House Price Crash Forum
juvenal

Phil Spencer - Secret Agent

Heads up for the new series which starts on C4 11am today.

Phil gets down and dirty helping hard-pressed sellers who can't flog their houses. Will it be de-cluttering, twigs and parking a fancy motor outside for those EA's photos?

Or will Phil be saying "You'll only shift this dump if you knock 25% off the price, you fecking numpty?"

Overpricing reassurances?... or harsh new market reality?

Don't miss it.....

Was Garringtons going bust just a "moving money around sort of thing"

However, the continuing fall in housing transactions forced Spencer to take the final decision to conclude Garrington Home Finders Ltd and cease trading in February 2009. At this point Garrington Country Ltd then purchased full rights to the intellectual property and some assets of the old business and has carried on trading throughout the UK.[2][5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Spencer

He reminds me on John Noakes. Will he have that lovely dog with him like on that other telly program? You know, the old, fat, waddling black Lab which smells a bit of wee.

...and has a moustache.

Was Garringtons going bust just a "moving money around sort of thing"

However, the continuing fall in housing transactions forced Spencer to take the final decision to conclude Garrington Home Finders Ltd and cease trading in February 2009. At this point Garrington Country Ltd then purchased full rights to the intellectual property and some assets of the old business and has carried on trading throughout the UK.[2][5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Spencer

I'd heard of the 'Phoenix Four' but this appears to be...

'Phoenix Phil'

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Heads up for the new series which starts on C4 11am today.

Phil gets down and dirty helping hard-pressed sellers who can't flog their houses. Will it be de-cluttering, twigs and parking a fancy motor outside for those EA's photos?

Or will Phil be saying "You'll only shift this dump if you knock 25% off the price, you fecking numpty?"

Overpricing reassurances?... or harsh new market reality?

Don't miss it.....

Meh.

Programmes like this are the reason there are all those people on Mumsnet going 'I've painted my whole house magnolia, I don't know what else I can do to sell it!'

I mean these people clearly do need help but their EA should have told them all this stuff anyway.

I don't believe the property market is stagnating because large numbers of people don't realise you have to tidy up before viewers come.

I've got to go out before the end, hoping someone else is watching and can tell me whether he sneaks in a 'By the way, reduce the price by 40k.'

He reminds me on John Noakes. Will he have that lovely dog with him like on that other telly program? You know, the old, fat, waddling black Lab which smells a bit of wee.

...and has a moustache.

You mean Valerie Singleton?

If the programme doesnt make you vomit, this thread on MSE about the first episode will do the job

i do like him, hes got a lovely voice for television as well, thanks for the heads up

Has it mentioned anywhere that it will be repeated later on in the day? Any chance you could look out for me across the screen at the end and post on here if it is? Many thanks.

Sky + already set and waiting :-)

he is better off going solo

Worth watching just to see the lovely Mr Spencer!

Did he have a licence to kill? Will be watching this tonight on 4od! Thanks for the tip off

yep! agree, but still just had to watch and was annoyed missed the last 10 minutes, had to get little one from pre-school!! Arrgghh, did the family house sell??

Soooo depressing, they have fawned over Phil and now decided that it shows you simply need a good agent. If only we had workled that out sooner. Housing market can be solved by having a good agent! FFS!

Edited by Caveat Mortgagor

Soooo depressing, they have fawned over Phil and now decided that it shows you simply need a good agent. If only we had workled that out sooner. Housing market can be solved by having a good agent! FFS!

You would expect agents to hate him for raising everyone's expectations and making them think the agent will help you completely make over your home and bring some exceptional suckers to buy it (having first persuaded them into some completely inappropriate properties so yours shows up well in comparison.)

Or do the agents think he is some kind of hero for making them look all important and powerful? Anyone know?

Wasn't Phil 'n' Krusty's winning homebuying strategy always to offer whatever the vendor was asking, sometimes substantially more, in order to 'secure' the property?

I seem to remember a situation where it was 'offers over' and PnK told the young couple to put in a whopping tens of thousands extra offer in? Needless to say they got the property but later when the bungling solicitors sent the letter confirming the results of the auction intended to go to the owner to the couple, by accident, it turned out that they were the only ones who actually bid over leading to them throwing a wobbler and withdrawing? Great advice yet again, from Britain's favourite property gurus.

Wasn't Phil 'n' Krusty's winning homebuying strategy always to offer whatever the vendor was asking, sometimes substantially more, in order to 'secure' the property?

I seem to remember a situation where it was 'offers over' and PnK told the young couple to put in a whopping tens of thousands extra offer in? Needless to say they got the property but later when the bungling solicitors sent the letter confirming the results of the auction intended to go to the owner to the couple, by accident, it turned out that they were the only ones who actually bid over leading to them throwing a wobbler and withdrawing? Great advice yet again, from Britain's favourite property gurus.

Phil's magic recipe to beat a slow housing market?

Declutter, paint job and some new carpet. Tidy garden.

Result?

Offer over asking!!

Thanks Phil!

Phil's magic recipe to beat a slow housing market?

Declutter, paint job and some new carpet. Tidy garden.

Result?

Offer over asking!!

Thanks Phil!

Let's be honest this shit was never going to get aired unless phil was magically bringing in the offers was it? So it's it was never going to HPC friendly. The people he couldn't help won't be aired.

What would be interesting though is if those who want to watch it could post the address and when the land reg data comes in we could see what the actual price achieved was assuming the sales go through.

