House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
or in excess of

David Cameron

Was watching the Sky news papers review yesterday morning, and the reviewer did an article about George Osborne`s involvement in the club`s infamous antics. He then said "of course, David Cameron was in the club, but we are no longer allowed to show that photo. Democracy anyone?

I'm getting sick and tired of the constant Bullingdon Club Cameron-bashing. With the exception of one or two Daily Wail articles, the Tories and their media allies were not constantly attacking Brown for his involvement with Marxist groups when he was at university in Edinburgh, or many other Labour MPs who did similar things. Criticise Cameron on his record as an elected politician (including the direct relevance to that role of his career before then) by all means, but unless we're talking about significant criminal activity, what he did as a student is irrelevant.

Edited by The Ayatollah Buggeri

I'm getting sick and tired of the constant Bullingdon Club Cameron-bashing. With the exception of one or two Daily Wail articles, the Tories and their media allies were not constantly attacking Brown for his involvement with Marxist groups when he was at university in Edinburgh, or many other Labour MPs who did similar things. Criticise Cameron on his record as an elected politician (including the direct relevance to that role of his career before then) by all means, but unless we're talking about significant criminal activity, what he did as a student is irrelevant.

I didn't think Marxist societies at Uni had smashing up private property as their raison d'etre.

I'm getting sick and tired of the constant Bullingdon Club Cameron-bashing. With the exception of one or two Daily Wail articles, the Tories and their media allies were not constantly attacking Brown for his involvement with Marxist groups when he was at university in Edinburgh, or many other Labour MPs who did similar things.

The difference is that Brown was no longer a Marxist, but Cameron is still a toff.

Dunno about that. Google gives "About 194,000" results for "David Cameron" Bullingdon but "About 4,140,000" results for "Gordon Brown" Marxist. Haven't checked all the links to see how relevant they are though...

Edit. Admittedly, you get 4,580,000 hits for "David Cameron" Marxist and 115,000 for "Gordon Brown" Bullingdon. Oh well.

Edited by Scunnered

Question: what are the other people in that photo doing with their lives right now?

It tells you here: http://iconicphotos.wordpress.com/2010/03/14/the-bullingdon-club/

Apparently the people featured in the Cameron photo are

(1) the Hon. Edward Sebastian Grigg, the heir to Baron Altrincham of Tormarton and current chairman of Credit Suisse (UK)

(2) David Cameron

(3) Ralph Perry Robinson, a former child actor, designer, furniture-maker

(4) Ewen Fergusson, son of the British ambassador to France, Sir Ewen Fergusson and now at City law firm Herbert Smith

(5) Matthew Benson, the heir to the Earldom of Wemyss and March

(6) Sebastian James, the son of Lord Northbourne, a major landowner in Kent

(7) Jonathan Ford, the-then president of the club, a banker with Morgan Grenfell

(8) Boris Johnson, the-then president of the Oxford Union, now Lord Mayor of London

9) Harry Eastwood, the investment fund consultant

So mostly bankers, landowners and politicians.

The difference is that Brown was no longer a Marxist, but Cameron is still a toff.

I could live with a "toff" as PM if they were any good.

In fact I could live with a Marxist PM for the same reason.

I'd vote for Davros as PM if he kept to his election promises (a Dalek in every house most likely).