House Price Crash Forum
exiges

We Get A Vote On Europe ?

OK, it's the DM, but still..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2044211/At-We-vote-Europe-MPs-forced-decide-referendum.html

A historic vote on growing demands for Britain to leave the European Union will be held in the Commons before Christmas.

MPs will debate whether the Government should give voters a chance to decide the issue once and for all in a referendum.

It will be the first time Parliament has held a major vote on seeking the public’s view since the 1975 referendum confirming the decision to join the Common Market.

If MPs vote in favour of a referendum, the result would not be binding on the Government.

But, combined with growing public opposition to the increasing power of the EU, it would put enormous pressure on David Cameron to let the people decide the country’s European fate.

Hmm. What does this mean for those of us that want to go work over there? I'll be stuck in Blighty now? Bummer...

Saying that, it should be up to the people (assuming they're well-educated...!)

Edited by guitarman001

If we leave the EU, our goods and services will still need to meet EU standards if we want to sell them, but we'll have no say in defining those standards. And it would be sure to make life harder for people like me, who export services to EU countries. In fact, if the UK were to leave the EU, I'd probably up sticks and take me and my business back to Germany, if they'll still have me, that is!

If we leave the EU, our goods and services will still need to meet EU standards if we want to sell them, but we'll have no say in defining those standards. And it would be sure to make life harder for people like me, who export services to EU countries. In fact, if the UK were to leave the EU, I'd probably up sticks and take me and my business back to Germany, if they'll still have me, that is!

I don't see why we wouldn't have the same relationship with the EU as Norway and Switzerland do. That is, free trade and free movement of people, but no political and financial union.

I don't see why we wouldn't have the same relationship with the EU as Norway and Switzerland do. That is, free trade and free movement of people, but no political and financial union.

Yes, I guess we could if, like them, we sign the Schengen Agreement and are happy to have our laws faxed to us from Brussels.

Edited by snowflux

Do we have any say in defining standards?

I don't think so.

The standards are drawn up by Eurocrats, then the MEPs vote on them without the slightest understanding of their effect because the EU is too big to have any idea as to the effect of those standards in all the different regions.

I want out.

Do we have any say in defining standards?

I don't think so.

The standards are drawn up by Eurocrats, then the MEPs vote on them without the slightest understanding of their effect because the EU is too big to have any idea as to the effect of those standards in all the different regions.

I want out.

Of course we do! Many European standards are based on or influenced by the old BSI standards. Why would you think otherwise?

Edit: One obvious example was the harmonisation of mains voltage at 230V +/- 10%, when the rest of Europe moved to meet the UK halfway. If we hadn't been in the EU, it would probably have been set at 220V +/- 5%, which wouldn't have been so great for our manufacturers or consumers.

Edited by snowflux

Yes, I guess we could if, like them, we sign the Schengen Agreement and are happy to have our laws faxed to us from Brussels.

Without the UK, the EU won't be able to finance itself. That is if the EU doesn't collapse over the euro anyway.

If absolutely necessary the UK could still have an agreement for common technical standards with the agreement including representation in the making/production of those standards at the highest level. That would be possible without giving away sovereignty, without needing a common currency, without giving away sovereignty on tax laws and on general laws etc etc.

On the question of a vote on europe - the 70s debate on the Common Market vote mainly centred on whether the UK's trade would be better off and more profitable for the UK if within the Common Market or staying with the Commonwealth, which was still a major trading force for the UK in those days. The political aspects weren't subject to much debate at all. Trade with China etc etc wasn't even a factor in the debate.

If UK people had known then how the traded sector would be allowed to wither away over time and how the UK's economy would turn into a debt and housing economy then the vote might likely have been completely different. Perhaps there should now be another vote on the idea of the eu free trade zone (Common Market) to take everything into account and to review its value and worth in a debt/housing economy.

Edited by billybong

You obviously don't know that much about these countries' relationship with the EU. Via membership of the EEA and similar treaties, they are obliged to implement the majority of EU law without being involved in it's formulation.

Unless the UK wants to leave that as well, which would give it a relationship to the EU similar to that of Turkey or Ukraine, leaving the EU would actually be counterproductive in this respect. All it would achieve is remove the constant threat/slowdown of a UK veto in EU legislation, although that legislation would in many areas still apply to the UK.

Yeah , thats really hurt Switzerland....

Remind me what Switzerlands trade deficit is again?

Of course we do! Many European standards are based on or influenced by the old BSI standards. Why would you think otherwise?

Well for example, currently the EU are considering Electric Pedal cycles. For no apparent reason they are against having twist throttles on them. Most UK electric bikes do have twist throttles.

All this is being decided by eurocrats, not elected members, eventually, the members will nod it through because they do not understand.

Has anybody asked you your opinion? No point lobbying your MP, and as for your MEP, don't bother.

Why is this a problem anyway?

Oh, just that Bosch have brought out an electric motor which just about every European manufacturer is using.

In the UK we tend to import Chinese electric bikes.

Chinese have twist throttles, and you've guessed it, Bosch don't.

You are a communist and I claim my £5 (euro?)

Well for example, currently the EU are considering Electric Pedal cycles. For no apparent reason they are against having twist throttles on them. Most UK electric bikes do have twist throttles.

All this is being decided by eurocrats, not elected members, eventually, the members will nod it through because they do not understand.

Has anybody asked you your opinion? No point lobbying your MP, and as for your MEP, don't bother.

Oh, just that Bosch have brought out an electric motor which just about every European manufacturer is using.

My experience has been similar with respect to the standards that I have familiarity with - when it comes to standards the ones favourable to German companies always displace the UK ones.

Then there are the standards where the eurocrats don't know what they are doing and by solving one safety issue, create more serious ones.

You'de then be subject to Germanys ridiculous employment laws. Good luck with that.

The cost of switching from a twist throttle to a lever throttle must be, um, ur, not much at all. Well worth the extra cost so we can save on all those useless eurocrats and fraudulent transfers to southern Europe.

+1. Would make sense, likewise we can put a stop to the free migration into an area with high population density which is reducing the quality of life for so many.

What are the risks? High trade tarriffs is quite likely offset by cheaper taxes perhaps?

High trade tariffs are unlikely. If they levied them on us, we would on them and it is us with the trade deficit.

you make a massive mistake in thinking the UK has any influence in the EU.

the EU is not countries sitting around a table negotiating. if it was, no one would have a problem with it

it is a group of commisioners proposing legislation and then being ratified by MEP's who do not sit together as nation representatives. once therye in the EU parliament they break off into their own EU groups, of which no one recognises.

it is a top down organisation in which power and decision making is made by the unelected commisioners.

there are no nation states in the EU, it is simply a council telling everyone what to do.

Edited by mfp123

They know that no one will vote to stay in europe, this is one of those things where they think they know best so no vote for us. Plus politicians make a fortune out of europe.

Anyway in europe we don't get a say, out of europe we don't get a say but a benefit is we don't have to pay.

Edit: One obvious example was the harmonisation of mains voltage at 230V +/- 10%, when the rest of Europe moved to meet the UK halfway. If we hadn't been in the EU, it would probably have been set at 220V +/- 5%, which wouldn't have been so great for our manufacturers or consumers.

except the UK still uses 240v and the EU uses 220v.

all theyve done with the "harmonisation" is said the the legal limit must be between 207 and 253 volts - which it already was!

nothing actually changed.

your power plug by the way operates at different voltages usually saying 100-240v.

so it will work in the US, Europe and the UK anyway.

By this logic, China should join the EU.