House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
timebandit

Publican Karen Murphy V Sky Corps

Ok, good news for common sense however will Sky win in the end? copyright?

Pub landlady Karen Murphy has spoken of her joy after defeating the Premier League in a bid to show football matches via a foreign TV decoder.

Mrs Murphy took up her battle against the league after being told she could not use a cheap foreign provider to show games at her pub, The Red White and Blue, in Portsmouth. But the European Court of Justice said the exclusive system was "contrary to EU law", leaving Mrs Murphy thrilled.

She said: "It's been the battle of the little guy - these corporate people feel they can throw money at things and just win."

Mrs Murphy said: "My reaction is relief, excitement, I'm thrilled. It has taken rather a long time, this has been going on for six years, but obviously it's been worth it. It's taken quite a chunk of my life but I'm glad I took it on. It's been like Karen versus Goliath."

My link

Edited by timebandit

....something like that could cause a real issue to Sky and the indebt premier league clubs.

What sort of percentage of the clubs incomes come from TV rights?

....something like that could cause a real issue to Sky and the indebt premier league clubs.

That'll be all 20 of them then. (bar maybe Man Utd who's you could argue have assets in excess of debts)

Not forgetting the other 72 clubs in England who all run at a loss. Football has been bankrupt for years, it amazes me how clubs throughout the 4 divisions who clearly haemmorhage losses every year manage to attract 'investors'

it did occur to me a while back that football is a relatively cash rich unregulated business where you could come in, run up huge debts against the club company, cream off as much cash as you liked for yourself before being run out of town by the fans, CVA then start again with another likely saviour... :ph34r:

Companies are paying fortunes for this stuff. One cruise line that shall remain nameless pays 1.8m for half a dozen ships to screen the games, 300k per ship per season.

It works out at about 400 quid per game per ship which is loss making, they don't make that in beer sales but they need to be able to say they show the games for marketing reasons.

I'd like to think this would help to end the £200k a week wages for Frank Lamplard, and his merry band of Medioc*nts.

I somehow doubt it.

Edited by PopGun

That'll be all 20 of them then. (bar maybe Man Utd who's you could argue have assets in excess of debts)

Not forgetting the other 72 clubs in England who all run at a loss. Football has been bankrupt for years, it amazes me how clubs throughout the 4 divisions who clearly haemmorhage losses every year manage to attract 'investors'

it did occur to me a while back that football is a relatively cash rich unregulated business where you could come in, run up huge debts against the club company, cream off as much cash as you liked for yourself before being run out of town by the fans, CVA then start again with another likely saviour... :ph34r:

Not all of them run at a loss...

Wont Sky just try and have a pan-European contract, rather than a country one?

I'd like to think this would help to end the £200k a week wages for Frank Lamplard, and his merry band of Medioc*nts.

I somehow doubt it.

I doubt it too, but there is always hope!

Finally, some good news.

As a 'lower league' football supporter, I wholeheartedly agree. The Premiershi* has (in my humble opinion) had a terrible effect on lower league football, and the quality of English talent in our top league stands aside to accomodate "top" foreign stars on obscene wages. This affects all players' expectations in the 'trickle down' theory and has led to a huge number of clubs in administration with CVA's and clubs forced to liquidate. The sooner football clubs return to living within their means (i.e. income does not exceed expenditure) and developing their own English talent the better.

I doubt it too, but there is always hope!

As a 'lower league' football supporter, I wholeheartedly agree. The Premiershi* has (in my humble opinion) had a terrible effect on lower league football, and the quality of English talent in our top league stands aside to accomodate "top" foreign stars on obscene wages. This affects all players' expectations in the 'trickle down' theory and has led to a huge number of clubs in administration with CVA's and clubs forced to liquidate. The sooner football clubs return to living within their means (i.e. income does not exceed expenditure) and developing their own English talent the better.

I'm no fan of the PL, but interesting if true...

http://www.redcafe.net/f7/daily-mail-european-football-leagues-monies-340545/

Not all of them run at a loss...

Wont Sky just try and have a pan-European contract, rather than a country one?

Care to share which ones don't??

There might be a couple of exceptions, but I'd be amazed if more than 2 or 3 out of the 92 are run as a going concern.

Being the supporter of a lower league club who have had a succession of poor leaderships leading us to the financial brink on multiple occasions... I've taken a keen interest in football finances for years and I'm not aware of any clubs who run as a going concern at the moment?

Care to share which ones don't??

There might be a couple of exceptions, but I'd be amazed if more than 2 or 3 out of the 92 are run as a going concern.

Being the supporter of a lower league club who have had a succession of poor leaderships leading us to the financial brink on multiple occasions... I've taken a keen interest in football finances for years and I'm not aware of any clubs who run as a going concern at the moment?

AFC Wimbledon, Yeovil, Exeter to name but three..and that's just off the top of my head...

AFC Wimbledon, Yeovil, Exeter to name but three..and that's just off the top of my head...

AFC Wimbledon, possibly - relative newcomers and still punching below their weight up to last season, only a matter of time before they find their level and the wage bill kills them. The fans expectations always ruin a club financially eventually.

Exeter are a strange example to use? went through CVA last couple of years I believe, nearly shut down by a succession of dodgy directors and owners, not sure how gates of 4k are going to sustain a league 2 wage bill let alone league 1, no way are they making money, just not possible do the maths on 23 home games a season. you don't get much sponsorship or tv money at that level!

Yeovil are a better run club than most, but are still a non league club with gates of 3k they aint going to sustain a football league club. No way in the world are they a going concern, they'll be subsidised to the tune of £1/2m per year at least. Guaranteed.

Exeter are a strange example to use? went through CVA last couple of years I believe, nearly shut down by a succession of dodgy directors and owners, not sure how gates of 4k are going to sustain a league 2 wage bill let alone league 1, no way are they making money, just not possible do the maths on 23 home games a season. you don't get much sponsorship or tv money at that level!

Exeter were bankrupt, run into the ground by crooks, and prior to January 2005 was a right circus, with Uri Geller and Michael Jackson involved off the pitch and 11 muppets on it. Then came their FA Cup 3rd round tie with Man U - drawn at Old Trafford then Man U won at St James's Park. The TV money received from the replay (was screened live on the Beeb) put them back in the black

An interesting example indeed in this thread.

AFC Wimbledon, possibly - relative newcomers and still punching below their weight up to last season, only a matter of time before they find their level and the wage bill kills them. The fans expectations always ruin a club financially eventually.

Yeovil are a better run club than most, but are still a non league club with gates of 3k they aint going to sustain a football league club. No way in the world are they a going concern, they'll be subsidised to the tune of £1/2m per year at least. Guaranteed.

http://www.footballeconomy.com/content/yeovil-football-athletic-club-ltd

Lost a million quid in 2009, hugely due to pay-offs to Russell Slade & Marc Bircham..AFAIK, they're running back in the black again...