House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest pioneer31

How Much To Live On?

Guest pioneer31

I have landed a job in another part of the country and so am about to be renting soon. I have done an estimate budget for rent, food, bills, etc and it looks like I'll survive even if I won't save much. Everyone i speak to says I'm going to be eating beans on toast every night because they've rented and they had no spare cash. My salary will be £17k and I plan to get somewhere for circa £350 pcm.

Has anyone else survived on this salary?

Edited by pioneer31

I have landed a job in another part of the country and so am about to be renting soon. I have done an estimate budget for rent, food, bills, etc and it looks like I'll survive even if I won't save much. Everyone i speak to says I'm going to be eating beans on toast every night because they've rented and they had no spare cash. My salary will be £17k and I plan to get somewhere for circa £350 pcm.

Depends on how much you go out. I earn a bit more and rent for a bit less and save a lot - but then I live very frugally. Try renting somewhere that includes any of water rates, council tax etc; there are some out there and this will free up more cash.

I earn 14k per annum and I'm renting for £360 pm. It is quite tight, but i'm surviving. Council tax, insurance, electricity, tv license, broadband, water really eat up the cash.

17k is plenty if you rent a room in a shared house with bills included.

If you have to pay council tax and bills you will be under more pressure.

For example, I rent a 2 bed house for 500 a month, which is no problem.

However, council tax and bills are approaching 200 a month, especially with the recent hikes in gas and electricity prices.

You'll be OK on £17K and should be able to afford anything up to £425, but :

1) Don't eat takeaways

2) Take butties to work

3) Only go out once/twice a month

I was really worried about getting my own place (renting) due to the expense but it's great.

Buy a freezer - most definately worth it, food is too expensive to throw away. When i was sharing a place I found I was eating say half a loaf of bread and chucking the rest because it had gone off

Guest pioneer31

TroubleatMill and mhifoe > Do either of you save any appreciable amount per month?

I only need a 1 bedroom place although I would prefer to share due to the bills you mention. As for food, I already take butties to work now (I always have done). I'm rather careful with money overall, however I realise that I'm going to be hit with costs that I've never had before, hence the questions. At the moment I'm at home so saving is easy but my current job is only paying £14.5k.

First, can I just say how refreshing it is to hear people talking about wages at the lower end of the spectrum on this site.

I'm always baffled by the many posters who obviously spend every waking moment on the forum, while claiming to be earning 40, 50, 60, 120k. . . . I wish I had a job that paid so much while leaving my days (and nights) free to mess about on HPC. (Having said that I'm posting at work now, but it's rare I have the time.)

All the advice here is dead right - if it's about saving money for you get an all-inclusive room in a shared house. Being able to pay one bill a month and then forgetting about everything else makes such a big difference.

As has been mentioned, the biggest danger is going out too much and spending loads of cash on beer, meals and taxis. That's why I'd recommend spending a little bit more to get a place you enjoy hanging about in. If you live in a total dump you'll be down the pub every night just to escape.

Personally, I'm paid the same as you (£17k as fully-qualified senior journalist on a daily paper, with a good degree) and am shelling out about £240pm. I'm managing to save quite nicely on that, with the help of a subsidised works canteen and a tolerance for awful wine.

Do I save much ? I save £150 in an tracker ISA and put £115 into the company share scheme. The rest of my money got spent on going out, takeaways, internet poker (not much but it all adds up), meals at work, buying loads of food (and chucking it away) & cigarettes - the rest of it I used to waste.

This was when I shared a place (rented a room of a guy at work) but he really got on my nerves after a bit sometimes he would slam the doors and belch as loudly as he could (presumably to annoy me ?) but then 5 mins later walk into the front room and be as nice as pie. Weird.

Now I have my own place and my wages have to last. The last thing I want to do is run ANY debt on my credit card so I'm being more frugal, but I'm not able to save as much as I theoretically could when sharing, but when I was sharing I used to blow most of my money anyway (see above)

The bottom line is yes, it IS cheaper to share than rent, but if you share with the wrong people, it COULD become more expensive (as you'll end up down the pub everynight to get away from the to$$ers you share with) on the other hand they may end up being your best mates ?

Bert, does the 360 just cover the rent alone?

Yeh.. just the rent =(

Would like to go into shared accomodation, but at the moment I'm too scared still to take the plunge. As the last poster said, you can end up with complete tossers.. or they could be your best mates.. Maybe I should take the plunge.