House Price Crash Forum
Foobar

Corporate/foreign Investment

Does anyone know of a source of statistics as to how much corporate and foreign investment there is in the UK residential market? I have a number of questions related to this:

1. To what extent are UK properties purely "stock" investments rather than homes? --I've read of one property syndicate owning 12% of newbuild properties.
  2. By how much do they/have they pushed up demand? A friend of mine went to enquire about a new block of flats a year or so ago only to be told that most had been reserved in a property fair in Singapore and that he could go on the waiting list -prices started at 350K.
  3. If the commercial/speculative investment is large ( which I suspect it is ) how can the ordinary person compete with billion pound investment funds? Should the government be protecting the ordinary person?
  4. There is a well know practice in the stock market where large investment companies pump up the price through buying large quantities and then selling slightly smaller amounts in a repeat fashion, is there any evidence of this? Is it likely that these commercial interests will use the property SIPP as an opportunity to orchestrate an exit from the market via products they can put together with the properties they already own?
  5. On the bearish side: at what point will these commercial interests bail out? I've already seen signs of companies looking to exit British Land planning £1bn disposal
  6. On the bullish side: is it possible that Britain could end up as a land of tenants to commercial property owners? It looks like the FT and others have been talking about this recently:
    RESIDENTIAL OCCUPIERS: WILL THE UK EVER BECOME A NATION OF TENANTS?

Maybe I've asked too many questions? It's my first post so forgive me.