House Price Crash Forum

Council Tax Overlap

slurms mackenzie

HOLA441

Simple story, i moved between two rental properties and there was an overlap (in the contracts) of 10 days.

Once i could move into my new place i slept there every night.

Manchester city council want to charge me 10 days worth of council tax on the other property with a 50% empty discount even though i wasn't technically living there.

Can they do that?

HOLA442

This is how council tax works. The person "responsible" for the property must pay the council tax for as long as they are responsible for the property (whether they are actively living there or not). A tenancy agreement makes the tenant responsible for the property as their home. Once the tenancy expires, the landlord can take over the council tax.

Just thank yourself lucky that you get a 50% discount, for not living there. Most councils now only give a 10% discount for not living there. So, if like me, you rented a place on your own, and got a 25% discount - for the tail end of the tenancy, when the property was empty, you actually have to pay more council tax than when you were actually living there.

HOLA443

Damn!

Cheers for the reply I'd read a bit about it, and so was really just waiting for some real world experience, as a lot of the info out there is all theoretical, for example if there was no furniture i think i could have got away without paying anything, but as there was still a bed and a sofa, I'd have to pay.

It's only fifteen pounds, so not so bad :D

HOLA444

I had an overlap too and the council tax clerk told me that i just have to declare the unslept-in property vacant. Call and explain that you had vacated the property in question and tell them where you were living for those days.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Simple story, i moved between two rental properties and there was an overlap (in the contracts) of 10 days.

Once i could move into my new place i slept there every night.

Manchester city council want to charge me 10 days worth of council tax on the other property with a 50% empty discount even though i wasn't technically living there.

Can they do that?

Yes

HOLA448

In our local authority you are exempt council tax for up to 6 months on a second (or vacated first) property. I believe it has to be empty, but then if you've moved it will be.

You should get your money back. And they can easily join up the dots to your new address.

Edited by redwing

HOLA449
HOLA4410

As redwing says, you can get an exemption for the time it is unoccupied up to a max of 6 months, the link doesn't explain it clearly but phone up the council tell them it was unoccupied and that you were living at x and want an exemption http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_money/tax_index_ew/council_tax.htm

You can only get this exemption if the property is unfurnished (if a bed frame is present, then the property is regarded as furnished). Some councils, depending on how short of cash they are, will insist on a visit to inspect the property before allowing you to claim the "100% discount".

Edited by ChumpusRex