House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dom

Spiders And Drowsey Wasps

Is your place filling up with these uninvited guests too? :(

Brown house spiders - about 6 new ones each morning; snoozing on the curtains, usually.

Gather it's down to the odd weather this year - warm April, cool summer.

October, tis the season for the beasts to seek warmer areas. I'm expecting an influx laster in the week / month when the cold snap hits.

As for now, by car seems to attract them. Webs on wheels to the ground (never seen that before) and of course obligatory webs on the wing mirrors.

I'd love to know why cars?

October, tis the season for the beasts to seek warmer areas. I'm expecting an influx laster in the week / month when the cold snap hits.

As for now, by car seems to attract them. Webs on wheels to the ground (never seen that before) and of course obligatory webs on the wing mirrors.

I'd love to know why cars?

Water. Condensation forms due to them being warm and then cooling down.

Same as sinks and baths. I imagine spiders can 'smell' water or sense it or something. I used to have a room in the attic. Used to get loads of these huge ones randomly running across my floor. I put a little dish with water on it just inside the door - never saw them again. ;)

Last night I had to remove one from my son's room.

Just picked it up and threw it out. Oh you should have heard him and my OH making a fuss.

:)

The whole fear of spiders thing is very strange. You learn it at an ealry age when you see your parents screaming when they see one. You just continue that on. In countries with poisonous spiders this makes sense. In hte UK it is mental !!

Interesting when you see a toddler when a spider walks past. They are usually fascinated by them and try to touch them or pick them up. Shame that parents drive this out of them and give them a phobia that is completly pointless. It is akin to child abuse IMO - if you think about it.

I've had drowsy wasps all summer long - must have removed hundreds that have died upstairs.

Three times I've left an energy saving bulb on all night - the kind with four prongs and a hollow in the middle - next morning the hollow was filled with dead wasps. Strangely, each time there were 15 of them.

Was expecting them to be gone by now, but they keep coming back.

The whole fear of spiders thing is very strange. You learn it at an ealry age when you see your parents screaming when they see one. You just continue that on. In countries with poisonous spiders this makes sense. In hte UK it is mental !!

Interesting when you see a toddler when a spider walks past. They are usually fascinated by them and try to touch them or pick them up. Shame that parents drive this out of them and give them a phobia that is completly pointless. It is akin to child abuse IMO - if you think about it.

Exactly, we are always positive around spiders with toddler Miyagi, as a result he loves them.

My mother had a real spider phobia, absolutely terrified of them, and to a degree that has rubbed off on me. I was determined that my daughter would not suffer from the same thing and suceeded to the point that she would collect huge spiders and let them run up one arm , over her head and down the other arm. One day, my mother was horrified to see her picking up a medium sized spider and screamed "put it down, they bite". Since then, my daughter has been terrified of all spiders :(.

It is a shame. Junior Miyagi is the role model !!

I am gradually doing the same to myself. Graduated to be able to pick up fairly sizeable ones no hassle. Not up to the monster stage yet though. I find doing it with no clothes on (Apart from pants) makes it easier. Maybe the thought of it sneaking down your collar or something is part of it ?

I am gradually doing the same to myself.... Not up to the monster stage yet though. I find doing it with no clothes on (Apart from pants) makes it easier.

Have you tried a local support group?

I am not sure there is one. There may be an opportunity here. :)

Not too bothered about spiders, although rather worryingly in the past I would simply pick one up whereas now I'd be more inclined to use a piece of paper (admittedly that's easier). I've never been bitten by one. I wouldn't get at all worked up if one fell on me. Not sure if it's the upbringing thing. My mum isn't at all scared of them but my sister is.

I can't stand wasps, and really hate it if one lands on my face and starts crawling around. I start thinking about what would happen if it crawled up a nostril or into an ear.

Yes, not to mention armies of brainless daddy long-legs getting into everything.

Ah yes, the crane fly. A very disappointing insect.

I don't kill spiders, they're harmless and I feel sorry for them!

Wasps can sod off though, was working in a loft the other morning while they were still drowsy and stamped on loads of them.

I don't kill spiders, they're harmless and I feel sorry for them!

Wasps can sod off though, was working in a loft the other morning while they were still drowsy and stamped on loads of them.

One was hiding in the washing when I took it off the line, bugger stung me in the thumb.

....bloody hell, massive house spider just ran up my arm while I'm lying on the sofa typing this in the dark. :blink:

Last winter I discovered the PC in the lectern in one of the lecture theatres at work to be dead. I called the helpdesk, who sent a 20-something female technician over. She unlocked the back of the lectern cabinet, looked at the back of the equipment rack for a couple of moments and then screamed like crazy (this got the students' attention). There was a strip of kettle lead-type connectors into which all the kit in the rack was plugged, with a single mains lead going out of the other end to the power supply. Attached to the wire was the remains of a rat, with blackening around its jaw where it had bit into the wire. Presumably it had climbed in through the hole in the floor, through which the wiring from the lectern went. Needless to say, the students were spared my Powerpoint slides for that morning's lecture!

Yes, not to mention armies of brainless daddy long-legs getting into everything.

I have a Venus Fly Trap which has an extraordinary appetite for daddy long legs.

Conkers - works every time!

I find the best ones are when you peel them out of their skins from the tree, but once they get too dry they become less effective.

Conkers - works every time!

I find the best ones are when you peel them out of their skins from the tree, but once they get too dry they become less effective.

Do the spiders gravitate towards the conkers then?

Do the spiders gravitate towards the conkers then?

It's the horse chestnut oil that keeps them away.

You can buy it neat if you don't fancy having conkers in the house.