richest households - though better able to cope - were hit even harder.

Across the board, real incomes in the UK fell by 1.6% a year between 2008 and 2011, the study found.

By contrast, the median household income rose 1.6% per year during the previous 50 years."

So the rich take the biggest hit as a Sterling value figure but the Poorest take the biggest hit as a % of income.

We're all suffering but the poorest suffer the most.

3) Personal Savings impacted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14273336

"Some people are saving less because they are having to pay higher household bills, figures have suggested.

Personal deposits and savings in the High Street banks rose by £6.1bn in the first six months of 2011, the British Bankers' Association (BBA) said."

This is yet to come, the strikes have hardly started compared to what i anticipate will happen between 2012-2015.

The job losses in the public sector and low wage rises will push union members towards industrial action.

The New Labour government did a lousy job, the ConLib alliance is pushing new extremes that will break this country even further.

We need new political and economic models and paradigms, not the same old incompetents screwing the country further and blaming each other.

The Tories are seen as the nasty party because historically their role has been to clear up the mess left by Labour

When Labour are in power they always get the country into massive debt and p*ss the money up the wall so we have absolutely nothing to show for it.

The education system is a shambles, the health service is now well on its way to third world level outcomes

The transport system is falling apart, our energy supply is on the verge of crisis etc,etc, etc

So the Tories are seen as nasty because they are the ones who have to make the cuts and tell people that the country has been living way beyond its means.

And no doubt when the 'nasty' Tories finally get the country back on its feet again

some Labour politician will come along and promise everyone sh*t loads of free stuff and a 5 year p*ss up

and the British electorate will vote them back in.

It's so f*cking depressing if you think about it

The electorate are like 5 year old kids.

:blink: