House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
large

I Actually Made A Difference!

Yesterday I sent an email to the editor of my local rag 'The Evening Argus' complaining that they hadn't reported the Hometrack 2% drop in prices in Brighton. Today the following article appears:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/the_argus/news/NEWS9.html

Ok, so its a Saturday and not so many people buy the paper and it's buried in the middle section and its got the usual estate agent spin, BUT it's there, and people will read it, and anyone thinking of buying will think twice if they read this article first. Even the EAs are admitting that prices are falling and that there is an oversupply of property, but they are of course predicting an upturn with one agent saying that August was his busiest month.

I was just going to paste those quotes in:

"He said: "Brighton has suffered because we get a lot of Londoners moving here who have struggled to sell.

"Now we are finding first-time buyers are coming back. We've had the busiest August on record. We are feeling much more positive."

Paul Probert, sales negotiator for Massey Property Services, which has five offices in Brighton and Hove, said: "There are more properties than good buyers at the moment.

"Anyone looking to sell needs to be in line with the competition.

"It is still a busy market but stuff is going for a bit less than six months or a year ago.

"If people are reasonable about what they want, it is a very good time to buy."

Busiest August on record. Is that because all the Londoners were piling in to offload their properties???

I sense a collapse here in brighton.

Write to the letters page. It'll get published more often than not and people believe the letters they read there. This was all shown on the prog that showed how devious and decietful labour was getting re-elected manipulating newspapers letters pages was one of their tricks.

A good spread of people across the UK that are on this forum would be able to get letters published in nearly every local paper going and cause great awareness.

Most have email in letters.

Hints:

Respond to existing letters - they love this. :)

A minor point, but the journalist describes the estate agents response as 'spin'. Imagine if every newspaper described every reponse from VI's as 'spin. '

Well Done!

Surely everyone on this board should be constantly pestering the media to present the opposite case to the usual VI spin.

I love the EA bull in that article. 'we've just had the busiest August ever'.

They just done seem to be able to stop themselves. I have dealings with EAs. During August several said to me they might as well shut up shop due to the quiet market and the normal holiday lull. But not the chap in Brighton.

I love the EA bull in that article. 'we've just had the busiest August ever'.

They just done seem to be able to stop themselves.

There are probably many EAs out there who are genuinely trying to get realism from the vendors. Best of luck to them.

The remaining EAs are a bunch of treacherous liars and I hope they sink without trace.

This article really shows that most EAs are now bears and will drive the prices down to get sales. they don't give a damn what the % rise or fall is, they just need to make sales now or they go bust, period. If that means driving the market down, then they'll do it.

I just went for a stroll along Hove high street and every single newsagent had a board outside it with the headline "City house prices falling." It couldn't be better, and all because of one email. You can just imagine a young couple walking to the estate agent to look for a flat, they see that board and turn around.

My faith in democracy is restored!

Well done Large for getting behind our local rag, perhaps Property News might one day come up with some bearish news.

And Sarah, the Tories have been doing this since I was a baby. Haven’t you heard the opening statements “I’ve been Labour all my life, but…”