House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
el duderino

Rent Mobility

We keep saying that renting is not money down the drain in the current market, and we base it on comparisons mortgage interest vs rent. Another factor that is rarely mentioned is mobility.

6 months ago, my company did not win the contracts they were expecting to, and they had to make redundant a good 20% of the staff, while giving petty pay rises to the rest of them. I sent my CV and their main competitor, based 200 miles away, hired me with a 7K/y pay rise, because they won too much work and had not enough experienced staff. Most of the people in my old company had to shut up, moan and accept the reduced salaries (when account for inflation). The ones who were made redundant had to face increased commuting because nearby companies doing similar work were at least 100miles away.

Although I intend to buy a house when earnings / prices ratio gets to reasonable levels, I can’t imagine what my current position would be if I had a house and needed to relocate. Mobility of rent got me out of big trouble.

My case is not one of rising unemployment, just a case of redistribution of workload betweeen companies. I am too young to remember what happened during the last recesion, but I can see that being tied to a house while things are going bad can drive you mad! I guess, this is another proof that renting in a stagnating house market AND economy in general (never mind a falling market!) is not money down the drain.

Anyone else to share similar cases?

I am too young to remember what happened during the last recesion

well in the 1980 one groups of youth had nothing to do but wear budgie jackets or harringtons. dockers or monkey boots. they would hang out at the youth opportunity schemes (YOPS) smoking regal cigarettes or roll ups talking about the film scum. some had honda mopeds, but most walked or got a subsidiesed bus. bike riders more often than not had raleigh barnded steel racing bikes with very thin tyres. some upturned the handle bars to make bull bars.

besides saying 'wotcha' or 'giss a job' there was always mindless vandalism or litter dropping. some days you could go to the local arcade and play donkey kong or hunchback of notre dame. defender was popular as was tron. but the spiders that came out of the spaceship section would always get me. there would be by design at every arcade some poor looking kid rattling the bandit payout slots or trying to get go of your space invaders by the promise of earning an extra life. they also had a knack of flicking at the gamble or collect button on the bandits to 60p from 10p and knowing when they were likely to payout three bells feature or nudge.

after a morning of nothing it would be time then to go to the jobcentre. which were bright orange at the time. you would browse through the cards on the walls. [qualified fork lift truck driver] must have degree in physics and 5 years fast pilot experience. combat pref. [senior typist] would suit single slim blonde woman with no children. no men or over 30s. you pick up the card, take it to the desk. the staff would then proudly inform the employer than an applicant had expressed an interest for an interview. they'd than say 'sorry its gone'. before you knew it, youd be thrust out of the job centre and into the high street right in front of a bus full of hot, employed chicks. laughing and pointing.

by the time you walked back from town it would be 7pm. missing blockbusters, but still in time for bullseye. id drink a watneys party five, eat peas on toast and go to bed dreaming of the impending nuclear war with the soviet union.

well in the 1980 one groups of youth had nothing to do but wear budgie jackets or harringtons. dockers or monkey boots. they would hang out at the youth opportunity schemes (YOPS) smoking regal cigarettes or roll ups talking about the film scum. some had honda mopeds, but most walked or got a subsidiesed bus. bike riders more often than not had raleigh barnded steel racing bikes with very thin tyres. some upturned the handle bars to make bull bars.

besides saying 'wotcha' or 'giss a job' there was always mindless vandalism or litter dropping. some days you could go to the local arcade and play donkey kong or hunchback of notre dame. defender was popular as was tron. but the spiders that came out of the spaceship section would always get me. there would be by design at every arcade some poor looking kid rattling the bandit payout slots or trying to get go of your space invaders by the promise of earning an extra life. they also had a knack of flicking at the gamble or collect button on the bandits to 60p from 10p and knowing when they were likely to payout three bells feature or nudge.

after a morning of nothing it would be time then to go to the jobcentre. which were bright orange at the time. you would browse through the cards on the walls. [qualified fork lift truck driver] must have degree in physics and 5 years fast pilot experience. combat pref. [senior typist] would suit single slim blonde woman with no children. no men or over 30s. you pick up the card, take it to the desk. the staff would then proudly inform the employer than an applicant had expressed an interest for an interview. they'd than say 'sorry its gone'. before you knew it, youd be thrust out of the job centre and into the high street right in front of a bus full of hot, employed chicks. laughing and pointing.

by the time you walked back from town it would be 7pm. missing blockbusters, but still in time for bullseye. id drink a watneys party five, eat peas on toast and go to bed dreaming of the impending nuclear war with the soviet union.

Fred, do you write for a living?

If not, why not?

Love it!

thanks. do you think people would buy it ?

id call it 'aqua soup' 3.45p from penguin.

'a diary of wasted opportunity and unclaimed benefits.'

Go for it.

If Alan Bennett can make misery pay...

:)

A marvellous evocation of an 80s I was only dimly aware of. I only knew it through telly.. Auf Wiedersehen, Pet, Minder et al.

Aren't you an Estate Agent, RFD? Surely you'd be drummed out of the Agents' Lodge with so much literacy?

Been there, done that. Thatcher basically closed Wales down in 1979. I'll never forget the mass, often 50 a side, games of footie in the park of an afternoon. I'll never forget taking on the Iraqis or the Iranians, those whose parents had money and had sent them overseas to avoid the war, at footie or, better still, watching the Iraqis playing the Iranians. How we laughed as they used to have the inevitable punch-up. One of the 'boys' later blew up the World Trade Centre and is now serving life in a US jail.

I often wonder how many members of the Iranian Secret Police or Al Qaeda are currently receiving a student education in Swansea.

thanks. do you think people would buy it ?

id call it 'aqua soup' 3.45p from penguin.

'a diary of wasted opportunity and unclaimed benefits.'

Its coming time. During a recession i reckon 'retro recession' will become real fashionable (just like with conservatism in america - it harks back to its previous incarnation for inspiration). I remember during the early 90s recession in Sydney. All of a sudden 'Soup Kitchens' (with high quality soup, at about the equivalent of 5 quid a cup today) became totally trendy and everyone including what was left of the Yuppy city types were well into it. You were nobody if you hadn't been to the latest trendy soup kitchen.

Go Fred Go.