House Price Crash Forum
Monkey

The Last 10 Years

at the time of writing, the FTSE is at 0.00% +/- its open price of 0ctober 5th 2001 and it could be the same at close

if you put some money away 10 years ago to the day, you would have made nothing.

taking into account Inflation etc, you have lost money

5 years to the day we are 17.75% down

its amazing, i have been told for years to invest in stock markets, just put your money in spread over the whole market and leave for a number of years.

its raped pensions etc.

its amazing to see

Note, they also change WHO is IN the FTSE every 3 months or so.

What would have happened if you were invested in the FTSE and reinvested the Dividends?

at the time of writing, the FTSE is at 0.00% +/- its open price of 0ctober 5th 2001 and it could be the same at close

if you put some money away 10 years ago to the day, you would have made nothing.

its amazing, i have been told for years to invest in stock markets, just put your money in spread over the whole market and leave for a number of years.

its raped pensions etc.

its amazing to see

6900 in 1999, so quite a fall.

Defined benefit pension plans are struggling. They are also circular, because the companies that support them have to put in more money when they go down in value, which forces the stock price of the sponsoring company down, which moves the value of other funds down which in turn....... Which is why defined benefit pension schemes are so dangerous, they make promises that cannot possibly be kept, and when schemes collapse, there is a huge transfer of wealth from the young to the old.

Note, they also change WHO is IN the FTSE every 3 months or so.

What would have happened if you were invested in the FTSE and reinvested the Dividends?

Very quick, so not certain, but with Divs included you'd be about 50% up (~4.5% a year)

That's OK, I've spoken to my independent financial advisor and he says that what he does is buy low and sell high, so my money's safe as houses.

100% guaranteed.

For the past 10 years, the trick has been not to be the one invested in the pension fund, but the one running the pension fund.

1-2% per year is very easy money for those ever so insightful fund managers.

its raped pensions etc.

its amazing to see

No because dividends are not included in the ftse100

its raped pensions etc.

its amazing to see

I put 5K into a FTSE tracker in 2001. It is now worth 7.3K or thereabouts. Not spectacular I'll admit but hey. Shares pay 'dividends'. Look it up!

For the past 10 years, the trick has been not to be the one invested in the pension fund, but the one running the pension fund.

1-2% per year is very easy money for those ever so insightful fund managers.

Yep the pension managers have had an excellent rate of return, especially as it's not performance related.

its raped pensions etc.

its amazing to see

This can't be right- the nice man who tried to sell me an endowment mortgage showed me this great graph that just went up and up. :lol:

This can't be right- the nice man who tried to sell me an endowment mortgage showed me this great graph that just went up and up. :lol:

Those "nice men" had better learn to do something else soon. :huh:

its raped pensions etc.

its amazing to see

Yes, but does that include dividends?

But whatever, you won't hear this widely reported.