House Price Crash Forum
hedgefunded

Petrol Sales Down 15%

Wow, that is huge. I remember a thread I started a few months ago, the report was saying there is 1 million less cars on the road this year than last year too. A decline of 3%.

I notice traffic getting less congested in the roads around me.

I don't go to work much any more - no need for as much fuel.

Dave needs a bit of innovation here

Perhaps a cheme offering hummers at 20% discount on mark up with a state backed mortgage facility offering finance to canny brits for the purchase, Schappsly will be able to cream his pants at such innovativeness

Confirms what I've been seeing less cars on the road at weekend, people cutting back and not just going for a "drive".

It appears the fuel escalator has broken and taxing fuel even more won't bring in more revenue.

Wow, that is huge. I remember a thread I started a few months ago, the report was saying there is 1 million less cars on the road this year than last year too. A decline of 3%.

I notice traffic getting less congested in the roads around me.

Fewer cars (while we're being pedantic)

I must say the traffic is as bad as ever around here, I'd like to see some stats about which parts of the country are buying less fuel.

Why do you think an 80mph speed limit is now being proposed?

Driving at 80mph uses on avg 20% more fuel than driving at 70mph does, so this speed limit change alone will help reverse that drop.

everybody drives at 80 now

In Asia there is this strong understanding of Yin and Yang. The Yin is some leftwing government worker wants people to drive less/use less fuel. The Yang is the taxes to pay his salary and pension come from fuel taxes and economic activity that requires fuel.

This understanding of balance is lost on most westerners. So for example we angrily chased our industry out of the country to reduce pollution and we were proud to do it. Then we are surprised that our economy is falling apart, and our stock portfolios are lower.

LOL, the money printing cretins strike again - the continuation of a decade of failed, destabilising and industry exporting policies have done nothing but increasingly impoverish the nation as a whole, while benefitting a few gamblers and reckless individuals/companies. Appalling figures which show how deep their inflatin is hitting the pockets of the majority of the population.

When last mentioned I said I had noticed a few friends downsizing or cutting out a car from their family transport budget - they have not even done it yet, but will be doing so.

Not everyone, I've been sticking to 70 for over a year now.

My best is 598miles out of a 55litre (12.09 UK Gallons) tank of diesel, from my Golf GTI which is a TDI 150 diesel. ;)

hence you wont change your habits. so it still won't make any diff.

I don't...my car starts shaking at 70 and that is on the rare occasion when I overtake. ;)

Saving on fuel means saving on money....the chances are when going for a spin, as well as the fuel to pay for there is the parking to pay for, the shopping and other entertainments to pay for, if not going to work.

I have had my fair share of speeding on the motorways and dual carriageways in the past, so much so I know the laser speed guns state in their US patents the devices can get speed readings off stationary objects.

One might call me a bit of an expert witness on their workings now. :D

Fair enough:) Still have the red TDI(?) though.

I dont reckon anyone knows what speed they are actually driving at anyway. Following police cars and looking at GPS readings 75ish seems to equal 70 on my speedo anyway.

15% is certainly a significant fall. I wonder how much of it is due to:

1 - the existing stock of cars on the road driving fewer miles

2 - more economic driving techniques in the existing stock of cars (e.g. going slower on motorways)

3 - a structural change in the sort of cars on the road. One of my colleagues got rid of a 10 year-old Saab estate that barely got 25mpg for a little Hyundai thing that gets 55 during the 'bangers for cash' scheme. If a few tens of thousands did likewise, that could add up to a significant impact on road fuel sales.

4 - people giving up car ownership/use altogether.

Confirms what I've been seeing less cars on the road at weekend, people cutting back and not just going for a "drive".

It appears the fuel escalator has broken and taxing fuel even more won't bring in more revenue.

Yes, less cars on the road it seems to me. And that means greater fuel efficiency for those that do still drive.

yes and now they'll be able to drive at 90, burning even more fuel to overcome air resistance.

Yes, less cars on the road it seems to me. And that means greater fuel efficiency for those that do still drive.

Who remembers when hitchhiking was very popular?......seen more evidence of that lately. ;)

They will just bring in new taxes to cover the loss.Cameron now talking about a 'fat' tax on junk foods like in Denmark.

...a different subject....but butter, milk, cheese are not junk foods......highly processed, sugary, salty, trans fatty cheap processed, time saving, convenience style foods are junk foods...the major food manufactures would kick up a stink if VAT was whacked on that. ;)

...a different subject....but butter, milk, cheese are not junk foods......highly processed, sugary, salty, trans fatty cheap processed, time saving, convenience style foods are junk foods...the major food manufactures would kick up a stink if VAT was whacked on that. ;)

I agree sat fat is harmless , if it really was deadly then islanders who get all of their fat from coconut oil would die by the age of 35.Trans fat is the killer and moves should be made to ban it like they did in New York but when theres a buck to be made....

Recently hired Ford Fiesta 1.4 Diesel

- 70mpg at a consistent 65 to 70mph on an 80 mile round trip on motorway

- 52mpg overall including town driving, the above trips and about 150 miles of driving fairly hard on motorways / dual carriageways

With fuel economy like this available it should be no surprise that sales of 6 quid a gallon fuel are falling