House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Yummy Mummies Get Free Uni Education

Jeff Randall just had a Tory MP on his show - I think it was the education secretary - who admitted that they think that 30% of uni fees/loans will never be repaid.

After the interview Randall was talking to Bolton who pointed out that women from well to do backgrounds, Yummy Mummies, who have no intention of working and who get married, become housewives and mothers will effectively get a free uni education.

I had never thought of it in this way. So some of the people who can perhaps best afford uni fees may well have a good loop-hole not to ever repay their loans.

This made me stop and think whether we are going to see, in the coming decades, a trend towards women wishing to stay out of the work-place?

Educate the mother you educate the whole family, a child's best indication of it's future success is the educational level achieved by it's mum.

Yes also, kids grow up, families can split up.....you never know when education can come in useful. ;)

After the interview Randall was talking to Bolton who pointed out that women from well to do backgrounds, Yummy Mummies, who have no intention of working and who get married, become housewives and mothers will effectively get a free uni education.

And furthermore, the debt will act as a disincentive for them to get a job once the children have grown up (though IllegallyBlonde's point about well-educated parents increasing the chances of their children growing up to be economically productive is well taken).

Interesting, my wife is one of these - never earned enough to pay back the loan, has been a full-time mum retraining with the OU in psychology while volunteering for the last four years.

She regarded her first degree as a time for growing up etc., got a 2:2 and didn't get much of an education. This time is far more focussed and getting a lot more out of it.

Maybe people should do degrees after they've worked for a bit and can see the point/value rather than when they're too young to appreciate it? Just a thought.

Jeff Randall just had a Tory MP on his show - I think it was the education secretary - who admitted that they think that 30% of uni fees/loans will never be repaid.

I had never thought of it in this way. So some of the people who can perhaps best afford uni fees may well have a good loop-hole not to ever repay their loans.

This made me stop and think whether we are going to see, in the coming decades, a trend towards women wishing to stay out of the work-place?

I started a thread on that very subject a couple of weeks ago.

My link

Yes, if you want a 3 year doss and are not particularly bothered about earning money afterwards, Uni is now free.

If you are going on to a city job (or protected career job such as law) then you'll pay the loan off pretty quickly. Of course, those from well off backgrounds won't have the loans in the first place, and will hence have an even bigger advantage, especially if unpaid internships become mandatory.

If, however, you are going down the engineering/science route, then chances are you'll never pay the loan off, but you'll be paying the interest until it is written off.

So, those at the top and bottom don't notice, those in the middle get stomped. Shocker.

So no one thinks men might do the same then? Marry a high achieving woman and never work and just look after the kids?

I could go for that.

Do you know one who might be interested?

Serious question :-

What if an already-married woman wants to do a degree?

Can she get loans independent of her husband?

Does he have to pay them back?

How does it work?

Interesting, my wife is one of these - never earned enough to pay back the loan, has been a full-time mum retraining with the OU in psychology while volunteering for the last four years.

She regarded her first degree as a time for growing up etc., got a 2:2 and didn't get much of an education. This time is far more focussed and getting a lot more out of it.

Maybe people should do degrees after they've worked for a bit and can see the point/value rather than when they're too young to appreciate it? Just a thought.

Did she get reduced rate for those OU courses? Being a mum etc. Would a single mum get free OU courses? Up to say degree level?

edit: didn't see swissy's quezzy which is similar to mine.

Serious question :-

What if an already-married woman wants to do a degree?

Can she get loans independent of her husband?

Does he have to pay them back?

How does it work?

If it works as it did when I did my alma mater (1998-2002) then she should be eligible to receive funding through the local education authority for a set number of years (it was the first 4 years) assuming that this would be her first degree. I think the married status should be irrelevant, except for any means-testing based on family/household income.

I'm sure someone else has more knowledge on the subject than I.

Did she get reduced rate for those OU courses? Being a mum etc. Would a single mum get free OU courses? Up to say degree level?

edit: didn't see swissy's quezzy which is similar to mine.

No, we're not on benefit or tax credits of any kind. It's incredible value for money - or was until they doubled the fees. The ou is really something to be proud of. I don't mind paying.