House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
slurms mackenzie

£100 Checking Out Fee For A Property

There people seemed to act very differently to other letting agents, not only was a required to stump up £850 deposit before they did the credit checks (meaning i'd have lost that if i'd have failed), once i got to signing the contract, there in the small print was information about a checking out fee of £100.

Nobody from the agency ever mentioned this to me in writing or verbally.

Surely it's illegal not to mention this up front.

There people seemed to act very differently to other letting agents, not only was a required to stump up £850 deposit before they did the credit checks (meaning i'd have lost that if i'd have failed), once i got to signing the contract, there in the small print was information about a checking out fee of £100.

Nobody from the agency ever mentioned this to me in writing or verbally.

Surely it's illegal not to mention this up front.

it was in writing, in the contract.

For future reference if a deposit is taken and then the tenency does not proceed because the agents/LL are unwilling then the deposit must be returned. OFT has ruled on this in '06ish

My argument is, at that point before signing the contract when i noticed this charge, if i'd have pulled the plug it would have cost me £850.

I work for a mortgage lender and we have to make people aware of charges well in advance of them signing anything.

What's to stop them from putting in a £1000 checking out fee and not telling people about it.

My argument is, at that point before signing the contract when i noticed this charge, if i'd have pulled the plug it would have cost me £850.

I work for a mortgage lender and we have to make people aware of charges well in advance of them signing anything.

What's to stop them from putting in a £1000 checking out fee and not telling people about it.

You could have said you were not signing the contract unless the clause was removed but were otherwise willing to proceed. The ball is then with them to either removed the clause or decline the tenency and you are entitled to your deposit back.

Although I'd have been severely pissed to find out about a charge at that point also.

Edited by zebbedee

Geez...

I'm genuinely shocked to hear these sorts of stories.

when I was renting (mid 80s through to early 90s) there were laws introduced to stop tenants being charged a penny up front by agents because it was (and always will be) so open to abuse. What ******wit politicians repealled those laws and when?

Thanks for the responses chaps.

I'd no idea i could have walked away from it at that point, being quite pig headed i would have cut of my nose to spite my face.

As it is, i think i shall try badgering the OFT, I'm just very narked about the whole principle of it, and the modus operandi of these people.