House Price Crash Forum

Report On The Crash In Republic Of Ireland

HOLA441
HOLA442

Fantastic news!

Hoping to move over there next year, somewhere near Cork (about an hours drive up the M8)

We are after a rural property, would cost us £380k around here. Ireland we are looking at £150 max for an even better property closer to a main city.

Hope you like rain.

HOLA443
HOLA444

BBC News or Sky News - can't recall which - is running an item today about how the Irish economy is now one of the fastest growing in the EU.

Make of that what you will but, in the past 3 months, I have noticed a big upturn in IT jobs in Dublin.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

HOLA445

BBC News or Sky News - can't recall which - is running an item today about how the Irish economy is now one of the fastest growing in the EU.

Make of that what you will but, in the past 3 months, I have noticed a big upturn in IT jobs in Dublin.

Could you be tempted over to take one?

To me (based on the small amounts I have read in the papers though!!), it seems like Ireland are taking the pain and putting themselves in good steed for recovery.

HOLA446

I will be looking to work for a big IT / engineering firm. I have noticed Google and Amazon recruiting in Cork and Dublin.

Thing is the wages, lifestye and housing is better then the UK. It's a no brainer really.

Yes there is rain butr if you spend much time infrom of the computer, Gym and other indoor activities (the pub) does it really matter that much.

HOLA447

But now that prices are falling, also seemingly inexorably, most rational people want nothing to do with the property ladder.

I saw this happening in the UK when the last bubble burst. People were sick to death of property and wouldn't go near it except for a few who just wanted a place to live. AFA investment was concerned, there was zero interest.

HOLA448

I will be looking to work for a big IT / engineering firm. I have noticed Google and Amazon recruiting in Cork and Dublin.

Thing is the wages, lifestye and housing is better then the UK. It's a no brainer really.

Yes there is rain butr if you spend much time infrom of the computer, Gym and other indoor activities (the pub) does it really matter that much.

The climate in Dublin is nice, the rain dries up pretty much just after it stops. It's the west of Ireland that is perpetually damp, the east coast is quite clement.

Edited by Diver Dan

HOLA449

Basically we are looking at two completely different area.

Longford/Co.Roscommon ->Cheap property not possible to commute so I will have to contract unless something turned up.

Cork / Tipperary -> Possible to commute, wet weather, cheap housing. (cottage with 2/3 acres)

Dublin -> Relatively expensive property, lots of work (that pays the same as cork), Drier. Much like the UK.

HOLA4410

Calm before the storm. I still think there's a good chance they'll leave the EU and bail on their debts.

HOLA4411

Calm before the storm. I still think there's a good chance they'll leave the EU and bail on their debts.

I also believe that may happen. It will be good fore Ireland in the long run and hopefully it will not affect trade too much.

HOWEVER Ireland has one thing the UK does not.

A trade surplus so yes it can pay it's debts.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Could you be tempted over to take one?

To me (based on the small amounts I have read in the papers though!!), it seems like Ireland are taking the pain and putting themselves in good steed for recovery.

I have talked to a few firms - one contract I was really interested in but the guy in charge decided I was too experienced even though it was high level role. Think he was a bit apprehensive about his own position.

I like Dublin and the Irish people. Yes, could definitely be tempted there on a contract basis for a few years but, as others have commented, I do wonder whether Ireland is experiencing the calm before the storm?

HOLA4414

Well, a little more research was needed and I found out that the south west of ireland is about the same as Cornwall & Devon.

Based on your chart, it rains more in most of mainland Italy than in Norfolk.

Hmmm... :unsure:

Edited by Deckard

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

It does. And Rome has more rainfall than London.

But the med has different rain patterns: it rains less frequently, but (sometimes) very much heavier than anything in the UK.

I'll vouch for that. Spent a few days there earler this year in the north and it hammered down monsoon-style complete with lightning bolts etc. Not fun with the driver tooling along the autostrada at 80mph whilst checking emails on his blackberry.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418