House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

Free Parking In Oldham On Saturdays

Leeches realise they may have killed the host, decide to stop sucking quite so hard to try to keep it alive. Too late - they've pushed shopers out of town/online through high charges, now shops closing and they're losing both the parking revenues and business rates. Completely predictable.

Edited by mikthe20

Leeches realise they may have killed the host, decide to stop sucking quite so hard to try to keep it alive. Too late - they've pushed shopers out of town/online through high charges, now shops closing and they're losing both the parking revenues and business rates. Completely predictable.

I agree......all large towns should provide some free parking, it makes a great deal of difference as to where you shop...the parking cost has to be taken into consideration...nobody likes to feel they are being rushed, on a time limit, to watch the clock...people like to browse, look for bargains stop for a bite to eat or a cup of tea.....people think twice about it when they have to factor in the parking charges, especially when they look at their annual CT bill.....they feel they are being taken for a ride. ;)

Oldham's parking isn't dear anyway. A couple of quid for a couple of hours in the car park next to the shopping centre.

Not expensive like Manchester anyway!

Will a couple of quid saved encourage people? Not me. I hate going on a Saturday as town is busy.

Charges have gone up in Swansea. Also introduced machines where you have to type your registration number in so it gets printed on your ticket - meaning you can't hand it to another person when leaving the car park before the time is up.

It appears to be killing the city centre.

I was just in Milton Keynes today and tNCP have taken over the last bastion of free parking next to the main shopping center....the free parking zone ( marked in green ) is not 30p per hour. They've sneakily left the green lines ( indicating free parking traditionally ) so unless you read the signs you'll get a ticket.

Coincidentally, they extended parking zones into the surrounding residential zones at the same time. it's now almost impossible to park for free in MK center. even though there is lots of empty parking space. Parking charges are 7 days per week !!!

I've stopped going there.

Perfectly written & spot on.

And it's not just revenue from the car parks. The parking penalty tickets needed to enforce this parking rip off also generate cash for the council. They're ALL at it.

Will a couple of quid saved encourage people? Not me. I hate going on a Saturday as town is busy.

Sorry, but a couple of quid makes a difference to me. Big time. It's the principal, the money and also the inconvenience of time limits (as has been mentioned). If I'm going to spend some money in the local businesses, why the hell should I pay for the privilege?

Charges have gone up in Swansea. Also introduced machines where you have to type your registration number in so it gets printed on your ticket - meaning you can't hand it to another person when leaving the car park before the time is up.

It appears to be killing the city centre.

The further they go, the more they alienate their shoppers. I like browse around without necessarily spending anything. Being forced to shell out cash on arrival spoils that in a subtle way. And certainly does make me think twice about going there in the first place. Regular browsing turns into essential trips only.

Coincidentally, they extended parking zones into the surrounding residential zones at the same time. it's now almost impossible to park for free in MK center. even though there is lots of empty parking space. Parking charges are 7 days per week !!!

Don't even get me started on all the numerous spaces available to park, which are now covered in yellow lines. There was more than enough space for everyone. Now it's gone.

There's a word for all this. It's called greed. BRITISH GREED.

/rant ;)

Edited by Darkman