House Price Crash Forum

Problems Getting A Council House?

Housing is the hands of the local authority and the rules and requirements are not universal. Many have a points system which can be manipulated by individual circumstances. If you are a person that usually finds life better by having principles or a strong work ethic then it seems you become anomalous to the points system. That is why the most outrageous of us seem to jump the list. The best way out of this I have found is to rule out from ones mind of council accommodation as I consider this option as anachronistic since Thatcher. It was bad enough before her, but her policies have killed of public housing, and her successors have done nothing to put this right.

In recent times I have focused on the private sector and just hoped for a serious crash.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should the grandparents do any better raising " the brat " the bundle to be kicked around, sorry, their grandchild, than they did their own kids? Non-sequeter.

Obviously I'm partly letting off steam; I am frustrated as my wife and I are going to really struggle if we have a kid.

But my sinister, right-wing side does ask the question "why should a girl who gets herself up the duff expect to get own gaff within a few months of her pregnancy?"

However bad the grandparents are, at least they have some experience of child-rearing, and aren't at school.

djchewmacca, it's hard, but love will find a way ;)

a change of lifestyle is required. it will be tricky, but sod it, it will be ok when the fruit of your loins is at school

And if Sarah's suggestions don't work, "break up" due to the stress of your housing situation, make sure the wife is living with the kids in her mother's living room (not the spare room) and get her to a doctor for antidepressants!!!

i cant see this working. all that will happen is they will all live cramped in one room while the young mum squats on the couch all afternoon, monged out on temazepam while dribbling over itvs loose women. (just like me).

Guest magnoliawalls

Why should the grandparents do any better raising " the brat " the bundle to be kicked around, sorry, their grandchild, than they did their own kids? Non-sequeter.

If a child's family are unable or unwilling to care for it, the child should be taken into care.

It seems absurd to me that a single teenager who was feckless enough to get herself into that situation is considered responsible enough to manage her own household and raise a child. If you are a 15 year old girl without any particular aspirations, becoming a mother is one way to gain status and a defined role in life. It is a great shame that people like that are given precedence over those like djchewmacca.

There are too many couples out there who put off having a family indefinitely because of finances while their taxes help create a growing underclass. And also too many who have children anyway and then struggle to pay the mortgage or rent.

------------------------------------------------

djchewmacca - best of luck in finding a home

If a child's family are unable or unwilling to care for it, the child should be taken into care.

It seems absurd to me that a single teenager who was feckless enough to get herself into that situation is considered responsible enough to manage her own household and raise a child. If you are a 15 year old girl without any particular aspirations, becoming a mother is one way to gain status and a defined role in life. It is a great shame that people like that are given precedence over those like djchewmacca.

There are too many couples out there who put off having a family indefinitely because of finances while their taxes help create a growing underclass. And also too many who have children anyway and then struggle to pay the mortgage or rent.

This is oh so moralising. The sort of moralising that I bought into to the point that it stopped me becoming a single mum. I really hate you moralisers but I hate myself more for listening to you. Of course I have no precedence at all because I am single and childless. God I hate this world. Lets just put it on the table shall we. Its my taxes too (and they are high because I don't have any sprogs to tax deduct, and I don't get a married couples allowance for doing sod all except institution shagging) and as far as I am concerned my taxes can pay for the 15 year old girl while yours pay for guns to iraq.

Edited by Elizabeth

The main problem is that once you have got a council property it is effectively yours for life - irrespective of how your circumstances change. Rents are also incredibly low - £80 per week for a two bed flat in central London compared to £250+ if you had to rent on the open market.

If you own it for long enough you can buy it at a massive discount and then flog it off at market prices after a couple of years. You also get put to the top of the queue for council shared ownership schemes and can get a £50k interest free loan to buy a property under the Homebuy scheme. Why people in council properties who have been getting massive subsidies off the state for years should then get further subsidies to buy a property at the taxpayer's expense is beyond me!

Anyone mug enough to work (and pay market rents), waits until they can afford to have kids and saves up for years to buy their own property stands no chance!

The main problem is that once you have got a council property it is effectively yours for life - irrespective of how your circumstances change. Rents are also incredibly low - £80 per week for a two bed flat in central London compared to £250+ if you had to rent on the open market.

If you own it for long enough you can buy it at a massive discount and then flog it off at market prices after a couple of years. You also get put to the top of the queue for council shared ownership schemes and can get a £50k interest free loan to buy a property under the Homebuy scheme. Why people in council properties who have been getting massive subsidies off the state for years should then get further subsidies to buy a property at the taxpayer's expense is beyond me!

Anyone mug enough to work (and pay market rents), waits until they can afford to have kids and saves up for years to buy their own property stands no chance!

