House Price Crash Forum

Occupy London ----merged threads

SleepyHead

HOLA441

"Political power comes from the barrel of a gun" might be a Republican creed but Mao said it first. It is as true today as when he said it.

Everyone is thinking eighty years behind the times. Do you really think the next depression is going to feature Jarrow hunger marches and the poor polishing the shoes of the rich outside the Ritz? It's not that kind of a world any more. You should know, you saw a demonstration of the way things are now on the streets of Tottenham/Brum/Manchester a few weeks ago.

Those people in Wall Street/London other cities around the World are but a ripple on the beach, it's the tsunami building up behind them you need to worry about.

Its coming....

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

So if I bought a little land and seceded you and people like you would think it was perfectly fair to use violence to prevent me from saying "no thanks"?

Please read my post more carefully if you make the effort of replying to it. I didn't say anywhere that I think this is fair, I simply said that secessions are normally violently opposed by the affected states. That's the reality, living in a dreamworld won't get you anywhere.

HOLA443

lucky we have a monarchy in case parliament is dissolved. they can form an interim anchor until a new more balanced system is created.

The monarchy is part of the problem, the royal family is part of the 'elite' that rules the world and has been for many centuries.

Don't be deceived by their hands-off attitude, behind the scenes they are very much in control.

HOLA444

"Political power comes from the barrel of a gun" might be a Republican creed but Mao said it first. It is as true today as when he said it.

Everyone is thinking eighty years behind the times. Do you really think the next depression is going to feature Jarrow hunger marches and the poor polishing the shoes of the rich outside the Ritz? It's not that kind of a world any more. You should know, you saw a demonstration of the way things are now on the streets of Tottenham/Brum/Manchester a few weeks ago.

Those people in Wall Street/London other cities around the World are but a ripple on the beach, it's the tsunami building up behind them you need to worry about.

Its coming....

Not until there's been some interest rate rises though.

HOLA445
HOLA446

One of my outside bets in regard to this crisis, and the general disenchantment with democracy, is a gradual re-emergence of monarchs/royalty as power-players.

It's very easy to imagine this happening in Japan, for instance, especially as the American influence starts to decline.

Yes. That's really just localism in action, a gravitation to social symbols as the tide of globalisation goes out.

However, I still think the local tesco is a more likely symbol around which 21st century peasants would congregate.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Yes. That's really just localism in action, a gravitation to social symbols as the tide of globalisation goes out.

However, I still think the local tesco is a more likely symbol around which 21st century peasants would congregate.

Well, I suppose we'll see all sorts of strange things happen. I personally think Tesco is a ponzi scheme/disaster waiting to happen, but if it can hang on to its land bank, then I guess it could become a de facto lord of the manor.

HOLA449

Its coming....

The jung ens from Jarrow are already marching, and like those in the 30s they have a bus, new boots, iodine and the support of the unions!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Well, I suppose we'll see all sorts of strange things happen. I personally think Tesco is a ponzi scheme/disaster waiting to happen, but if it can hang on to its land bank, then I guess it could become a de facto lord of the manor.

Interesting. Care to expand?

HOLA4414

If any of you want to see what's going on via a livestream, here's a page listing any city you want to see.

http://www.occupystreams.org/

I just clicked on that link, and the number of streams..... f*** me they are getting organized. If I were one of the plutocrats i'd be getting worried.

It seems that there is/were 350,000 people in barcelona protesting, and hundreds of thousands in other spanish cities. If only the british people would wake up..... but then i guess, the way things are going its only a matter of time.

Here's a link for the madrid stream, massive crowds.

http://www.virtualtv.ya.st/

HOLA4415

I just clicked on that link, and the number of streams..... f*** me they are getting organized. If I were one of the plutocrats i'd be getting worried.

It seems that there is/were 350,000 people in barcelona protesting, and hundreds of thousands in other spanish cities. If only the british people would wake up..... but then i guess, the way things are going its only a matter of time.

That was exactly my reaction to it. This movement is seriously big. Huge potential.

The map is a genius idea too. http://www.meetup.com/occupytogether/ Really impressive, especially when you zoom in on the US! :):)

HOLA4416

It seems that there is/were 350,000 people in barcelona protesting, and hundreds of thousands in other spanish cities. If only the british people would wake up :rolleyes: ..... but then i guess, the way things are going its only a matter of time.

There are people opining that this has already been subverted. I dunno... it could be a real awakening. They just need to understand what the problem is.

HOLA4417

Interesting. Care to expand?

Briefly:

Tesco is ponzi scheme in that it's debt-driven expansion requires an ever-expanding economy to provide the turnover to convince its lenders to continuously roll over its debts.

Western economies are already in the early stages of an epic, decades-long (perhaps centuries-long) contraction.

This contraction is due a financial crisis in which resource-limits to expansion (esp. the gradual depletion of cheap oil) were papered-over for three decades with various "innovations" in the financial system.

The contraction is going to take us back to a less technologically complex society which is more biased towards agriculture.

Tesco have an extensive land bank that will become a great asset in a future agrarian society, if they can survive as an organisation during the troubles inbetween then and now (doubtful, imho).

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

It seems that there is/were 350,000 people in barcelona protesting, and hundreds of thousands in other spanish cities.

If only the british people would wake up.....

When's X-Factor, SCD and Big Brother over?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

The contraction is going to take us back to a less technologically complex society which is more biased towards agriculture.

Couldn't agree more. To be honest, I've thought this for a while (likely de-industrialisation in the far future).. I don't know why I'm still working in tech. Probably because I've got money coming in! Scary to think about.. will YOU (aimed at all HPC readers) have an income if we switch to mainly agriculture and move away from tech? I know there are a lot of IT types..

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Please read my post more carefully if you make the effort of replying to it. I didn't say anywhere that I think this is fair, I simply said that secessions are normally violently opposed by the affected states. That's the reality, living in a dreamworld won't get you anywhere.

Oh, I read it fine.

Violently opposing secessions can only happen if the populous is prepared to accept that people aren't allowed freedom. Are you or people like you prepared to?

HOLA4425

Briefly:

Tesco is ponzi scheme in that it's debt-driven expansion requires an ever-expanding economy to provide the turnover to convince its lenders to continuously roll over its debts.

Disagree. At the point when the expansion stops the debt holders get converted to equity and become the owners.

Tesco will still be there. The brand might change but the stores will remain.

Tesco is a bank, like Siemens.