House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sortofsilver

I Bought A House A Couple Of Years Ago.

Hello All

I thought i would check in and see what was going on. I basically waited around for years for the prices to seriously crash thinking 30% minimum and then i would snap one up. I waited and waited and waited and life being what it is carried on going past. Anyway the decision was made and having a child kicked it all off. We purchased a house and that was that. What the experience has taught me.

1. When stuff goes tits up it costs a bomb and you have to pay yourself.

2. If you are buying a house with any sort of flat roof (on the garage) you WILL have to replace it. Factor it into a discount from the owner. And when you make the choice to replace it do not have another flat roof convert it to a pitched roof.

3a. Check EVERY single radiator comes on correctly. I didn't and kerching one happy plumber.

3b. Don't buy a house with micro bore heating pipes. See 3a.

4. Check you neighbours out. i.e. A Ritalin kid next door that does not always take his tablets every day. Think of random squawking in the garden for an hour for no reason.

5. Talking of gardens i came from a flat. I hate gardening and mowing the lawn is totally a waste of time.

6. It does not matter how many more rooms you have you can still only occupy one at a time. Which makes me wonder why i wanted the others in the first place.

I figured what is the worst case scenario both of us lose our jobs and we lose the house and deposit we saved or years of negative equity and stagnation. Either way i couldn't really give a monkey's. All the best.

How much would an average 3 bed house cost to re-roof - very roughly ?

And as for neighbours. I am afraid there is NOTHING you can do about that. Unless you buy all the surrounding houses yourself and decide who lives there. Any neighbour can change in a matter of weeks and there is nothing you can do about it. Probably one of my biggest fears about buying somewhere.