I'm not sure this is true.

First point...there is no longer a 'massive' discount. Discounts are capped. Because most council properties are in such a bad state of repair this discount would barely cover the costs of getting the property up to a reasonable standard.

Secondly, you can't sell it after a couple of years. You have to have owned it for at least three years and that has now changed to five years.

Thirdly, The schemes availble for people in council houses to buy on the open market are (as far as I am aware) only there for people who rent - not those who have bought. The idea is to move people who can afford to buy a home (just) out of council rented property to free this up for people who can't afford to buy.

and finally - yes rents are low - at the moment - but then again most of the stock is cr@p. There is now a policy to move council and HA rents up towards market value over the next 10 years and rents are, therfore increasing and will continue to do so.

2005 - My problem isn't with the system across most of the UK but how it has operated in central London. Not all council properties are on grotty estates!

I have real difficulties with people on the dole being given three or four bed properties on leafy streets in areas like Kensington & Chelsea/Hammersmith/Westminster etc (it does happen - look at Abu Hamza!). Couldn't they be housed in Salford or Dagenham instead?

What kind of message does it send when they also get £25k Sarah Beeny style makeovers under the 'decent homes' agenda and get to live there on the cheap for ever.

There is now a policy to move council and HA rents up towards market value over the next 10 years and rents are, therfore increasing and will continue to do so.

whos policy is that ?

whos deciding current market value ?

a bunch of unqualified EAs ?

what a crap idea.

its like. so the rental and housing markets in crisis. theres much extortion from private landlords and buying groups - any ideas ? - yes. why dont we cash in on that and ride that bubble. most of our tenants are paid with benefits anyway. we'll make a mint. and with sipps crowding the market we should be able to ride the gravy train for years and become zillionaires.

if so, can i have my taxes back that support HAs and council property ?

Edited by right_freds_dead

Right to buy was and is a scandal. The tennant has had good cheap housing for years, so doesn't need a lottery-like windfall by buying their own home. The sell-off was idealogical right-wing nonsense, and its role in creating social exclusion, squalor, HMO-hellholes, unnaffordable cities, etc. hasn't been exposed nearly enough

In part private rents are so high because council housing is now virtually non-applicable to people that are not the poorest of the poor, but struggle to pay market rates (probably anyone on 18k or less on london and the south east). As people have said, honest single Joe on less than average wage gets zero help.

Nowhere on the poltical agenda is a huge increase in council housing - just plans to tie more people to huge bankloans under this or that scheme.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

Right to buy wouldn't be a problem is council housing as being built right now but it isn't.

In the same way that vast amounts of council stock are now in a state of disrepair I forsee problems in the future with all these private landlords not wanting to take on massive debt to renovate their properties.

Hi everyone you have no chance of a council flat, most people who own there own propertys have never give there council flats back they keep them and rent them out or they exchange them for places which are worse than theres and charge money for the exchange.Please dont think i am hood winkiing you i know alot of people that do this or who have done this, it helps them pay there mortgage. This is another problem when everything is so expensive people find ways around the situation which in this case is the price of housing.You get all these people with there opinions and there news and there graphs live in the real world this situation is bad and only going to get worse.I spoke to a young aussie girl she said she was renting a room in a four bed house, the lady whose in charge is getting the rent paid by the goverment and also charging the people who rent the rooms and this is a council house its not her's, thats the way this is all going.

I wish everyone the very best.

2005 - My problem isn't with the system across most of the UK but how it has operated in central London. Not all council properties are on grotty estates!

I have real difficulties with people on the dole being given three or four bed properties on leafy streets in areas like Kensington & Chelsea/Hammersmith/Westminster etc (it does happen - look at Abu Hamza!). Couldn't they be housed in Salford or Dagenham instead?

What kind of message does it send when they also get £25k Sarah Beeny style makeovers under the 'decent homes' agenda and get to live there on the cheap for ever.

I can understand your frustration and agree with your observations.

Unfortunately if we push all council housing into one poor area we get ghettos..this is what large council estates have become... and this impacts on us all.

The alternative is to go down the road of providing council/social housing of very good standard mixed in with private housing. This is based on the idea that just because you can;t affod to buy a home shouldn't mean you are socially excluded. AND we know kids do better when they are not raised on large socially excluded council estates.

BUT, of course this creates resentment by both private renters who see someone getting better than them for less and also by council tenants who feel the allocation of housing is a lottery and unfair.

Not sure what the answer is or how we ended up here but, as I said, I can understand your comments.

Cabman

By the sound of it your Aussie friend's landlady is commiting housing benefit and/or subletting fraud - someone ought to shop her to the Council!

