House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Redcellar

Home Repossessions 40% Higher Than 2007

Paper article on High Net Worth individuals. So I appologise that I cannot print it in full. Insurance Times 16 Sept 2011.

Here is an aside, not something they comment on in the article as they are focused on selling insurance to the rich.

"Home repossessions were 40% higher in H1 2011 than in H1 2007"

Has anyone seen another publication advertise this figure. It seems quite a dramatic one given the record low interest rates and all the help home'owners' have received in forebearance from the banks and handouts from the government.

Another interesting set of figures is on average 16% national increase of millionaires in the UK 2008 - 10. Looking at the map it's even from North to South (e.g. Scotland 18%, NE 17%, NW 16%)

Where has the money come from to make these people millionaires? Cash is depreciating, property too, shares are losing. My guess is it was share prices since the increase is up to 2010. All very odd though.

Paper article on High Net Worth individuals. So I appologise that I cannot print it in full. Insurance Times 16 Sept 2011.

Here is an aside, not something they comment on in the article as they are focused on selling insurance to the rich.

Has anyone seen another publication advertise this figure. It seems quite a dramatic one given the record low interest rates and all the help home'owners' have received in forebearance from the banks and handouts from the government.

Another interesting set of figures is on average 16% national increase of millionaires in the UK 2008 - 10. Looking at the map it's even from North to South (e.g. Scotland 18%, NE 17%, NW 16%)

Where has the money come from to make these people millionaires? Cash is depreciating, property too, shares are losing. My guess is it was share prices since the increase is up to 2010. All very odd though.

That's 40% more property the banks can 'sell' to their shell companies for a knock down price then.

Maybe the increase in millionaires is just bankers from their bonuses, I can't see anyone else getting rich. Anyway is there any chart we could compare to the amount of people getting poorer? That would be interesting.

Maybe the money is flowing from poor people, who are getting poorer, to rich people, who are getting richer.

Like the fact that AFAIK supermarkets carried on doing very nicely thank you while people found the cost of their groceries basket increasing. We are not all in this together.

Re the repossessions, that's very striking. I'm not that surprised given that so many people now are talking about how hard it is to make ends meet despite the low interest rates; it suggests that it will not take very much of a rate rise and it'll be repossession carnage.

Just an anecdote, but I overheard a young woman in a shop this morning saying to the person at the counter that her other half was in prison and she had managed to delay the repossession until the day after he comes out so he can help move things. I don't know whether to read that as a long delay if he's in for a long stretch, or to read that as they're getting tougher and now repossessing more often, and I didn't really feel I could ask :D

her other half was in prison and she had managed to delay the repossession until the day after he comes out so he can help move things.

Stay classy

stay-classy1.jpeg

Can't say i've seen that fig before; CML reckoned 40k repos this year (compared to 30k last year, I think). Of course due to said lender forebearance and rising mortgage arrears this figure should be a helluva a lot higher.

Ho hum, all they're doing is making it harder themselves in the long-run, gravity always wins.

Public sector workers taking enhanced redundancy packages based on huge salaries inflated under New Labour?

Executive pay is going off the top of the scale - prices increases to feed it because of that nasty thing they cannot do anything about - inflation.

Can't say i've seen that fig before; CML reckoned 40k repos this year (compared to 30k last year, I think). Of course due to said lender forebearance and rising mortgage arrears this figure should be a helluva a lot higher.

Ho hum, all they're doing is making it harder themselves in the long-run, gravity always wins.

+1. I think it was the Financial Stability Report a few months back that reckoned up to 12% of all UK mortgages are now in arrears, and I can't see that figure going in any direction but up for the foreseeable. Just wondering at what point forbearance becomes unsustainable for the lenders.

Public sector workers taking enhanced redundancy packages based on huge salaries inflated under New Labour?

Executive pay is going off the top of the scale - prices increases to feed it because of that nasty thing they cannot do anything about - inflation.

+1

There are a substantial number of public sector / quango "executives" that have secured themselves huge raise after huge raise over the past decade with the result that they have levels of disposable income that they would not have even dreamed of previously. This has enabled them to accumulate significant wealth while in post and an "entitlement" to a massive payoff if they are ever retrenched. The result is many more millionaires. This has been allowed to happen through the negligence of the government and the indolence of the general public. These include 250k pa town clerks (sorry "chief executives") , 300k pa university vice chancellors, 200k pa head teachers, 200k pa chief constables and many more; not to mention all the lower ranks pocketing 150k pa in various non jobs that are used to justify the rock star salaries of the bosses. Then there are the 800k pa heads of the BBC and Transport for London leading by example and supported by minions who may only get paid several hundred thousand a year.

