House Price Crash Forum
Dave Beans

"high House Prices Are Destroying Family Life"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2045371/Planning-reform-High-house-prices-destroying-family-life.html

High house prices are ‘destroying family life’, a senior minister warned yesterday – as he launched a staunch defence of the Government’s controversial planning system reform.

Planning minister Greg Clark said the changes were vital to increase house building and curb soaring prices. Critics, led by the National Trust, have warned that the Government’s reforms will lead to a development ‘free-for-all’ and bring Los Angeles-style urban sprawl to the UK. But Mr Clark insisted ministers ‘cherished’ the countryside and would provide protection for beauty spots. He said the bureaucratic planning system was a major obstacle to more house building, which fell to its lowest level since the 1920s last year.

And he warned the housing shortage was damaging the lives of the young.

Mr Clark said: ‘It’s destroying family life in so many ways. How can a family put down roots if they’re on six months’ notice to quit on a buy-to-let?

‘Young parents are having to spend more of their earnings on rent, and less on their children. Living in tiny flats and houses without the gardens they played in as children. Leading isolated lives, miles from where their children’s grandparents and other relatives are.’

Mr Clark insisted ministers were ‘stewards of a matchless countryside’ and wanted to protect it. He also said ministers will meet one of campaigners’ key demands, by requiring developers to consider brownfield sites before building on open countryside.

‘We’ll insist on excellent design not Lego-towns and we’ll make sure that planning decisions are taken by local people ,’ he added.

Will be interested to see if this is covered on BBC News...!

Excerpt from one of the top comments:

'A tiny cramped rabbit hutch of a place with everybody on top of each other, no room to move, nowhere to escape the noise from the TV, nowhere with peace or space to do anything except line up on the sofa and eat.'

So true!! My girlfriend owns her flat but it's out of town. At weekends there isn't much to do (I read, learn German etc, she'll watch the tv).. she'd like a big house but I keep saying, what for? We'll still be just as bored!

Edited by guitarman001

Nice to hear the truth from the Mail for a change.

Yes indeed, it is so annoying continually hearing the MSM heralding an increase in house prices as being a good thing.

It amazes me how young people in their 20’s and 30’s seem to be happily walked all over, their parents would never have taken it, maybe the lack of brutality in schools has created a generation of softies.

Edited by PricedOutNative

Will be interested to see if this is covered on BBC News...!

Excerpt from one of the top comments:

'A tiny cramped rabbit hutch of a place with everybody on top of each other, no room to move, nowhere to escape the noise from the TV, nowhere with peace or space to do anything except line up on the sofa and eat.'

So true!! My girlfriend owns her flat but it's out of town. At weekends there isn't much to do (I read, learn German etc, she'll watch the tv).. she'd like a big house but I keep saying, what for? We'll still be just as bored!

I think the idea is if you live in an urban box you spend as little time as possible in it, you should be either working to pay for it, or out enjoying yourself spending your hard earnings on generating growth in the vibrant community.....a box is there to crash out in later. ;)

Change the law then, lawmaker.

They are all Evil B@stards.

I think the idea is if you live in an urban box you spend as little time as possible in it, you should be either working to pay for it, or out enjoying yourself spending your hard earnings on generating growth in the vibrant community.....a box is there to crash out in later. ;)

Yeah, it's best to stay drunk.

" How can a family put down roots if they’re on six months’ notice to quit on a buy-to-let"

It is 2 months when the AST has expired. When both my kids started at the village school, I decided rental was no longer practical, there was simply nothing else suitable to rent in the area if we were kicked out. Our very nice landlord was seriously ill, if he would have passed on, the relatives would have had us out straight away.

Change the law then, lawmaker.

I agree - they should repeal all planning restrictions and return the responsibility of what to build and where to the land owners. If people want a pretty view, they should buy (individually or collectively) the land within it.

edit: reworded

Edited by Traktion

It amazes me how young people in their 20's and 30's seem to be happily walked all over, their parents would never have taken it, maybe the lack of brutality in schools has created a generation of softies.

We aren't, that's why ones like me complain about housing, space standards etc. to our MPs, even though I live social housing built to standards more generous than parker morris. I complain on behalf of my peers and countrymen!

Renting privately? ****** that for a game of soldiers!

That's what David Cameron said a few moments ago at the conference in Manchester.

Well, they're still booming in many areas, so pretty sustainable so far - unfortunately - as some are still paying those prices

And isn't Cameron about to introduce initiatives to "help" first-time buyers - leading to more sustaining of the prices and leading to more debt being taken on by people who he has suggested should pay down their debt?

And isn't the almost nothing interest rates helping to sustain those house prices? Causing inflation, causing rents to rise (in some areas at least), and essentials to rise in price almost by the week?

Say one thing, do another it seems. So far - at least

Stop the talking Mr Cameron, Mr Clegg - and do something sensible at last!

That's what David Cameron said a few moments ago at the conference in Manchester.

