House Price Crash Forum
eric pebble

Should We Sell Our Home Or Rent It Out And Wait For House Prices To Rise?

Should we sell our home or rent it out and wait for house prices to rise?

Answer in one line: Get the F*CK out ASAP!!!!

GREAT letter/comment from an honest distressed landlord after that article @ 17:56:

"i agree with adam,take what you can and run.i am an experienced portfolio landlord and house developer,the housing markets a mess and not likely to be resolved any time soon.also with heaps of new legislation being piled onto landlords you need to be aware that this is service industry you are considering with a precarious outcome based on; no voids,no repairs and no bad debt,and i can tell you i've experienced it all,sometimes all in the one property. take what you can and move to spain or france and sip wine in the sunshine,with a wee smile as you think back to listening to, and acting on this sound advice.believe me like many landlords if i could get out i would,but stuck in a bubble of negative equity and jobless tenants is causing sleepless nights.the nightmare is yet to come...

- alastair, ayrshire, 30/9/2011 17:56"

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2043276/Should-sell-home-rent-wait-house-prices-rise.html#ixzz1ZwOMebjZ

Answer in one line: Get the F*CK out ASAP!!!!

GREAT letter/comment from an honest distressed landlord after that article @ 17:56:

"i agree with adam,take what you can and run.i am an experienced portfolio landlord and house developer,the housing markets a mess and not likely to be resolved any time soon.also with heaps of new legislation being piled onto landlords you need to be aware that this is service industry you are considering with a precarious outcome based on; no voids,no repairs and no bad debt,and i can tell you i've experienced it all,sometimes all in the one property. take what you can and move to spain or france and sip wine in the sunshine,with a wee smile as you think back to listening to, and acting on this sound advice.believe me like many landlords if i could get out i would,but stuck in a bubble of negative equity and jobless tenants is causing sleepless nights.the nightmare is yet to come...

- alastair, ayrshire, 30/9/2011 17:56"

Read more: http://www.thisismon...l#ixzz1ZwOMebjZ

And if he does want to keep his £390k invested in the property market, he should sell it and buy 2 or 3 cheaper properties that would generate a better rental yield.

believe me like many landlords if i could get out i would,but stuck in a bubble of negative equity and jobless tenants is causing sleepless nights.the nightmare is yet to come...

Well, that's unexpected :D

And if he does want to keep his £390k invested in the property market, he should sell it and buy 2 or 3 cheaper properties that would generate a better rental yield.

Bad advice.

During crashes low end properties fall many times more than the high end. The same applies to rentals as more properties compete for a dwindling number of tenants.

Edited by _w_

Sell to who exactly ?

We have 4 properties for sale in our street, none are distressed sellers, nobody is going to drop the price but nobody is going to buy them either. A complete waste of everyones time, I actually feel sorry for estate agents right now they are like hamsters going around on a wheel, somebody should put them out of their misery.

Some people are so so stupid. I have said this for years and will say it again. In fact I started a thread on it almost exactly 3 years ago.

HPC ammo building for the future

Once the market does start to recover - and prices do appear to be genuinely rising - just what are all the 'rent it out instead' crowd going to do ? Yes - pile their place back onto the market therefore increasing supply therefore suppressing prices again. It is such a simple common sense thing - however so many just cannot see it.

* And yes there is also demand built up for the future. However after waiting so long these people are not going to be in any great rush.

****** sake took to the 3rd 'expert' to even mention rental yields. I have no clue about this stuff and it is the first thing I calculated when reading the original story.

How do you become an expert ? Why can't I get paid for talking pish like this !! Easy enough to do. And it seems even if you get it wrong time after time you still get invited back.

Some people are so so stupid. I have said this for years and will say it again. In fact I started a thread on it almost exactly 3 years ago.

HPC ammo building for the future

Once the market does start to recover - and prices do appear to be genuinely rising - just what are all the 'rent it out instead' crowd going to do ? Yes - pile their place back onto the market therefore increasing supply therefore suppressing prices again. It is such a simple common sense thing - however so many just cannot see it.

* And yes there is also demand built up for the future. However after waiting so long these people are not going to be in any great rush.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, that gives them 30 years to work out a strategy.

You should rent it out for a peppercorn sum - then, in a few more years, you should gladly accept a fraction of the price you could achieve today if you were a motivated seller.

Why would anyone prefer to help the sort of owner who needs to ask over the next occupant? We know prices are falling - all that remains to be seen is who accepts what size of paper losses.

****** sake took to the 3rd 'expert' to even mention rental yields. I have no clue about this stuff and it is the first thing I calculated when reading the original story.

How do you become an expert ? Why can't I get paid for talking pish like this !! Easy enough to do. And it seems even if you get it wrong time after time you still get invited back.

Yup:

Michael Pigface Coogan;

Ray Fat-face Thick-as-pigsh1t Coulger

[etc.]