House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

The World Seems A Better Place When You're Wearing Beer Goggles.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2046884/And-nurses-teachers-mothers-drinking-oblivion-night-Britain.html

Occupational therapist Sally Baldwin, 24, added: 'If I bumped into any of my patients or their relatives, I'd hide. It doesn't give off the right image... But as long as it doesn't interfere with my work, I'll carry on.' By splitting their characters into two personas (professional and social), these young women appear confident that their professional reputations remain unblemished. In their own minds, at least.

'I just like knowing I haven't lost my mojo,' admits a 27-year-old full-time mother, dressed in a skimpy football kit and slumped in a shop doorway on St Mary Street. 'The world seems a better place when you're wearing beer goggles.'

The real reasons for their binge-drinking are buried within these anecdotes. Peer pressure looms large, as does a lack of confidence, boredom, burdensome responsibility and misery.

'I drink because life is a pile of s***,' says hairdresser Lucy Walker. She is particularly miserable because her mother is on holiday, leaving her responsible for two younger sisters.

'This place is really rough. You've got to be drunk to feel happy here,' she continues, sitting in the gutter. 'I've drunk so much but I'm still not p*****.' She clearly wants to be.

More pitiful still is Jessica Hooper, an 18-year-old health and social care student from Ebbw Vale, who tells me that being drunk feels 'really nice'. 'It doesn't hit you until you go outside and realise how drunk you are, then it just feels lush. I feel good about myself... My excuse is it's all rubbish so I just get hammered.' But what is rubbish, exactly?

'Everything. It's all so boring. I drink to laugh and I drink to speak to people. Usually, I'm not confident enough to talk to strangers.'

Just imagine what's going to happen when they realise it really is all crap and there's no money.

Go and have a look on plentyoffish dating site for women in Wales in their late 30s and late 40s - read the profiles. Even at that age large numbers of Welsh women still are doing what these 20-somethings are.

Clearly, they need some boundaries to kick against. Getting your own way all your life seems to cause this sort of behaviour.

I do wonder if there is a gender difference here. With men, you tend to get your face shoved in if you behave like a class A t*at. You learn pretty quickly and early on too, from primary school onwards. You learn to only pick your fights when you can win them. Perhaps women just haven't been slapped hard enough in their lives so they behave the way they do.

This doesn't apply so much to the chav scum society who always do what they want, but the people quoted in the above article don't sound like chav scum.

Go and have a look on plentyoffish dating site for women in Wales in their late 30s and late 40s - read the profiles. Even at that age large numbers of Welsh women still are doing what these 20-somethings are.

There's lots of people I know who think drinking themselves silly every night is the right thing to do.