Well, they're still booming in many areas, so pretty sustainable so far - unfortunately - as some are still paying those prices

And isn't Cameron about to introduce initiatives to "help" first-time buyers - leading to more sustaining of the prices and leading to more debt being taken on by people who he has suggested should pay down their debt?

And isn't the almost nothing interest rates helping to sustain those house prices? Causing inflation, causing rents to rise (in some areas at least), and essentials to rise in price almost by the week?

Say one thing, do another it seems. So far - at least

Seems a strange comment to make. At least when Gordon Brown made his idiotic speech about 'no more boom and bust' in 1997 prices had boomed and bust. Now they have boomed, teetered on the brink for a while but not bust.

So he is 'admitting' houses prices are too high, but was on Breakfast TV yesterday virtually guaranteeing 0.5% interest rates in the long term.

I am hoping they actually know what the issue is - and just can't say it for fear of scaring the shite out of half the public.

Positive thinking.

Seems a strange comment to make. At least when Gordon Brown made his idiotic speech about 'no more boom and bust' in 1997 prices had boomed and bust. Now they have boomed, teetered on the brink for a while but not bust.

So he is 'admitting' houses prices are too high, but was on Breakfast TV yesterday virtually guaranteeing 0.5% interest rates in the long term.

Well, unless I dozed off and dreamt it, he said that at 15:29 by my watch, strange I know

Maybe he just means house prices won't go up at the same rate in future, so don't expect huge gains on any property you happen to own. Whilst desperately hoping they don't go down too far or too quickly, either, as this would harm the banks (God forbid!) and his chances of re-election.

Too right. Its all very well talking about the housing crisis. Does it not dawn on them that a General Election will come around sooner than they realise and sorting out housing would be vote winner?

I am hoping they actually know what the issue is - and just can't say it for fear of scaring the shite out of half the public.

Positive thinking.

Talk Talk Talk thats all they do, they have no plans to act.

Some landlord and councillor was interviewed for the TV before he spoke along with a doctor and some IT woman, and the landlord was tickled pink because he seemed very convinced Cameron was to introduce help for FTBs to quote unfreeze the frozen property market unquote

One thing I do endorse: DC just stated he will undo the red tape and ridiculous levels of Health & Safety. When I was abroad, I told officials there they'd never be allowed to do such and such an activity in the UK without such and such precautions. They thought I was kidding. That also includes the ridiculous over-coning off of the roads here when there is a workforce to protect, much of the time it is totally over the top here, beyond any common sense

Maybe he just means house prices won't go up at the same rate in future, so don't expect huge gains on any property you happen to own. Whilst desperately hoping they don't go down too far or too quickly, either, as this would harm the banks (God forbid!) and his chances of re-election.

I won't put a percentage figure on how over-valued even in nominal fiat terms I think many properties on the market (and sold) are, but they seem all too sticky on the way down because of this interference by the government and bailing out fraudsters and feckless types

Too right. Its all very well talking about the housing crisis. Does it not dawn on them that a General Election will come around sooner than they realise and sorting out housing would be vote winner?

Probably tomorrow they'll announce more QE and cut rates to 0.25% knowing this lot (hope to be wrong)

Some landlord and councillor was interviewed for the TV before he spoke along with a doctor and some IT woman, and the landlord was tickled pink because he seemed very convinced Cameron was to introduce help for FTBs to quote unfreeze the frozen property market unquote

By the look of it these sort of hlep FTB measures are just token gestures. Been there for years now - and thank goodness most potential FTB's are not being sucked in by them.

How many years till the next election - just under 4 ? Would be interesting to know they plans regarding the housing market. If it continues as it is - just going to drag down year after year for a long long time.

Don't some of the big construction firms donate a lot money to the Conservatives?

One thing I do endorse: DC just stated he will undo the red tape and ridiculous levels of Health & Safety. When I was abroad, I told officials there they'd never be allowed to do such and such an activity in the UK without such and such precautions. They thought I was kidding. That also includes the ridiculous over-coning off of the roads here when there is a workforce to protect, much of the time it is totally over the top here, beyond any common sense

Heh - a few months back in Camden, there was a bit of dodgy road works going on. Pretty sure the worker was Eastern/Central European - he was keen for a start.

Anyway - no cones, no barriers. Just him, a dirty great wheelbarrow on the pavement, and a run out into the middle of the road to dump a shovelfull of asphalt and tamp it down every time the lights changed. Genius.

By the look of it these sort of hlep FTB measures are just token gestures. Been there for years now - and thank goodness most potential FTB's are not being sucked in by them.

How many years till the next election - just under 4 ? Would be interesting to know they plans regarding the housing market. If it continues as it is - just going to drag down year after year for a long long time.

...agreed ...pure token to meet the zombies expectations ...the best advice to FTBs IMO ...is 'don't buy' stay flexible or you'll live to regret it ...even in the short term once reality hits..... :rolleyes:

Edited by South Lorne