House Price Crash Forum

I have started car sharing with two other people at work and now we are all saving money. If fuel usage has really fallen by this much, there must be loads of other people doing the same.

Before car share, we were each doing 60 miles a day, mainly motorway, each using about £200 of fuel per month, roughly £9 per day each to work and back driving normally.

We now pay £55 each towards the fuel, which lasts for a month, approx. £2.5per day to work and back. We achieved this with not only sharing the journey, but also driving more carefully as saving fuel has become a bit of an obsession, (we stay behind lorries at 50-60mph, anticipate traffic so reduce the need to brake hard and built up speed etc.). Also, we have an opportunity to chat over issues such as issues like HPC, big bang, religion etc. It’s great, just need to find more people travelling in the same direction.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't these people who are buying economical cars and driving them economically realise that they are committing the sin of tax avoidance? What has UK UnCut got to say about it? :D

Very true, but no doubt the lefties will say that is "good" avoidance whereas a company owner who chooses to move to a lower tax country is undertaking "bad" avoidance. Many of these people don't understand the difference between tax avoidance and evasion though, so I suppose it would be no surprise if they saw it in such a way.

Mine is badged GTI which is why I got it for less in auction than the badged TDI 130's that sold on the same day as they didnt want to risk buying a petrol. ;)

You might have larger sized tyres and alloys on your car then becuase even the new tyres I fitted back in Aug still give me a speedo reading of 70mph and the GPS will read around 66mph. GPS is more accurate I use Speedview on android as its records your GPS data so you can prove your speed if you ever need to and whilst that runs in the background I have GPS test from ChartCross.co.uk as my main speedo display.

My alloys are OZ rims that were fitted by the main dealer from the previous owner - you would have thought they would be calibrated - but hey ho they might not be. Following the police is interesting though as they often go well over 70 on my speedo. I have never had the satnav or androidy speedo thing running whilst following the police.

Re: recording your gps log - I wonder how well it would stand up in court. As most of us here could edit the log.

Torque for android is interesting as it shows all the information that you can get from the ECU. I still intend to log some of this stuff to look at how I drive - except I don't go on any regular journeys - not having much work.

Interestingly, the car I bought (2nd hand for cash, don't worry) in July seems to have gone up in value by about 200-400 quid. I'd guess it's because diesels are the only things that are selling at the moment..

I'm looking for a small diesel car at the moment and they seem to sell the moment they show up on Auto Trader. £4000 seems to be the floor for anything small, diesel and half-way decent

I had to laugh because one place I visited had a Mercedes CL55 AMG on his lot that had been on sale for nearly 18 months.

I'm looking for a small diesel car at the moment and they seem to sell the moment they show up on Auto Trader. £4000 seems to be the floor for anything small, diesel and half-way decent

I had to laugh because one place I visited had a Mercedes CL55 AMG on his lot that had been on sale for nearly 18 months.

Don't keep us in suspense, how much was the AMG?

SW1A 1AA is fine if you live in Buckingham Palace but closer to Balmoral, cars are a bit more expensive.

Don't keep us in suspense, how much was the AMG?

2001 model with just under 50,000 miles, leather, auto and electric everything, sticker price is £6995.

The price of petrol wouldn't put me off driving, petrol is cheap as chips! It's far cheaper than beer, and I still buy beer. I don't require insurance for beer though.

Suppose 5000 miles a year driving.

50mpg. ~£6 a gallon, =£600

Insurance, quotes beginning from £5000.

When petrol hits £50 a gallon ~ £10 a Litre, I'll be more concerned about its price than I am insurance.

I have started car sharing with two other people at work and now we are all saving money. If fuel usage has really fallen by this much, there must be loads of other people doing the same.

Before car share, we were each doing 60 miles a day, mainly motorway, each using about £200 of fuel per month, roughly £9 per day each to work and back driving normally.

We now pay £55 each towards the fuel, which lasts for a month, approx. £2.5per day to work and back. We achieved this with not only sharing the journey, but also driving more carefully as saving fuel has become a bit of an obsession, (we stay behind lorries at 50-60mph, anticipate traffic so reduce the need to brake hard and built up speed etc.). Also, we have an opportunity to chat over issues such as issues like HPC, big bang, religion etc. It’s great, just need to find more people travelling in the same direction.

I have done it myself before....picked regular people I knew up from a bus stop that goes to the same place we all are wanting to get to...if they are there, they were there, if not they miss the ride...going home was not as easy because people left work at different times....but we saved a fortune and had fun at the same time. ;)

Edited by winkie

The price of petrol wouldn't put me off driving, petrol is cheap as chips! It's far cheaper than beer, and I still buy beer. I don't require insurance for beer though.

When petrol hits £50 a gallon ~ £10 a Litre, I'll be more concerned about its price than I am insurance.

You have a point - I wish I could stockpile some fuel at today's prices. I prob could with futures or some nonsense. Prob is I dont have any money :)

You also fail to mention that having a car is fairly risky - accidents and expensive repairs( I had to pay £2400 in one year - more than the car was worth but it wasn't in one go) - are two of the things that come to mind.

You have a point - I wish I could stockpile some fuel at today's prices. I prob could with futures or some nonsense. Prob is I dont have any money :)

You also fail to mention that having a car is fairly risky - accidents and expensive repairs( I had to pay £2400 in one year - more than the car was worth but it wasn't in one go) - are two of the things that come to mind.

