House Price Crash Forum

Will There Be Snow In October?

pl1

;)

No, it's really a long wind of saying that it's pointless debating with you because your initial point is not well qualified enough for a serious discussion on the subject.

If your interested in a debate along the lines of :

"The weather forecastings shit isn't it ?"

"Yeah, I've been watching it for years and it seems crap to me"

"Aye. How about another pint of 20 shilling ?"

Then your initial point is probably acceptable.

My original point was that any 'forecast' over 14 days was simply made up. I stand by that. And as for qualifications I did actually stud Meteorology for a year as part of my Uni course. :P

Very tricky subject actually. Lots of physics involved. Hard work.

Hmm, compared to the weather in the SE it is a bit shit though, no?

27C in Edinburgh in September ? It is all relative. The weather is much more pleasant here right now than it is in Antartica for example.

No I haven't.

Increase 100kph to 200kph. It makes little difference. The point still stands.

No it doesn't. You have shown that you think winds of 100KPH on the UK in October are unlikey. That shows you have very little knowledge of the basics of geography and meterology in this country.

Isn't it meant to be pretty chilly in October?

When weather is the news story, you can be sure that the journos are bored.

There was some sort of weather forecast around that seems to have been picked up by nearly everyone. I have hards SO many people talking about this snow in October forecast. And if it does happen they will all go 'See I was right' and if it doesn't they will just keep quiet and everyone will forget about it.

Similar to when someone watching the football says 'This is going to be a goal'

Very strange.

I think because we haev had 2 really cold winters in a row people are stating there will be another. Funny they never came out with the same forecasts for the first one - did they ? And if not why exactly should we give this one any merit ?

The only decent long term forecast I have heard was actually on the BBC. Article about last years boom of late autumn berry crops. This is an old tale that the more berreis there are = the colder the winter is coming up. It was spot on. The actual weather forecast for the winter from the BBC was not. Make of that what you will.

;)

My original point was that any 'forecast' over 14 days was simply made up. I stand by that. And as for qualifications I did actually stud Meteorology for a year as part of my Uni course. :P

Very tricky subject actually. Lots of physics involved. Hard work.

27C in Edinburgh in September ? It is all relative. The weather is much more pleasant here right now than it is in Antartica for example.

No it doesn't. You have shown that you think winds of 100KPH on the UK in October are unlikey. That shows you have very little knowledge of the basics of geography and meterology in this country.

Define "made up".

I don't need to have a knowledge of the basics of geography and meteorology to see your argument is primitive and unqualified.

In this example:

Made up = a guess.

Now there are some reasonable long term VERY GENERAL forecasts. Based on sun activity and all. I think they have SOME merit. However anything more detailed is close to useless IMO.

In the UK (And most other places) it all depends on the wind patterns - and there is no way of accurately predicting that anymore than 2 weeks in advance. Last two winters were due to big systems blocking out to the wast sucking down cold air after cold air after cold air. This warm period of the last week was the complete opposite. It just depends where an area of high pressure is sitting and how it impacts other air around it.

If the high pressure that causes this warmth this week had simply been sitting to the west of the UK rather than the East ? We would have probably had snow as predicted. But we didn't - instead we had tropical temperatures. Such a small difference can have huge effects.

And no - we cannot today predict where exactly a high pressure will be sitting any more than a couple of weeks in advance. And even that is likely to change. So this is why long term DETAILED weather forecasts are made up IMO.

To illustrate the futility of debating this point with you I will forecast the weather now 16 days in advance. The mean daily temperature will be between -10 and 40 degrees C in the UK. The windspeed will be between 0 and 100 kph. There may be precipitation, or there may not. There may be clouds, and there may be not. There you go. I have predicted the weather 16 days in advance and I'm pretty sure I will be accurate.

SCottish news

"said the waves came as winds peaked at 66mph (106 km/h)."

This was recorded on the 3rd of October. Just one day after your hugely general forecast for the weather 16 days in advance. And you were not accurate - as you predicted. And it took only one day for your hugely generalised weather prediction to be wrong.

You sort of getting my point now.:lol:

SCottish news

"said the waves came as winds peaked at 66mph (106 km/h)."

This was recorded on the 3rd of October. Just one day after your hugely general forecast for the weather 16 days in advance. And you were not accurate - as you predicted. And it took only one day for your hugely generalised weather prediction to be wrong.

You sort of getting my point now.:lol:

Now you're just being cruel.

Now you're just being cruel.

Not at all. That is why I put a wee smiley face at the end. Just pointing out how incredibly changeable our weather can be - and therefore how trying to predict it to even a general level is close to impossible.

As per usual - sunny Jockland came up with the goods to show the point. :D

Archived