House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
djchewmacca

Problems Getting A Council House?

Myself and my partner are desperately seeking to get onto the property ladder, however are unable to with the ridiculous house prices.

We thought our only hope would be to get a house from the council. We thought since we have a child that we would be considered a high enough priority to get one. How wrong we were. They have demolished a vast majority of houses in the area and are giving priority to those who are having their houses knocked down.

Most of the house have now been demolished, however we still can't get one. We will be considered a higher priority when our daughter is one in January, but they still cannot guarantee when we will be considered for one.

At present myself and my partner live between our parent's houses, the baby staying mainly over at my partners parent's.

My main gripe with the council is that they give anyone who is 17 or under who has recently has a child a higher priority than us who have been waiting much longer. I think this is giving a bad example to young girls who maybe in school. They are pretty much telling them if you have a child young you will be given a house and have it paid for by the state. I think this is an unfair practice. In my opinion they should have to live with their parents or made to work so that they can be entitled to a house.

I mean we have to work even though we have a child. Why should they be any different?

Edited by djchewmacca

This is my 4th year coming up to 5 of being on the housing list, I don't hold much hope though. If I were a teenager who got knocked up and was living off the state I'd already have a flat by now.

The teenage parent situation is an urban myth. My stepson became a father two weeks before his 18th birthday, his girlfriend was a year younger. They and the baby were living in one room in her parents' house and couldn't get a council property, still couldn't three years' later. They saved up the deposit to rent a small two bed starter home because there was no prospect of their ever coming to the top of the waiting list.

The teenage parent situation is an urban myth. My stepson became a father two weeks before his 18th birthday, his girlfriend was a year younger. They and the baby were living in one room in her parents' house and couldn't get a council property, still couldn't three years' later. They saved up the deposit to rent a small two bed starter home because there was no prospect of their ever coming to the top of the waiting list.

Agree...it's an urban myth. Housing is given on need...if a young single girl is homeless (in law) then of course she will get priority above someone who is not homeless...so would you.

If you turned up at the council offices today with your suitcase packed and said you will be on the streets tonight you would move up the list. But in order to do this you would probably be put up in a homeless hostel or BB for months while you wait (just like the young single girl probably was).

The papers forget to mention that bit.

If that young single girl was at her parents she would probably be lower down the waiting list than you because you would get points because your family is split up.

Housing allocation is based on housing need it doesn't favour specific social groups per se

And if you want to look further into what you read in the papers you will also find that those single girls who are homeless under the law get no choice in where they live and will be offered the 'hard to let' cr@p on the roughest council estaes that nobody else wants...and she will have no option but to take it.

Hang on in there...I would suggest making an appointment with your local CAB or Shelter office to check that you have been awarded all the housing points you are entitled to.

Also make sure you have applied to every Housing Association...you may find their points allocation differs and you could be further up their lists.

Its absolutely not a myth. The usual way to play it to to claim homelessness, live in a hostel for a couple of months, before being given a council flat/house.

The "mistake" your stepson made was being honest. If he (or she rather) had played the system, they would have had housing.

Tell em you’re an immigrant and not only will you jump the queue but they will also provide a social worker and a unemployment claims adviser to help you on your merry way.

I think they call it money for votes :lol:

Edited by Justice

Each council house that becomes vacant could be rented out 30 times over. The 29 who don't get a chance each have a bad opinion of the council's selection policy. One expat recently returned after spending 25 years in South Africa and was irate when he was refused a council property. He said, 'he paid into the system when he lived and worked here (yes, 25 years ago) and consequently, he should be entitled to a council property now. This may be an extreme example but out of the 29 there will probably be many like you. You will have nothing to lose by speaking to your local councillor and see if he or she can help in any way. Have you tried Housing Associations? If so what did they say? Council housing is gradually being run down so it may not be the solution to your problem. Since only those with the most desperate social circumstances are getting properties we are finding council estates are being populated with anti-social types who will not allow you to have a decent environment to bring up your child. Even, if you did get a council house maybe you would eventually buy it taking one more council property out of the pool and leaving another family in the future to complain about the lack of council housing.

Yes and no to it being an urban myth. I personally know atleast 5 women who were single teenage mums and were given a council house. By single i mean there boyfriend was / is scum, druggy, lazy, alcoholic scum. Of course the bf lives with each on of them and has his 'mates' around too, so it is defniantly not an urban myth in that regard.

On the other hand,following what 2005 has said, the houses have been given out on the basis of need.

You see dj - and this may seem really unfair and to an extent it is, even though you and your partner are living between your parents houses and even with all the hassle and emotional drain that must put on you, i bet you are decent people and decent parents who put your child first. You will MAKE it work even with all the obsticles in your way, because thats what decent parents do. Im sure you will trip and fall then rely on your partner to pick you up and dust you off just like you will for her, you may find that sometimes you just want to give up but you NEVER will.

If i was a council member making the decission on who to give a house to my priority would be the childs welfare because that child cannot defend itself in this dump of a world.

If on one hand i had two loving parents with decent values, a sense of morality and the strength to be good parents. The on the other hand i had a girl who has had a child (probably on purpose) with a deadbeat dad. My choice would be simple, i would give the house to the child that needed it most which would be the girl.

