House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mbga9pgf

Immoral Buying Strategy -

Was thinking, with increased divorce in this immoral decadent society, would anyone find it sick to target new divorcees as sellers willing to take huge price cuts to get out of a sh*tty situation?

IN other words, go and check up at the court who has recently had their marriage dissolved, find thier address then whack em with 30% below asking? I can imagine there are a few desperate people out there willing to accept ANY offer in order to get away from each other. Just an idea.

I think you will find one half of any divorce wants to keep the house come hell or high water! Just as having a bridal gown to show her friends is one end of a marriage to that half keeping the house is the other end. Holding onto it is a status thing amongst the female gender.

I think you will find one half of any divorce wants to keep the house come hell or high water! Just as having a bridal gown to show her friends is one end of a marriage to that half keeping the house is the other end. Holding onto it is a status thing amongst the female gender.

But surely with allimony in these days of uber debt, surely the house is the only asset we have to share?

Guest muttley

John Mortimer QC compared marraige to a hurricane.

"It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing,and in the end you lose your house"

Edited by muttley

Was thinking, with increased divorce in this immoral decadent society, would anyone find it sick to target new divorcees as sellers willing to take huge price cuts to get out of a sh*tty situation?

IN other words, go and check up at the court who has recently had their marriage dissolved, find thier address then whack em with 30% below asking? I can imagine there are a few desperate people out there willing to accept ANY offer in order to get away from each other. Just an idea.

Although I didn't deliberately set out to do it, I FTBd in 1995 from a couple splitting up.

I got a really nice 3 bed house well below market value. I placed a low offer in on the morning the house came on the market and they snapped it up. I couldn't believe my luck. The house was fully kitted out with new windows, kitchen, bathroom and all (and I mean all) of the interior had been updated. The previous owner to this couple was a builder apparently.

From viewing the house to moving in took less than a month.

One of them went back to live with their parents, and one moved to a squalid 1 bed flat. Both were left in deep negative equity.

They had a young child so I am slightly surprised the mum didn't stay in the property after the split.

Do I feel immoral or guilty? Not a chance.

It would be a nice idea if we got have a FAQ style list of desperate sellers. If prices do head south then many sellers just won't be around for a while.

So who will sell no matter what? Here's my starter of a list:

Unmarried dead people

Bankrupts or near-bankrupts

Long Term Unnemployed

Divorcees

Banks

Buy To Lets?

It may be a case to get a real bargain that we have to go to the sources.

Any ideas?

It would be a nice idea if we got have a FAQ style list of desperate sellers. If prices do head south then many sellers just won't be around for a while.

So who will sell no matter what? Here's my starter of a list:

Unmarried dead people

Bankrupts or near-bankrupts

Long Term Unnemployed

Divorcees

Banks

Buy To Lets?

It may be a case to get a real bargain that we have to go to the sources.

Any ideas?

The other key forced sellers will be builders. Near me there are thousands of flats being built and offered for sale at ridiculous prices. Who is going to buy a 1 bed new build flat when they can buy a 2 or 3 bed house for less? At the moment BTLers buy them, but if they have to sell them to FTBs the price will collapse.

What's immoral or decadent about divorce? In any case, finances are sorted out before divorce - by the time that comes through the house has long gone if there's going to be a sale.

If you were realy ruthless,

Mc,Millian nurses are the best indication of when a house will be coming up for sale.

I have dabbled in property renovations over the years and have purchased divorced,

deceased and re-possed properties.

I have never gone out intentionaly chasing these types of property, but they

are always the bargains at the time.

Ps

The wife has relatives who are

MC,Millan nurse, Solicitors clerk, Undertakers girlfriend, and Hospital operating room nurse.

So If I was that way inclined, I would have a head start.. Or should it be a "dead" start

why feel guilty???

the rest of the world are at this game,looking to fleece the poor unsuspecting punter on the way up.

same is true on the way down.it's business.

.....the thing is some of us know the rules,and some people THINK they know.

only when things get really crappy will you know who shows their mettle.

"It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing,and in the end you loose your house"

:lol::lol::lol:

(Actually it was an American friend of John Mortimer who made this comparison, not JM himself)

Edited by JohnnyLaw

"It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing,and in the end you lose your house"

You cant beat the start of a relationship can you ;)

On a serious note though.

There was a house 2 minutes away that was a divorce case. Was on the market for a while. The husband - who had left wanted it sold and the wife was still there and was obstructive towards the sale. It was originally on for £230K (way overpriced anyway) and as time went on, the EA's dropped her as a waste of time and she went with others. Time passed and I think the husband has got on her back so much she now WANTS to sell just to get him out of her life. ITs now on for £180K and cannot give it away.

So as the post starter said - It is not cruel but wise to hit these people as they are the main ones that are DESPERATE to sell.

There is no sentiment in business. (I am a nice person though).

Edited by teddyboy

Guest muttley

(Actually it was an American friend of John Mortimer who made this comparison, not JM himself)

I defer.My favourite John Mortimer anecdote comes from a friend of his also:

The friend was a conscientious objector (as was Mortimer himself) during WWII.At the time any CO was put before a board and interrogated about their moral stance.

One of the questions put to his friend was "What would you do if you came across a group of German soldiers raping your grandmother?".To which he replied "I'd wait for them to finish,then I'd bury the poor dear again".

My friend bought from divorcees a few years ago, infact the (ex)wife bought my friends house so it was like a very complicated house exchange. I don't remember whether she got it at a discount (I think she did) but it took her 10 months to complete. Also, the house (not supprisingly) fell into disrepair and took a further year and £50,000 to put it right.

Don't forget that increasing divorce rates increases demand on housing as two houses are required where only one house was previously.

Over here in Ireland we have relatively low divorce rates and relatively high average household size as families stay together.

It would turn your stomach (as it does mine) to hear property vested interests here describe this situation in terms that often sound like disappointment !

Yep, if the divorce rate goes up to that in other EU countries and we see more families split then we can anticipate more demand for housing. That's gotta be good for prices ! (ecch!)

It's only immoral if the person was to target divorcee / deceased estates. I read a thread in a BULLS site that advocated persueing deceased estates as you can pick up bargains and were throwing ideas around to get the best deal and how to find distressed properties. I posted a picture of a vulture and was banned off it :lol: Sometimes the truth hurts. Didn't think to google an image of scum B)