House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Business Banking

They really seem to be enjoying turning the screws on businesses. Existing ones anyway are getting less and less interest and more and more charges.

Am looking to change from BOS (I know I have said this before) as now credit cards statements aren't online. I wouldn't mind but it's called an internet banking service.

All the taxpayer banks seem to be charging giddy amounts for paying in money...

If you run a business what bank do you use....

MODS: Give this half an hour on the main thing before shoving it off please.

They really seem to be enjoying turning the screws on businesses. Existing ones anyway are getting less and less interest and more and more charges.

Am looking to change from BOS (I know I have said this before) as now credit cards statements aren't online. I wouldn't mind but it's called an internet banking service.

Cater Allen were decent but they've been bought by santander so service might now be of a 'monopolist' quality like the rest. I haven't used them for a couple of years.

<Edit to add: IIRC deposit rates went to 0% a week or so after Santander bought it so yes, I would expect the rest to have gone down the drain too.>

Edited by _w_

I assumed the lack of credit card statements was just teething troubles. Are they saying that this is just not going to happen now?

Took me an age to get the thing set up, so I'll be apoplectic if they've discontinued it.

I assumed the lack of credit card statements was just teething troubles. Are they saying that this is just not going to happen now?

Took me an age to get the thing set up, so I'll be apoplectic if they've discontinued it.

Ring up and ask whether it will actually happen.

I got the "we'll pass on your suggestion" with no indication it was on its way,

And the "you can ring up the credit card people" ...

Which would be a frustrating half hour of me typing in numbers into an excel sheet whilst holding the phone.

Edited by SarahBell

If your turnover is less than 1M you should be able to get free banking:

Co Op do free banking for FSB customers (or they did)

Abbey had a free acount and there are probably others.

If your turnover is over 1M then you can negotiate but the banks think you 'need' a closer relationship so they charge. The post office has always been the cheapest way of paying in cash and cheques though and they can forward the money automatically to your other bank if needed.

Anyone know of any free banking over 1M?

I changed to Santander. I only need plain vanilla business banking, their on-line facility is perfectly adequate. My average monthly transactions fall within their free banking limits so I haven't incurred any charges in about three years now.

I changed to Santander. I only need plain vanilla business banking, their on-line facility is perfectly adequate. My average monthly transactions fall within their free banking limits so I haven't incurred any charges in about three years now.

Someone else I know has said Santander too.

Santander are covered by the 85k limit FSA limit though?

The co-op is only free if you are a member of the FSB which looks like a waste of time (Unless someone can give me a reason to join it)

The co-op is only free if you are a member of the FSB which looks like a waste of time (Unless someone can give me a reason to join it)

Santander are a nightmare for customer service.

HSBC are free under a certain limit, their systems work - have been fine for me. And the credit card statement is available online.

Santander are a nightmare for customer service.

HSBC are free under a certain limit, their systems work - have been fine for me. And the credit card statement is available online.

Customer service?

You can do everything online it says - do you mean that doesn't work or if you want to talk to a human?

I did look at using Cater Allen, but they charge if you don't maintain a hefty cash deposit, thats no good to me. I eventually went with HSBC, mainly because at the level of transactions I anticipate it'll always be free.

+ 1. I've made a formal complaint about credit card statements not being online anymore as it seriously impacts on end of month reconciliations. Also, they've changed the date they account for monthly fees to 10th of every month, rather than end of month. What WAS the point of that??? Apparently no-one knows apart from the goons at the top making these random and stoopid decisions.

Let me know if you find a suitable alternative to these nonces.

+ 1. I've made a formal complaint about credit card statements not being online anymore as it seriously impacts on end of month reconciliations. Also, they've changed the date they account for monthly fees to 10th of every month, rather than end of month. What WAS the point of that??? Apparently no-one knows apart from the goons at the top making these random and stoopid decisions.

Let me know if you find a suitable alternative to these nonces.

I have just signed up to Santander. Free to use as long as I don't suddenly start getting over a gazillion cheques a month to pay in. Which tbh would be nice.

Have had 3 people in my line of work message me about it to say they use it and find it fine.

I was probably a bit hysterically angry on the phone to the poor man who answered. But the idiocy of the changes are breathtaking.

Like you say - end of month getting info out just can't happen as it should.

AND I can get 2% gross on my savings which is more than I'm getting now!

Edited by SarahBell

My blood pressure rockets when I thinh about this. :angry:

Obviously, the act of a bank of taking cash over the counter then an employee taking said cash, walking 10 yards to the ATM and filling up is more complex and costly then we think.

My blood pressure rockets when I thinh about this. :angry:

Obviously, the act of a bank of taking cash over the counter then an employee taking said cash, walking 10 yards to the ATM and filling up is more complex and costly then we think.

We're talking epayments here (as well as posting cheques in)

But the idea you'll get charged anywhere from 30-55p for a payment going directly into the bank is just shocking.

Cash being paid in takes time to count so I would almost understand about a charge for that.

Several have monthly charges which give you so many free transactions (I think Lloyds was £5 for 6!)

If your turnover is less than 1M you should be able to get free banking:

Co Op do free banking for FSB customers (or they did)

Abbey had a free acount and there are probably others.

If your turnover is over 1M then you can negotiate but the banks think you 'need' a closer relationship so they charge. The post office has always been the cheapest way of paying in cash and cheques though and they can forward the money automatically to your other bank if needed.

Anyone know of any free banking over 1M?

gisajob :)

I'm with FSB and seriously considered not renewing this year however I would have lost my free banking with Co-op plus they pay me a £25 bonus each year. I priced up other business banking and it worked out worthwhile to stay with my FSB membership as it was still cheaper p.a. I also get a better rate for processing card payments online plus there is legal advice if you ever need it and I'll get paid if I get called up for jury service.

I've found Co-op pretty good. You can always get hold of someone if you need something.

Existing ones anyway are getting less and less interest and more and more charges.

Charges are very frustrating, but you should be able to get free banking.

Moving banks is the key to getting better deals.

As for interest, you should be making better use than this of your money. If it really matters you are not making efficient use of it.

One of the reasons for reducing rates is to force people sitting of cash to make better use of it.

Charges are very frustrating, but you should be able to get free banking.

Moving banks is the key to getting better deals.

As for interest, you should be making better use than this of your money. If it really matters you are not making efficient use of it.

One of the reasons for reducing rates is to force people sitting of cash to make better use of it.

maybe thats it. I don't know what to do with it.