House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Psyllium Husks

Long shot I know - anyone have any experience of eating Psyllium Husks for fibre?

I am on a wheat/gluten free diet which means I have lost my main source of insoluble fibre.

I am fine with the amount of soluble fibre that I am eating but now lack the insoluble kind - bread/wheat products tend to make up most of this in the average diet - and it is causing me some issues.

Yes, got them from myprotein for when I do keto, very effective. I have a teaspoon in a yogurt (unmixed, on top otherwise ruins consistency) or stick them in a protein shake.

Yes, got them from myprotein for when I do keto, very effective. I have a teaspoon in a yogurt (unmixed, on top otherwise ruins consistency) or stick them in a protein shake.

Thanks - I know people use them as a dietary aid but I am seeking them more for the bulk. Apparently they absorb water in the gut.

I have a vague memory that they were required in the Atkins diet to stop constipation in the initial stages

Thanks - seems to be alot written about them online being used for dieting and/or relieving constipation.

Mix prune juice with apple juice. You wont have any issue with constipation.

I use them regularly and have done for several years. Gluten free diet was the start of my use too.

I take two twice a day with about a pint of water each time. About 3 days a week, not every day. Not a quick fix but very useful for maintenance.

On the days when I don't take them I eat raspberries and peas as both are good sources of soluble fiber.

Take flax seed daily.

Works well

Good luck with the gluten free diet, it can be quite hard work.

Mix prune juice with apple juice. You wont have any issue with constipation.

Constipation is not the issue.

When you go on a gluten free diet you give up all wheat. This means you lack insoluble fibre in your body.

Wheat is one of the few things in our diet providing insoluble fibre which, in turns, firms up stools, creates the movement of the gut and stops things like piles developing.

You don't have the runs but you have very soft stools. Sorry, I was hoping not to go into this detail.

I use them regularly and have done for several years. Gluten free diet was the start of my use too.

I take two twice a day with about a pint of water each time. About 3 days a week, not every day. Not a quick fix but very useful for maintenance.

On the days when I don't take them I eat raspberries and peas as both are good sources of soluble fiber.

Take flax seed daily.

Works well

Good luck with the gluten free diet, it can be quite hard work.

Thanks - that is very helpful info.

Holland & Barrett sell a bottle of them for about £11 but each tablet is 500mg of fibre apparently which is abot 420mg more than the daily recommended amount of fibre. I have read that you need to drink loads of water with them.

Interesting info about you taking them only 3 days a week.

I have been on the gluten free now for a good year. Yes, it is very hard. I have tried different types of fibre supplements, mainly the stuff you get from Boots and add to drinks. Worked off a sort but not really ideal by a long shot.

Constipation is not the issue.

When you go on a gluten free diet you give up all wheat. This means you lack insoluble fibre in your body.

Wheat is one of the few things in our diet providing insoluble fibre which, in turns, firms up stools, creates the movement of the gut and stops things like piles developing.

You don't have the runs but you have very soft stools. Sorry, I was hoping not to go into this detail.

Ah I see. Details are not a problem I think most on this site are pretty thick skinned !!

Wiki seems to think that these husks are the soluble type ?

Can you not get enough from the foodstuffs listed ?

Wiki

Long shot I know - anyone have any experience of eating Psyllium Husks for fibre?

I am on a wheat/gluten free diet which means I have lost my main source of insoluble fibre.

I am fine with the amount of soluble fibre that I am eating but now lack the insoluble kind - bread/wheat products tend to make up most of this in the average diet - and it is causing me some issues.

Can't you eat oat bran? I do and I'm wheat intolerant. Cornflakes help me when I get cravings for wheat.

Can't you eat oat bran? I do and I'm wheat intolerant. Cornflakes help me when I get cravings for wheat.

Oat bran is a grey area. Some people suffer inflammation eating it, others don't. I tend to shy away from it but, rarely, will eat one of those oat bars. Also, oat products are often made side by side with wheat gluten products and are thus contaminated.

I eat lots of brussels sprouts, carrots, green beans, peas, loads of skin on fruits - even began eating kiwi fruit with skins on recently but, for some reason, I have stopped the prunes which I did find excellent. So off to Tesco in the morning as they appear to have a good deal on prunes.

Juices provide you with the soluble fibre from the fruit and veg but often not the insoluble fibre which is often in the skin/pulp that is left out of juice.

Avocados really don't have enough insoluble fibre in them to justify the price versus fibre bang for buck. Dates are the same but very expensive for the amount of fibre you get.

The mixture of Vit D3 and giving up wheat has improved my asthma incredibly - also, a type of 'brain fog' has disappeared from my mind, something that people who give up gluten often say happens. But, boy, I miss sarnies, things on toast and crusty rolls... but the health benefits over-weight them.

I eat lots of brussels sprouts, carrots, green beans, peas, loads of skin on fruits - even began eating kiwi fruit with skins on recently but, for some reason,

Plenty of olive oil or butter on those :)

oat bran is soluble though ? He's looking for insoluble roughage which you should probably get from eating vegetables?

There was an article recently I saw that said the whole fibre stuff is just nonsense and that your body copes ok without it.

I tried the tablet form Psyllium Husks but they didn't do much for me, although I suspect I didn't eat them in the quantity that was required (something like 3x3 times daily and they were the size of bullets).

What about Flax Seeds, I have been eating those and they seemed to be a better fit for me.

I tried the tablet form Psyllium Husks but they didn't do much for me, although I suspect I didn't eat them in the quantity that was required (something like 3x3 times daily and they were the size of bullets).

What about Flax Seeds, I have been eating those and they seemed to be a better fit for me.

Do you add them to porridge or soak in water overnight and drink the gunge?

Picked up some good stoned prunes today from Tesco - special offer £1.64, down from £1.84, for a 500G bag of Californian ones... which is half the price of most other places.

They are in the baking section and not in the fruit section where, for £1.84, they have a tiny bag of about 5 prunes to catch the unwary prune shopper.

It is a bit of a hassle have a house full of stoned prunes though. They keep mentioning the munchies and wanting to hug me! :unsure:

Do you add them to porridge or soak in water overnight and drink the gunge?

I just eat them with a spoon, I tend to eat very basically so adding them to other foods is a bit of a problem for me.

I eat them in milled form, from Holland and Barrett, I wash them down with a bit of water, if I ate porridge then yes I imagine I would stick them in that.

I had been considering trying a gluten-free diet, considering the transformation it has wrought on Novak Djokovic (if you don't know, he's probably the fittest tennis player that has ever played right now).

You guys have put me off though, it sounds awful.

I had been considering trying a gluten-free diet, considering the transformation it has wrought on Novak Djokovic (if you don't know, he's probably the fittest tennis player that has ever played right now).

You guys have put me off though, it sounds awful.

Didn't he have trouble with asthma/anxiety type symptoms associated with gluten.

It is tough but it can transform your life. Think of it as the paleo hunter-gather gatherer diet. Have a read of these sites:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

http://www.trackyourplaque.com/blog/

When you read up on gluten/wheat and how bad it is for you - it is known as mutant dwarf wheat - you will reconsider how much you eat of it.

Read up on gluten, leaky gut and lectins and what they do re inflammation in the body and how they invade the organs. Basically, they have mutated wheat to be full of lectins that our bodies just have not evolved to digest.