I realise this is not an isolated incident but one less parasite defrauding the state would be a good start. Her four bed property - which she clearly does not need - could then be given to a family who does.

It may seem absurd to you but my stepson and his partner are doing very well in maintaining and paying for their own household. As for this not being able to afford a commercial rent; it's complete nonsense - family tax credits and housing benefit are available to help out. Thanks to Tony's family friendly policies, there's never been a more affordable time to be parents.

Guest magnoliawalls

It may seem absurd to you but my stepson and his partner are doing very well in maintaining and paying for their own household. As for this not being able to afford a commercial rent; it's complete nonsense - family tax credits and housing benefit are available to help out. Thanks to Tony's family friendly policies, there's never been a more affordable time to be parents.

Your stepson and his partner did not deliberately produce a baby to get accomodation - they have the support of their families and each other. I do not understand what point you are trying to make?

Contrary to what you seem to think, couples on low income with children do struggle to pay rents and mortgages under the so-called 'family friendly' policies. If both parents are earning 10 - 13k per annum, do they get housing benefit?

The child tax credits certainly help but close friends of mine with a child are finding it almost impossible to pay the mortgage on their small ex-council flat on a sink estate. They bought the flat nearly two years ago and are hoping that when their fixed rate period expires next month they will be able to remortgage and pay off other debts. I sincerely hope it is possible for them to do this.

Standard rents on a three bedroomed flat in Edinburgh would be roughly £800 - £900 per month. For a lot of families that will be almost the entire wage of the main breadwinner and they would still have to pay council tax, buy food and clothes and pay for utilities. If both parents work childcare can swallow up the other parents entire wage. It is impossible for many of us to afford to have children, and raise them in a safe environment unless there is access to social housing.

Edit - Unless of course we are willing to stop working, make ourselves homeless and rely on the state to provide everything.

Edited by magnoliawalls

Thanks to Tony's family friendly policies, there's never been a more affordable time to be parents.

ha ha ha

:lol::lol::lol:

Actually, you may be right. As long as you are either:

a) a benefits scrounger

B) happy for the mother to work all hours to meet the cost of the mortgage/rent

Are you a fully paid-up member of President Bliars fan club?

Beat me to it magnolia.

Guest magnoliawalls

ha ha ha

:lol::lol::lol:

Actually, you may be right. As long as you are either:

a) a benefits scrounger

B) happy for the mother to work all hours to meet the cost of the mortgage/rent

Are you a fully paid-up member of President Bliars fan club?

Beat me to it magnolia.

But you said the same thing in far fewer words :lol:

It really makes me angry when older people like bluelady refuse to acknowledge the social problems caused by the lack of access to housing.

I bet she feels entitled to expect our generation and our children's generation to pay her pension too.

Edited by magnoliawalls

When I paid for council housing and assorted welfare benefits they called me a tax payer;

I would call you someone contributing to a civilised society for the benefit of us all

when I asked why folk needed benefits, they called me a fascist...

If you need to ask why folk need benefits you need to know a little bit more about welfare and social economics

Absolute tosh. I am a parent of 2 young children. Our childcare costs are nearly 1k each month (and that is cheap, apparently). We both work and are not eligible for help towards our childcare "because we earn too much." As a result, our children can not attend a local nursery as we cannot afford the fees but working 'single' parents we know, are entitled to upto 70% off these costs via the FTC system. Result: Their child/children go to these local nurseries, which generally cater for higher earners (£45-£50 per day) and provide, arguably, superior service provision.

I know 'associates' who actually earn far less than us but due to the credits/benefits they receive, (eg housing benefit, FTC, council tax,) have a higher income than us. Granted, I suspect some of these individuals are not being totally candid about their personal circumstances. They are probably claiming as single parents when they actually have an partner who is in employment.

However, the one thing that keeps us motivated, is our desire to be self sufficient.

Edited by Buffer Bear

One of my temp jobs a couple of years ago was dealing with the filing backlog in the local council's housing dept. Bit of an eye-opener; I got to read various stuff before, of course, filing it in the proper places...

If you want to get a council house you have to work the system and max out on the points scheme. This means claiming overcrowding where you are now, depression, back problems, anxiety, etc. Absolutely ANYTHING disabling in any way. You will get points and be rewarded for this. DO NOT imply that you can cope. You will be penalised for this. Helps also if your kids have medical problems (you get more points for this). I'm sure I remember somebody claiming they suffered from agoraphobia (fear of public open spaces) as a reason why they just had to have their own place.

In short - you must turn yourself into a one-person disaster area, unable to cope and desperately in need of help. Only thus will you get housed. Yeah, welcome to UK PLC 2005. A sh*thole.