House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmmaRoid #FBPE#JC4PM#GTTO

Council/planning/construction Project/parking Problem

I have just discovered that the construction project opposite my house are intending to erect a hoarding that takes up half the road. The consequence of this is that I will not be able to park near my house on my side of road. I understand there is no right to be able to park outside your house but this takes the piss. The parking situation is already poor with cars parked on the pavement on both sides of the street along the whole length. It is near the top of a one way street and even if you could turn round and go back down the street there's few spaces at night. The road leads onto a main road with limited parking as well. In the space of a few weeks we have already lost 6 or so spaces on the opposite side and now we face losing 6 or so on our side. In the past (with those 12 spaces available) I have on a couple of occasions had to park on another street because it is full of cars.

I have the name of someone at the council to complain to but I think it is a fait accompli. I will speak to him anyway and also get the wife to speak to the local paper, we have a toddler and she is preggers and our neighbours have two pre-school kids as well. If this change went ahead it would be a great inconvenience, for we are told a year. I don't believe that either.

So, council and local paper, can anyone offer any practical advice as to what other action may be worthwhile trying? We would be satisfied (not exactly overjoyed) with getting the hoarding placed partly on the road which allowed us still to park in front of our homes.

..we have a toddler and she is preggers...

I have heard of teenage pregnancies but this is taking it too far. Who is the father?

Seriously, you have no "right" to block the highway with your mechanical equipment, end of story. You need to make your own arangements for where you abandon large lumps of metal when you are not using them. You could store them on land or in buildings that you own or rent, that would solve your problems. Luckily for you, you can usually dump your equipment on public space and no-one minds. It's an inconvenience for you that someone else is using the public space for a few months I'm sure.

I have heard of teenage pregnancies but this is taking it too far. Who is the father?

Seriously, you have no "right" to block the highway with your mechanical equipment, end of story. You need to make your own arangements for where you abandon large lumps of metal when you are not using them. You could store them on land or in buildings that you own or rent, that would solve your problems. Luckily for you, you can usually dump your equipment on public space and no-one minds. It's an inconvenience for you that someone else is using the public space for a few months I'm sure.

I think he said a year. I think many people assume a de joure right to park outside their house so when it is taken away it's no surprise they are miffed. You would be too I think or you would be in a significant minority otherwise. I think they need to be reasonable. Sure it's not his right but it sounds like a clogged up street. I don't think anyone would take exception to him complaining.

Thanks for nothing but i was asking if anyone had any suggestions that could help me not your opinion about cars.

Surely they have planning permission, and if so you would have been informed about it - hence the chance to object? Can you not search online on your councils website?

You should have had notice if they applied for planning permission.

Search online to see what addresses they contacted about it.

If no planning permission then get to local councillor and MP about it. ASAP.

I don't think parking should be allowed on roads. Roads are for driving on.

As roads are only for driving on then there should be no cyclists or pedestrians on roads or for that matter no bus stops.

I don't think parking should be allowed on roads. Roads are for driving on.

Thus making it practically impossible for most people without their own drive or garage to own a car, and therefore at a masterstroke eliminating nearly all traffic congestion. Brilliant!

Can people take thier anti-car, roads not for parking on chat elsewhere?

Of course there’s approved planning and the council bod says it is all above board. I’ve found out that this partial highway closure is relatively recent, applied directly with the highway people and nothing to do with planning.

The Housing Association behind the build have even started dropping patronising leaflets about working with the community during the building project. Not sure how that’s going conside3ring the noise, the mess and the inconvenience of not being able to park.

We are in contact with a someone at the council, someone at the housing assoc. who sends the patronising leaflets and will be contacting our councillor (lives a couple of streets away) and our MP. Just trying to make enough noise, be inconvenient enough for people just to work something out to shut us up. It’s not like we want them to stop the build.

Anyone else who you might think be helpful? It is, imho, classic local paper fodder too.

Could you smash down the front hedge/garden wall, then put down gravel to turn the front of your house into a temporary parking lot ?

Er, no. Not 'my' house, I'm renter scum after all.

Having spoken to the Housing Ass. again, Durch's suggestion might not be a bad one. No one on the side of officialdom seems interested.

So, council and local paper, can anyone offer any practical advice as to what other action may be worthwhile trying? We would be satisfied (not exactly overjoyed) with getting the hoarding placed partly on the road which allowed us still to park in front of our homes.

Simply go out early one morning, say 4am, and spray paint the most obscene images you can stomach all over the hoarding. Repeat as necessary.

The hoarding won't be there for long.

Er, no. Not 'my' house, I'm renter scum after all.

Having spoken to the Housing Ass. again, Durch's suggestion might not be a bad one. No one on the side of officialdom seems interested.

Well, the landlord might be happy for you to do it. For most tenants off road parking is a bigger plus than a front garden. Plus with it being laid to gravel it is easier to maintain.

My landlord did this because he thought that it was more important to be able to offer his tenants off road parking in a congested area than a few square meters of useless lawn that was never taken care off. And he was right.

Simply go out early one morning, say 4am, and spray paint the most obscene images you can stomach all over the hoarding. Repeat as necessary.

No, no no, I'll find where these people live and abandon vehicles outside thier houses :ph34r:

A helpful hint is make them racist and it counts as a crime and devalues the area.

Although don't get bloody caught doing it

And to rub your face in it I bet the hoardings will be for 'shared ownership - pay 80% but own 100% of the house' nonsense.

And to rub your face in it I bet the hoardings will be for 'shared ownership - pay 80% but own 100% of the house' nonsense

Oh yes.

As to smme of the rest of you, I won't be doing anything illegal.

We will likely lose but I want to give it a go. As we rent we can move in March. The homeowners and those trying to sell at the moment aren't quite so lucky.

Well, the landlord might be happy for you to do it. For most tenants off road parking is a bigger plus than a front garden. Plus with it being laid to gravel it is easier to maintain.

My landlord did this because he thought that it was more important to be able to offer his tenants off road parking in a congested area than a few square meters of useless lawn that was never taken care off. And he was right.

THere is frontage but this is not possible