Might be a bit difficult to tax the leccy used to charge cars at a different rate from the leccy used to run your TV as you can't just dye it like diesel. More moves towards road pricing?

Dead easy you just charge a 10p / kwh tax on usage above 4000kwh

Money issues aside, petrol is tricky to store (dangerous, and it degrades relatively quickly).

Diesel on the other hand could easily be stored in a large home heating oil tank (it's almost the same stuff). If you have a bit of space on your land and you drive a diesel car, a 2000 or 3000l tank might not be a bad idea. I'd imagine you could save a little bit over pump prices by buying in bulk from a wholesale distributor too.

5000? You hardly need a car.

We do less than 2000.

We probably don't need a car. But it's nice to be able to go to places in less than15 minutes rather than walking 15 minutes to a bus stop, waiting for a bus, getting to bus station, getting on second bus after long wait, and walking from bus stop to destination.

I think a hospital journey takes about an hour if you're lucky with catching another bus in town

Taxi fare calculator says:

Taxi Fare: £10.55

Distance: 4.65 miles

Time: 10.78 minutes

http://taxiroute.co.uk/default.aspx

My alloys are OZ rims that were fitted by the main dealer from the previous owner - you would have thought they would be calibrated - but hey ho they might not be. Following the police is interesting though as they often go well over 70 on my speedo. I have never had the satnav or androidy speedo thing running whilst following the police.

Re: recording your gps log - I wonder how well it would stand up in court. As most of us here could edit the log.

Torque for android is interesting as it shows all the information that you can get from the ECU. I still intend to log some of this stuff to look at how I drive - except I don't go on any regular journeys - not having much work.

All car manufacturers deliberately make the speedo read ~5% more than measured speed to prevent legal (& PR) issues if their cars were found to erroneously tell drivers they were within the speed limit.

On VW/Audi/Skoda cars with dual climate control you can get the true speed displayed digitally, which is consistently ~5% off the speedo readout in mine.

If your speedo says 80 you're probably really doing around 76.

It's probably down to me, based on some of the numbers in this thread, like using 20% more fuel at 80mph than 70mph.

I quite often found myself driving well into instant ban speeds but I've been working from home for a month or two now, must be costing the treasury an absolute fortune.

5000? You hardly need a car.

Depends on the nature of the 5000 miles, surely? If that was in an area with decent public transport it'd make a car less "necessary" than if it was 5000 miles in an area with one bus every other Tuesday.

Edited by Shrink Proof

Re: recording your gps log - I wonder how well it would stand up in court.

It won't.

It could only be used to show the officer at the time, even then they would probably not recognise it - hence it's pointless.

You could video your journey, that would be best.

I've had a court case for speeding against me changed from 97mph to 75mph becuase I had the GPS logs against a police officer and camera gun evidence. They couldnt/wouldnt let me use it as evidence though becuase it would show up the discrepenacy in the laser speed measuring devices and throw open a whole can of worms which they didnt want opened. Bottom line is GPS provided you can supply the logs will trump any speed measuring devices becuase the software in the chips cant tell what the laser light is coming from. Fundamental flaw imo.

The reason it would never be allowed is because it is not an approved device.

I obviously don't know what happened in your case, but I dare say it led to you questioning the accuracy of the device and they couldn't be bothered with that route. You were then offered a 'newton plea' where you pleaded guilty, but disputed the speed so they let it go through at 75mph. I very much doubt they caught you at 97mph AND followed all the laser guidelines.

Secondly, it is easy to falsify the log - just do the same journey the next day at the same time - then just amend the date in the log (the date will be on every line, but still do-able).

It won't.

It could only be used to show the officer at the time, even then they would probably not recognise it - hence it's pointless.

You could video your journey, that would be best.

The reason it would never be allowed is because it is not an approved device.

I obviously don't know what happened in your case, but I dare say it led to you questioning the accuracy of the device and they couldn't be bothered with that route. You were then offered a 'newton plea' where you pleaded guilty, but disputed the speed so they let it go through at 75mph. I very much doubt they caught you at 97mph AND followed all the laser guidelines.

Secondly, it is easy to falsify the log - just do the same journey the next day at the same time - then just amend the date in the log (the date will be on every line, but still do-able).

Something like this could be useful - Video and GPS tied in together into a proprietary file format (though you can export just the video in a standard format if you want).

Roadhawk

Just be aware that it is more likely that you will catch yourself doing something naughty, though I think it records in 5min chunks so you can 'lose' those other bits.

I suspect things like speeding will be clamped down on (irrespective of whether they raise the motorway limit) - it's all part of nickle and diming the population with stealth tax.

Sat-Nav becoming more widespread than just high-end cars must have had some significant negative effect on fuel consumption.

Since Sat Nav I don't think I can recall the last time I had to drive around for ages looking for somewhere. I'd also suspect there's much less instances on drivers missing junctions etc.

Sat-Nav becoming more widespread than just high-end cars must have had some significant negative effect on fuel consumption.

Since Sat Nav I don't think I can recall the last time I had to drive around for ages looking for somewhere. I'd also suspect there's much less instances on drivers missing junctions etc.

Brilliant piece of kit......all those years I went without. ;)