House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Wail - Britain To Shiver In -20C In Weeks

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2046766/UK-winter-weather-warning--20C-weeks-councils-stockpile-extra-grit.html

Britain is just weeks away from being in the grip of temperatures as low as -20C, forecasters have predicted.

Parts of Britain already saw snow this week, with two inches falling in the Cairngorms in Scotland.

The rest of Britain is being warned to brace itself for wintry conditions and falling snow from the beginning of November.

James Madden, long-range forecaster for Exacta Weather, said: 'I expect the most frequent and heavy snowfalls to occur across many parts of the UK during November, December and January at present.

It doesn't actually say we are all going to die, but I just love these types of headlines and the majority of the time they are completely wrong.

Although James that comment is genius!

However I'm seriously disappointed that the Wail hasn't told us how much James house is worth.

However I'm seriously disappointed that the Wail hasn't told us how much James house is worth.

There was a story on the Wail's site earlier today about 'Theresa May's pussy' - i.e. featuring photos of the actual feline she referred to in her speech. About the second paragraph referred to her owners as '...the couple, who live in a rented £250,000 flat in north London'...'.

Not sure - it will either be right , wrong or somewhere in between - makes more sense to go back and see win predicted things that did actually happen - lets take the mega hot spell in south central US this year - over 40 days in a row above 40c in parts of texas - lets have a google and see if this was predictes

during November, December and January

Modern technology eh? Such precision.

When I was a lad, snow in winter was totally unpredictable.

We'd stand around a winter wonderland in our Bermuda shorts going "who knew?"

AKA more excuses for weak retail sales on the horizon.

nothing to do with Cameroon asking people to pay off their credit card bills no siree.

It's affected me, I was looking at winter tyres last night having read that (not trying to derial the thread, there is a huge thread elsewhere discussing these).

Being extreme south it can go ten years without snowing, so I would be amazed if we got it three time in three years.

"Ready for winter: Nicola Toulson who works at Halfords with the delivery of the bright blue sleds."

Thank goodness for Halfords--we'd never be ready without them.

We used old orange boxes as kids. ;)

It's affected me, I was looking at winter tyres last night having read that (not trying to derial the thread, there is a huge thread elsewhere discussing these).

Being extreme south it can go ten years without snowing, so I would be amazed if we got it three time in three years.

Yes, my instinct is that we're due a mild wet winter. Been very mild so far this Autumn, even if it's been snowing on the odd Scottish mountain top.

I hope it comes...

Got a set of snow tyres sat in the basement ready to go on, want to see if there're any good! :)

I got my snow boots (those fabric tyre covers) for the car last Dec. They arrived just as the cold spell ended in mid Dec and there wasn't any snow bad enough to use them for the rest of the winter!

Yes, my instinct is that we're due a mild wet winter. Been very mild so far this Autumn, even if it's been snowing on the odd Scottish mountain top.

Snap, though these planted stories help with a bit of marketing sales for Halfords and 4x4 sellers (wasn't just in the Mail). Where I live it has snowed and settled four times in thirty years. It just happens that three of those were 2005, 2009 and 2010! I'm going with the law of averages on this one, I need new tyres soon as my driver's front is dipping under 2mm and the passenger isn't much better, but they will be normal tyres.

Insofar as weather cycles are correlated to phenomena such as sunspots or Nino/Nina events, you might expect a cluster of similar winters. Or summers, or [insert season here].

Or if climate change were to reach a certain tipping point, we in NorthWest Europe could be returning to a regular mini-ice-age as the world at large warms.

Looks like we could be heading for colder temps in 7-9 days. Although at this range even this site is not mega accurate. Will know better in 2-3 days. Trying to find out details on the various pages on that site - however my German is not good enough to really know the score. Think it looks cold as in a bit below zero at night for some people and some frost. Don't think we are looking at snow/-20 quite yet.

Wetter

We used old orange boxes as kids. ;)

We were too poor for orange boxes and used [good quality] black bin bags - very effective if a little uncomfortable!:unsure:

Looks like we could be heading for colder temps in 7-9 days. Although at this range even this site is not mega accurate. Will know better in 2-3 days. Trying to find out details on the various pages on that site - however my German is not good enough to really know the score. Think it looks cold as in a bit below zero at night for some people and some frost. Don't think we are looking at snow/-20 quite yet.

Wetter

These data seem to come from the USA.

From the met office:

UK Outlook for Monday 24 Oct 2011 to Monday 7 Nov 2011:

Temperatures are likely to be close to or a little below normal for most parts of the UK for the end of October. However, they are likely to return back to the seasonal average as we progress into November, perhaps slightly above at times in the south and east.

These data seem to come from the USA.

No idea where the data is from - def a German website though !!

From the met office:

So one expert says normal or just above normal - and another says we are going to be in igloos.

As I said....:rolleyes:

Insofar as weather cycles are correlated to phenomena such as sunspots or Nino/Nina events, you might expect a cluster of similar winters. Or summers, or [insert season here].

Or if climate change were to reach a certain tipping point, we in NorthWest Europe could be returning to a regular mini-ice-age as the world at large warms.

It may be that the loss of arctic sea ice changes our weather in northern Europe, in the manner of the last couple of years. Of course, these medium resolution predictions are highly uncertain.