I would know that i am doing you wrong but i also know that you will cope by whatever means you have to and your child will be brought up in a loving environment.

If its any consolation try consider the house as being given to the child (who cannot chose its parents), and keep in mind that its because you are considerd more able to cope with lifes obsticles. I know you would/will still feel a little screwed because after all you pay tax, youve waited god knows how long, you deserve the council house. Just see it as the house goes to the child who needs its most.

Eloquent Chuz. I have actually seen this argument articulated so well. Thanks.

EDIT:

I haven't actually seen this argument articulated so well.

Edited by Elizabeth

Sort of begs the question of, how many three bed council houses are occupied by parents whose children have flown the nest, quite a few i suspect. Why can't these people be made to downsize, to say a two bed, thus freeing up the bigger houses for families.

Why can't these people be made to downsize, to say a two bed, thus freeing up the bigger houses for families.

It would probably infringe their human rights :blink:

I agree with much of what you say Chuz, but the reality is that, as you mention, many mums do have a partner, but they are not "official", so they get the flat or don't have to pay housing benefit. It's fraud.

The baby girl could always stay with the grandparents, who would probably do a better job of raising the brat.

Actually, here's a question for you, if someone gets pregnant and doesn't have accommodation sorted already, isn't that neglect? Why should the state and others up the waiting list suffer for their recklessness?

Having said all that, there's so many people who decent housing in this country now. Waiting for the council to sort you out is a waste of time, the problem is much more widespread than that...

Why does anyone have a right to get a council house? What's wrong with renting or buying?

Can't afford it?

Welcome to UKPLC 2005.

That's exactly why we can't rent or buy. Renting is just as expensive as getting a mortgage. How on earth is a couple with a small child supposed to afford £550 per month on a basic salary?

Don't forget we would have bills to pay as well as putting our child into nursery whilst we WORK. Unlike these others who don't want to work who can get the DSS to pay the rent for them.

last time this happened in 89 remember the hotels they put them up in at £1000 per week.?

i remember the press grabbing hold of one family who couldnt be housed by council, so they ran up this giant housing bill at some seedy bedsit land hotel. it was an outrage.

i hear from nw agencies that all is full and even pregnant teenagers are being denied homes.

they have to go back home. and rightly so. there is simply no room left at all in some housing associations in preston. dire stuff.

they took our taxes - now wheres the homes ?

What makes you think you are entitled to a handout - why dont you get jobs or move for Christs sake toughen up.

Who says we want a handout? We are prepared to pay the rent on a council house. We both work!

We would quite happily pay council rent until the house prices come back to a sane level and then we would probably buy. The only type of house the council will probably give us would be a two bed anyway. We hope to have more children in the future so buying our own place would be priority.

If you're wondering why we a child before getting a place first is for the simple fact that we thought we would have been okay to buy. A bit naive if you like, but we know more now.

Besides I wouldn't change having my daughter for the world. She's the best thing that's ever happened to me. All we need now is our own place to call our home. That would be the icing on the cake.

Edited by djchewmacca

If you're wondering why we a child before getting a place first is for the simple fact that we thought we would have been okay to buy. A bit naive if you like, but we know more now.

I'm sorry, no sympathy for you from me. A lot of folks save and save to get a place before they start a family.

And yes, now you know.

Welcome to UKPLC 2005

The baby girl could always stay with the grandparents, who would probably do a better job of raising the brat.

Why should the grandparents do any better raising " the brat " the bundle to be kicked around, sorry, their grandchild, than they did their own kids? Non-sequeter.

Edited by Elizabeth

I'm sorry, no sympathy for you from me. A lot of folks save and save to get a place before they start a family.

And yes, now you know.

Welcome to UKPLC 2005

I don't expect any sympathy from you. All I want is the house prices to back down to a reasonable level. We would love to be able to buy our own place. It's just so unfair at the moment. I'm assuming that you have your own place? Try looking at it from our perspective.

My partner has a profession, I'm also in full time work. We still can't afford a place.

A council house seems like our only option.

Edited by djchewmacca

And yes, now you know.

Welcome to UKPLC 2005

And for a lot of folks in the current climate they just would never have children if they lived for this rationale. Europes birth rate has dropped to lower than needed to replace the population, so I guess its already happening. But I totally support you, no sympathy at all for breeders - their bad for the environment... and what are kids good for?

You need to speak to Shelter and get advice about exactly what to say to the council in order to get a home.

You are IMO inadequately housed and need to get this sorted.

You'll need to be bloody minded and persistent but shelter will tell you what to say - they'll know which bits particularly apply.

Once you've done this - ring the council. Point out any empty housing to them and drive them mad. Get your friends to spy out houses that are empty/becoming empty/not lived in.

Get local councillors on your side, get the doc to write you a letter saying its stressing you out not having a dedicated place to live.

Seriously I hope to manage to get something before Christmas - don't go into private rented you'll then be adequately housed.

And if Sarah's suggestions don't work, "break up" due to the stress of your housing situation, make sure the wife is living with the kids in her mother's living room (not the spare room) and get her to a doctor for antidepressants!!!