House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
darwin

Supermarket ' Law Shops ' To Open

Supermarket 'law shops' to open - LINK

Banks and supermarkets are to be able to sell consumer legal services in England and Wales for the first time following a change in law.
The government says the new Legal Services Act will offer more choice and better value for the public.

I'm wondering what the implications might be doing, say, conveyancing through a supermarket.

Supermarket 'law shops' to open - LINK

I'm wondering what the implications might be doing, say, conveyancing through a supermarket.

We`ll all be a damn sight better off. Conveyancing rarely amounts to more than an hour of standard form filling, yet solicitors have made it into a cash cow for themselves by spinning as some form of rocket surgery. I look forward to the day when an Indian call centre will do it for me for twenty quid.

What's even more appalling is the Tories are going to allow BANKS to sell legal products. :ph34r:

Can you imagine?

They mis sell endowment policies

They mis sell pension policies

They miss sell permanent protection insurance

They miss sell credit card debt

They miss sell mortgages

They bankrupt themselves and require $1trillion of taxpayer support.

So what does Dim Dave do?

He thinks it will be a simply brilliant idea if they're now allowed to sell legal products.

What could possibly go wrong?

"Would you let Tesco do your conveyancing?"

They cannot possibly be worse...

This is my experience, too... especially when the solicitor knows that it's a one-off.

Conveyancing should be a commodity service... I see no reason Tesco should not do it... if there's a dispute, tesco - at least - have the assets to make legal claims of negligence worthwhile - if they're true. I think it would be a brave person to claim Tesco had got it wrong if Tesco didn't admit fault.

This is my experience, too... especially when the solicitor knows that it's a one-off.

Conveyancing should be a commodity service... I see no reason Tesco should not do it... if there's a dispute, tesco - at least - have the assets to make legal claims of negligence worthwhile - if they're true. I think it would be a brave person to claim Tesco had got it wrong if Tesco didn't admit fault.

What should really happen is that the process of buying and selling houses should be made much simpler in England. It is already simpler in Scotland, although it also has its problems.

Once the solicitor cartel has been busted open in dealing with conveyancing (yes, there are already non-solicitor 'licensed conveyancers', but these don't have much of an impact), there is less of a vested interest in keeping the process complicated, and more chance of meaningful reform.

Edited by WageslaveX14

You don't need a solicitor to do conveyancing. I've done my own three times (1 purchase, 2 sales). It's not difficult when the property is registered at the Land Registry (most are) and Freehold.