House Price Crash Forum
juvenal

Premier Foods Sales Slide

Ah Hovis. Stock price down the hill.

Try walking UP it, on the way to the Mitre once youve been on the lash in the Two Brewers.

I shall be doing it tomorrow night in fact. Getting lashed in the Mitre that is.

All our bread is Hovis, pickle is Branston and gravy is Bisto.

I'm genuinely surprised as eating at home should be on the up.

Apparently the punters are going for 'own brand' cheaper stuff.

I've gone one step further and cut bread almost completely from our diet. We are eating more rice in it's place.

brown rice? takes about 25 minutes to boil it , maybe it's a false economy.

brown rice? takes about 25 minutes to boil it , maybe it's a false economy.

Get a pressure cooker.

My discovery of 2011.

Nice shiny khon (??) from lakeland.

rice in 10 minutes,

dhal in 10.

the secret of indian cooking.

I'm genuinely surprised as eating at home should be on the up.

Making it at home is also on the up....some nice brown homemade bread using some malted flour, easy chutneys with doing it yourself pickled onions all the rage this year and you can't beat real gravy with real meat juices, cornflour and a drop of gravy browning to colour if required.......homemade caremalised slow cooked onion gravy with real creamy mashed potatoes and quality butchers sausages.....not a brand amongst them. ;)

Hovis and most other "branded" bread is fiendishly expensive. Our local supermarket has the big name bread at £1.20+ per loaf, and their own wholemeal at 80p. They are still making profit on their own brand stuff, so the more expensive bread must be highly profitable (as long as you can find mugs to buy it).

Hovis and most other "branded" bread is fiendishly expensive. Our local supermarket has the big name bread at £1.20+ per loaf, and their own wholemeal at 80p. They are still making profit on their own brand stuff, so the more expensive bread must be highly profitable (as long as you can find mugs to buy it).

...Tesco have just increased their decaf Kenco 200g from £5 to £7 ..an increase of 40%...their own brand is just over £2.... :rolleyes:

Making it at home is also on the up....some nice brown homemade bread using some malted flour, easy chutneys with doing it yourself pickled onions all the rage this year and you can't beat real gravy with real meat juices, cornflour and a drop of gravy browning to colour if required.......homemade caremalised slow cooked onion gravy with real creamy mashed potatoes and quality butchers sausages.....not a brand amongst them. ;)

Yes i noticed here alot of bread brands cut half the salt out of their bread or whatever so it's more like eating a bland piece of cake than a bread these days.Maybe that explains the drop in sales.

Yes i noticed here alot of bread brands cut half the salt out of their bread or whatever so it's more like eating a bland piece of cake than a bread these days.Maybe that explains the drop in sales.

Perhaps, or it could be the home-baking trend. Don't buy any 'shop made' bread myself. Buy the flour and make it myself. The difference in flavour is unbelievable and you can alter the salt content to your preference ;)

Apparently the punters are going for 'own brand' cheaper stuff.

Is there anything cheaper and nastier than these brands?

Mr kipling pies are green wallpaper paste in pastry. Nasty.

Edited by Lone_Twin

They had the same problem back in 2008

They pay about half their cash income in 2010 of £300 Million back out in interest of £150 Million, their net profit was -£100Million, after being leveraged up so high to £1.8 Billion in debt the lenders must be keen to turn a blind eye and hope this all works out.

Edit:

RvYYxJH7.gif

Edited by northwestsmith2

If you like Indian food naan bread is surprisingly easy to make. And it smells so ******ing good.

But Tesco coffee is shit

I got some good nescafe style coffee in wilco.....the label is not written in english Brazilia extra-forte nova embalagem mesmo sabor!.....200g just over £2....very good I must say. ;)