House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kalkal1

How Many Viewing Is Reasonable? Moving Out.

Gave my notice and the property I am in at the moment gone to rightmove. So viewing has started almost immediately and told the agency that I need 24h notice before they can view the house. On Friday I had two viewings, on Saturday - three and three more are booked for Monday. I know that I have to agree to a "reasonable" number of viewings but it will be 8 viewing in three days??

You don't have to agree to any viewings. You have the legal right to quiet enjoyment which they are breaching. Cancel the viewings and tell them there will be no further viewings until they start treating you as a paying customer not a doormat. If you are unwilling to do that at least insist you are there then tell all viewers about those crazy chavs next door etc etc

You don't have to agree to any viewings. You have the legal right to quiet enjoyment which they are breaching. Cancel the viewings and tell them there will be no further viewings until they start treating you as a paying customer not a doormat. If you are unwilling to do that at least insist you are there then tell all viewers about those crazy chavs next door etc etc

Well I believe it is in my own interest to get this property let as fast as possible which will result in no more viewing after this point.

Ah, typo! I meant "that point when they have found a new tenant"

looked at my contract and it says:

During the last two months of the tenancy to permit the Landlord or the Landlords agent to enter and

view the property with prospective tenants or purchasers in the daytime and upon reasonable prior

notice

During the last two months of the tenancy to permit the Landlord or the Landlords agent to enter and

view the property with prospective tenants or purchasers in the daytime and upon reasonable prior

notice

I once rented an unfurnished place and gave my notice. A couple of days later I saw my flat on the internet with all my personal furnishings, etc on display. The agents just let themselves in and took pictures without my permission. Never been so mad in my life. I took my revenge, I can tell you...... :D

notice

And this has no relevence, only you and a judge can say who and when people can enter your home. I can get you to sign a contract that says I can smack you in the face daily but I'll still get done with assault :) .

If you want to allow viewings tell them they can but on certain conditions...

Personally if I were going to allow them I'd be seeking money of rent, but I won't be allowing them.

The whole argument gets into 'mutually convienient' but the get out is its not convienient for you.

As an aside I guess your contract has you giving 2 months notice as well which unless that is your rental period they cannot do and one month was thier lot.

Sorry for the double post. I don't understand yr response:

1. If it is in yr interest to let it out as soon as poss, why r u asking about what is excessive?

2. Out of curiosity why is it in yr interest?

Oh sorry, I get yr meaning now. Apologies for my stupidity. But basically as others have said the contract isn't relevant as it contradicts yr legal rights. Tell them to stop pissing you about

Sorry for the double post. I don't understand yr response:

1. If it is in yr interest to let it out as soon as poss, why r u asking about what is excessive?

2. Out of curiosity why is it in yr interest?

Well initially I thought if I agreed for a number of viewing in the beginning one of the prospective tenants would take the property and there will be no more viewings :)

I once rented an unfurnished place and gave my notice. A couple of days later I saw my flat on the internet with all my personal furnishings, etc on display. The agents just let themselves in and took pictures without my permission. Never been so mad in my life. I took my revenge, I can tell you...... :D

What did you do?

Set whatever rules you are comfortable with. I think it's worth allowing some viewings because if the landlord loses money because you won't allow any and they lose out on continuation of rent they may start pissing about with the deposit to find excuses to recover lost rent, which although is likely a lost cause may add more stress when you are moving.

However, so long as you allow some viewings, the agent/landlord wouldn't have a leg to stand on with regards to enforcing their interpretation of the contract so probably wouldn't bother unless they're really stupid.

Such rules can include (just some examples):

Maximum number of viewings per week.

Maximum number of days on which viewings are allowed per week.

Restrictions on times and days (no Sundays for example) and only when you are present/not present.

We did this sort of thing at our last place and while the agents initially grumbled about this they had no choice but to accept, because as has been stated on this thread, and which we stated to the agents, legislation overrides contract law when it comes to allowing viewings on what is (until you leave) your home.

Precisely zero viewings on my place since it was put on the market back in June, I think it was. And I got a rent reduction for the inconvenience of it all. :)