House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'Bart'

Types Of Exercise Bike

I had an exercise bike a few years ago. It was a decent enough device but used some sort of friction/belt type system. As I live in a flat, I wonder if a magnetic resistance bike would be a major step up. I've heard that these are "whisper quiet".

In terms of noise I'm not so much bothered about being able to hear music etc. but in minimizing the effects on the poor guy below me.

Anyone in the position to compare the two types?

I had an exercise bike a few years ago. It was a decent enough device but used some sort of friction/belt type system. As I live in a flat, I wonder if a magnetic resistance bike would be a major step up. I've heard that these are "whisper quiet".

In terms of noise I'm not so much bothered about being able to hear music etc. but in minimizing the effects on the poor guy below me.

When I was really ill a few years back and could not get outside I ordered a York magnetic one from Amazon for about £120. The first one that came made an awful crunching sound and had to go back. The replacement was something that I used everyday for about 2 years. I still have it, but now I try to get out on my real bike as opposed to staying in-doors.

I found it ALMOST whisper quiet and very very tough as an excercise. Obviously no excericse equipment is silent. There was an obvious but not very loud mechanical movement of, I assume, a couple of drums turning against each other. You could certainly have a conversation or listen to the TV whilst riding it. Noise was a big issue for myself when I bought it so I was very happy with this aspect of it.

I would build up quite a sweat on it after about 20 to 30 minutes with the sweat dripping off me.

I found the only problem was that the circle of rotation that your hips go through on the pedals to be so small that it would cause my hips to ache painfully - something I do not get on a normal pedla bike.

It also seems to affect your muscles in a different way to a road bike, if that is possible, just as when you cycle a lot and then go jogging you realise that different muscles are needed.

Why not buy one from Amazon and if it is no good send it back to them?

Edit:

My model is the York C201 which, at the time, appeared to be the best bang for buck.

I found it ALMOST whisper quiet and very very tough as an excercise. Obviously no excericse equipment is silent. There was an obvious but not very loud mechanical movement of, I assume, a couple of drums turning against each other. You could certainly have a conversation or listen to the TV whilst riding it. Noise was a big issue for myself when I bought it so I was very happy with this aspect of it.

Cheers, that sounds (no pun intended) like what I need.

One day I should pop down to my local John Lewis and give their magnetic bikes a spin.

I could also get one of those mats for putting under exercise equipment.

I used to do a lot of this - training for the 2007 Etape. 2 hours absolutely flat out in the garage - if you didn't feel that you were about to yack up, you weren't trying.

The worst for noise is the fan type - and a lot of bikes (even the high end ones) have fans because it provides a very good load, and the electronics needs cooling.

Friction ones are 1) crap and 2) noisy.

Magnetic ones - can be quiet, but will need cooling, so there will be a fan somewhere.

You are not going to be able to use one of these in a flat without seriously pissing off the guy downstairs. If you're giving it some welly, the forces on the supports are huge and it will transmit through the floor.

If you're serious about this, the one I used is recommnended: Tacx Fortius with i-magic. Stupidly expensive, but if you're going to spend 10 hours a week on the thing, you'll need some motivation.

I would build up quite a sweat on it after about 20 to 30 minutes with the sweat dripping off me.

Yup, lots of big fans needed.

It also seems to affect your muscles in a different way to a road bike, if that is possible, just as when you cycle a lot and then go jogging you realise that different muscles are needed.

I would only use one that actually took the bike I was going to race on. Same saddle, same cranks etc.

Just to echo what everyone else has said, really.

It'll make noise, but get the quietest thing you can. Get a mat to catch the sweat and dull the noise. Mag is better.

Yes, the feel and muscle development of an exercise bike is different, very odd, especially on 'out of the saddle work', But then I find I even get different muscle development on my road vs my off road bike (Q-factors and whatnot). So a turbo trainer using your favourite bike is better. If you dont have the money to burn on one of them fancy i-magic jobs, a mag turbo trainer and some judicious selection of what you watch on TV/listen to music wise will keep your motivation up.

You can buy training and spin DVDs to watch on the TV - they are good but expensive, plus you need to know what training you want to do... plus they get old really quickly if you're using them a lot.

I prefer the most expensive method - paying for a gym subscription. That way I get regular spinning classes with lots of chicks to ogle at.

In addition to classes and free standing kit, my gym also has a few electronically-slaved bikes that run some sort of mountain bike video game. It is actually rather fun having a go racing with other punters, trying to not fall off or find a shortcut on the track, or trying to beat your previous records, although it forces you to work your way up to the most difficult settings which is annoying.

Have you thought about elliptical trainers?

Well at my age I tend to prefer black Oxfords myself. :D

(I had to look up elliptical trainer on Google, such is the depth of my ignorance.)

The reduced joint stress angle certainly appeals to me.

This would definitely be something I'd have to try out first though.

I prefer the most expensive method - paying for a gym subscription. That way I get regular spinning classes with lots of chicks to ogle at.

A mate of mine used to be in a gym class full of Lycra clad women. Despite his overactive libido he didn't really like it, perhaps he felt intimidated?

While I was looking at the Tacx Fortius I discovered the upcoming Tunturi E90.

A 10" LCD screen, with their version of i-Magic, plus internet access. Yes, surf HPC or update your Facebook status ("knackered") while on your exercise bike.

Tempting, but I think I'll pass....

Bart, you live in a city of hills, not unlike Rome, buy a bike with 2 wheels and enjoy the outdoors that surrounds you :)

edit, smiley.

Bart, you live in a city of hills, not unlike Rome, buy a bike with 2 wheels and enjoy the outdoors that surrounds you :)

What, you mean.... go OUTSIDE! :o

Small steps, or revolutions in this case :)

My heads certainly spinning at the thought.