House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rw42

Thorium / Lftr Reactors

Does anyone know of any companies doing research/building these?

Been re-reading stuff like www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/ambroseevans_pritchard/8393984/Safe-nuclear-does-exist-and-China-is-leading-the-way-with-thorium.html - it seems a relatively safe hedge against oil etc to me.

From everything i've read so far it seems to be the chinese government etc doing the research though - was looking for a company to place a couple of quid with which might benefit from the upside if it does start to see widespread usage.

Nukes are good but they only work if you build 50 plus in a short time. The biggest impact of building a lot is that you get good at building them quickly. Your first nuke might take 7 years your third takes maybe 5 years but your 40th nuke only takes 2 years.

Over a 80 year lifetime an EPR will produce more than a million TWH and save more than 25B in fuel cost @ today prices.

Only China & maybe India 30 years from now could expand nuclear much at all

Does anyone know of any companies doing research/building these?

Been re-reading stuff like www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/ambroseevans_pritchard/8393984/Safe-nuclear-does-exist-and-China-is-leading-the-way-with-thorium.html - it seems a relatively safe hedge against oil etc to me.

From everything i've read so far it seems to be the chinese government etc doing the research though - was looking for a company to place a couple of quid with which might benefit from the upside if it does start to see widespread usage.

No idea. I've wondered about opportunities there. EDF might be the nearest to a direct investment. Other than that, engineering companies like Babcock that supply the industry. But that's all very dilute investments! Maybe a fund that invests in it (let me know if you find one)!

No idea. I've wondered about opportunities there. EDF might be the nearest to a direct investment. Other than that, engineering companies like Babcock that supply the industry. But that's all very dilute investments! Maybe a fund that invests in it (let me know if you find one)!

http://flibe-energy.com/ seems the closest to a commercial company that i could find - hopefully they'll list sometime soon. A lot of the websites i've been googling look very basic/amateur!

Edit:

If anyone else is curious.

Edited by rw42