Let's be honest this shit was never going to get aired unless phil was magically bringing in the offers was it? So it's it was never going to HPC friendly. The people he couldn't help won't be aired.

What would be interesting though is if those who want to watch it could post the address and when the land reg data comes in we could see what the actual price achieved was assuming the sales go through.

That's a mighty big assumption.

The banks valuation may not match the over eager buyers. That's killing many deals stone dead.

Anyone post the selling price? This program must have been made over six months ago. They usually are.

The 'investor' who viewed the house would offer only 95K max, and said he could let such houses for £675 at month any day of the week. Are my sums wrong making this a 15% return? Sounds like nice money!

I wonder how many houses the investor actually buys on this basis?

Have you got the address?, I did post on another thread.

Bored with HUTH and LLL.

Anyone with 192 accountto get the house details.

Name Address Other Occupants Electoral Roll Director Info

2 Lee M Fozard Age Guide: 40-44 Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS16 Emma V Fozard 2010-11 View

Phil Spencer: Secret Agent

Season 1 Episode 1 of 20

Phil travels to north Leeds, where Emma and Lee Fozard are in desperate need of his property expertise.

A couple with three young boys, Emma and Lee have outgrown their current home and dream of moving to pastures new. But this three-bed semi is in trouble. After eight months on the market and 18 viewings, there have been no offers on it. Emma and Lee are worn out. Unfortunately, so is the house.

While the family are out for the day, Secret Agent Spencer has a snoop around, discovering threadbare carpets, dog-eaten doors and a topsy-turvy garden that all the viewers have turned their noses up at.

After confronting Emma and Lee with his cheekily rewritten property particulars, Phil gives the family advice on how to get their home ready for his open viewing in one week's time. But not everyone is impressed with his plans.

Phil also works with buyers Jonathan and Anna, a young couple looking for a new home in order to start a family.

Channel 4 11:00am-12:00pm (1 hour ) Mon 10 Oct

Edited by timebandit

The 'investor' who viewed the house would offer only 95K max, and said he could let such houses for £675 at month any day of the week. Are my sums wrong making this a 15% return? Sounds like nice money!

I wonder how many houses the investor actually buys on this basis?

657 is £155.77a week

Even a 4 bed rate isn't that much.

And the investor said it was too "smart" for him.

https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/SearchResults.aspx?LocalAuthorityId=68&LHACategory=999&Month=10&Year=2011&SearchPageParameters=true

Weekly LHA rate for October 2011

Bradford & South Dales BRMA

Shared Accommodation Rate:£53.50 per weekOne Bedroom Rate:£80.77 per weekTwo Bedrooms Rate:£95.00 per weekThree Bedrooms Rate:£109.62 per week

Four Bedrooms Rate:£121.15 per week

Don't know which bit this covers (CBA looking at maps)

Downloads about the Bradford & South Dales Broad Rental Market Area (BRMA):

BRMA map (the area where this LHA rate applies)(1513.4 KB, (PDF))

Information about the BRMA (633.8 KB, (PDF))

List of Rents - view a graph of the rents used to set the LHA rate for Bradford & South Dales

Leeds BRMA

Shared Accommodation Rate:£61.50 per weekOne Bedroom Rate:£100.00 per weekTwo Bedrooms Rate:£120.00 per weekThree Bedrooms Rate:£137.31 per week

Four Bedrooms Rate:£183.46 per week

Downloads about the Leeds Broad Rental Market Area (BRMA):

Where did Phil's hair go? :blink:

I was just thinking that myself. Everyone knows that to be a proper EA you need spikey hair; just putting on an ill-fitting, shiny suit really isn't enough without the barnet to match.

Edited by Diver Dan

I think the underlying message is "It`s over". They won`t come out directly and say this though, not yet. Let`s face it, this bloke needs to take whatever he can get just to keep his silly mug on the telly. However he is not going to be in a programme that alienates dafties who paid too much for their house, because that doesn`t utilise the "persona" he has built up? Uncle Phil is now telling you that you need to really think about cutting the price, he knows this because he knows lots about property, while you, the sheeple don`t. The government and smart VI`s (the one`s long out of property) know that to avoid revolution, and to keep taking a cut of some profit, they need the economy to improve. A functioning housing market would help with this, so cue "Telly People" like Phil coming on to tell you that you made a slight whoopsie by paying too much, but, if you want to sell DROP THE PRICE

Edited by dances with sheeple

I think the underlying message is "It`s over". They won`t come out directly and say this though, not yet. Let`s face it, this bloke needs to take whatever he can get just to keep his silly mug on the telly. However he is not going to be in a programme that alienates dafties who paid too much for their house, because that doesn`t utilise the "persona" he has built up? Uncle Phil is now telling you that you need to really think about cutting the price, he knows this because he knows lots about property, while you, the sheeple don`t. The government and smart VI`s (the one`s long out of property) know that to avoid revolution, and to keep taking a cut of some profit, they need the economy to improve. A functioning housing market would help with this, so cue "Telly People" like Phil coming on to tell you that you made a slight whoopsie by paying too much, but, if you want to sell DROP THE PRICE

Phil never went anywhere near the question of dropping the price. His solution to selling that house was entirely cosmetic.

The day I hear him talk about 'dropping your selling price' I'll also be listening to Krustie eating her hat.

Nice to see Relocation, Relocation.. has been shelved

http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/relocation-relocation-relocated-to-shelf-amid-the-economic-crisis/

Edited by juvenal