House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HappyNudist

What's The Most Stupid Thing You've Done?

When not drunk or otherwise befuddled.

Mine:- I was taking tiles off using a hammer and chisel, floor to ceiling, large room, it got a bit monotonous...

A wasp started buzzing around me, a slow and drowsy Autumn wasp. it started to piss me off. So when it landed I swatted it. I swatted it with my hammer. It had landed on the window.

It made sense at the time.

I set my garage on fire the last time I sold to rent. Long story, halogen heater tripped by pushing boxes from the house into garage and onto heater switch... proper fire, saw it licking up against the now blackened glass panel on the side door.... the stupid part was I tried and succeeded in putting it out, opened the up/over and the top two thirds of the space was a surreal thick black smoke, really clear bottom third and as the door handle was red hot I crawled under the smog and stamped the fire out - when I told a fireman friend of mine this he looked at me as though he'd just seen a ghost - apparently I was dead lucky.

Lost all my CDs\DVDs, kayaks and other stuff :(

Got married.:(

The least stupid thing I did was to get divorced.:D

I know that's up there in the top 10 for me... But it can't be the most stupid...

Will have to think about this.

Wanted to see how bright a camera flash was so held it relatively close to my face and set it off. Had an "imprint" of the filament or whatever floating around in my vision for an hour afterwards, which was a scary time because I thought I might have that for the rest of my life.

Not recommended.

Oh yeah, and joining HPC. Time wasted on posts, massive.

Cycled into a skip once - not my best idea

i managed to cycle into the back of a parked van once, it was great, smashed through the back window, too my credit it was parked in a cycle lane but im still not sure how i missed seeing it as it was on a straight road

Trying to figure out why a can of spray paint was not spraying, turned the nozzle towards my face to check the hole and pressed down. It worked then! It was red paint so looked a bit horrific! Surprised by the lightning quick reaction of closing my eyes though. My friends had a good laugh at me :)

THE most stupid was staying at a job too long...

2nd for staying in a job with a horrible boss, poor conditions and poor pay for 4 years. Best thing I ever did was leave, have a great year off and come back to land a great job, with a great boss and far better pay.

Also up there...

Believing anything that came out of the mouth of a woman.

Not filling my boots back in 2003 when the bank offered me nearly twice the mortgage I eventually took out.

Come back to me in a few more years and maybe I'll have a new number one. Maybe it will be the house purchase I just exchanged on.

i managed to cycle into the back of a parked van once, it was great, smashed through the back window, too my credit it was parked in a cycle lane but im still not sure how i missed seeing it as it was on a straight road

Knew someone who did that ... you weren't by any chance at Cambridge about 30 years ago?

My most stupid thing .... no, can't talk about it here :wub: And someone got in ahead of me with joining HPC.

Aha, right, yes, of course: it was coming back to Blighty and passing up the opportunity of work at JRC. Based on hopelessly unrealistic expectations of my own business.

Once got tricked into helping move half a kilo of marijuana from a "safe place" to a dealers house.

Wasn't in the UK. Never sh*t myself so much in my life.

Staying as a permanent employee, keep meeting contractors who are on silly day rates and I still stick it out in permiland.

I'm pretty sure that in olden days, their average life expectancy was shorter than the time I've spent here.

:lol::lol: A truism if ever there was one.

Made a some errors of judgement along the way. Business decisions which have cost me.

However, one of the funniest things was a family funeral (large Catholic family lots of cousins), getting lost from the cortege on the way from church to graveyard, and thinking we were late, joining the wrong burial, eventually it would twig. Throwing dust into the grave was probably going a bit too far.

Telling the Polish kid next door to stand in a noose that I'd made out of rope. I pulled it tight around his ankles and he smashed into the ground with a sickening thud, hurting himself pretty badly.

The things you'll do when you're 20.

As a kid I was playing with a table tennis ball, laying on the floor in my parents dining room, flicking the ball against a fan convector heater ( flick football, hit the fire it was a goal) anyway, it hit the fire and would blow back, carried on and then it hit the front of the fire and didn't blow back.

I was hypnotised as the ball began to expand, then all of a sudden it burst into flames, i literally shat myself, we had a new carpet and my mum had spent an age re covering the dining room suite, anyway, as the ball started to burn the carpet i tried to put it out with my hand, as i hit the ball it stuck to my hand, still burning, I shook my hand in pain and it flew straight onto the dining room suite, which was a corner unit, very 70's anyway, burnt carpet, dining room suite, smoke everywhere and i had given myself plastic surgery.

Mum and Step dad fuming, me sore hand and whipped down to the hospital, however, i did later become a pretty good table tennis player, with a bat :D