Add to this the widely publicised excesses of the bankers and the chief executives of various listed companies and it is perhaps surprising that there are not more millionaires in the country.

+1. I think it was the Financial Stability Report a few months back that reckoned up to 12% of all UK mortgages are now in arrears, and I can't see that figure going in any direction but up for the foreseeable. Just wondering at what point forbearance becomes unsustainable for the lenders.

Ironically, it is the FSA encouraging lenders to exercise forebearance and only repossess when all other avenues have been explored (as per 'treating customers fairly' charter'). The same FSA then has the f*cking gall to warn lenders that they're storing-up trouble for themselves by relying on forebearance (recent-ish article in Mortgage Strategy, I think).

It'd be funny were it not so pathetic.

+1

There are a substantial number of public sector / quango "executives" that have secured themselves huge raise after huge raise over the past decade with the result that they have levels of disposable income that they would not have even dreamed of previously. This has enabled them to accumulate significant wealth while in post and an "entitlement" to a massive payoff if they are ever retrenched. The result is many more millionaires. This has been allowed to happen through the negligence of the government and the indolence of the general public. These include 250k pa town clerks (sorry "chief executives") , 300k pa university vice chancellors, 200k pa head teachers, 200k pa chief constables and many more; not to mention all the lower ranks pocketing 150k pa in various non jobs that are used to justify the rock star salaries of the bosses. Then there are the 800k pa heads of the BBC and Transport for London leading by example and supported by minions who may only get paid several hundred thousand a year.

Add to this the widely publicised excesses of the bankers and the chief executives of various listed companies and it is perhaps surprising that there are not more millionaires in the country.

None of them live in my world....let them live in their own enclave....living off each other...another world I would not like to be part of....where/how the other half live, let them stay there because I will not be paying for it. ;)

None of them live in my world....let them live in their own enclave....living off each other...another world I would not like to be part of....where/how the other half live, let them stay there because I will not be paying for it. ;)

You are paying for it.

Once looting is allowed like that it devalues every pound you have because it enables all those people to pay more for things and sets price levels.

Who do you think is paying for all these public sector pensions if it isn't people like you via your taxes, your reduced council services, extra parking charges, VAT, fuel duty, tuition fees, old age care (when so much of the NHS budget has gone on salaries instead), etc. etc.

You are paying for it.

Once looting is allowed like that it devalues every pound you have because it enables all those people to pay more for things and sets price levels.

Who do you think is paying for all these public sector pensions if it isn't people like you via your taxes, your reduced council services, extra parking charges, VAT, fuel duty, tuition fees, old age care (when so much of the NHS budget has gone on salaries instead), etc. etc.

Sure, we of course are having to pay for the greed, they pay themselves over and above their true value and worth because they can. We can either sit back and take it until it wipes us out or stand up and question it, get them to justify their pay that the rest of us are are having to partly pay for.....how much we choose to pay for is up to us, but we will not pay for it if we cut down on buying the crap we don't need, use the car less or give up on the car, look after our own without having to purchase extra services, looking after ourselves better so we don't require expensive drugs, educating our kids with the real things that matter in life, much can be learned from the web on sites such as TED and other cost effective ways to educate, start our own family businesses serving our local communities, building up trust and providing a far better service than the self-interested corporations do that only look after their own.....use ethical businesses...by doing our research....buying second hand, growing some of our own food, swapping services and skills amongst each other....you can go as far as you want to go....such as giving up the TV and buying newspapers....there are lots of things we can individually do to cut down on our hard earned money going to those that don't deserve to benefit from it geting the best use from it... can't beat them, don't allow them to beat you. ;)

Sure, we of course are having to pay for the greed, they pay themselves over and above their true value and worth because they can. We can either sit back and take it until it wipes us out or stand up and question it, get them to justify their pay that the rest of us are are having to partly pay for.....how much we choose to pay for is up to us, but we will not pay for it if we cut down on buying the crap we don't need, use the car less or give up on the car, look after our own without having to purchase extra services, looking after ourselves better so we don't require expensive drugs, educating our kids with the real things that matter in life, much can be learned from the web on sites such as TED and other cost effective ways to educate, start our own family businesses serving our local communities, building up trust and providing a far better service than the self-interested corporations do that only look after their own.....use ethical businesses...by doing our research....buying second hand, growing some of our own food, swapping services and skills amongst each other....you can go as far as you want to go....such as giving up the TV and buying newspapers....there are lots of things we can individually do to cut down on our hard earned money going to those that don't deserve to benefit from it geting the best use from it... can't beat them, don't allow them to beat you. ;)

HPCers club together buy some land, build on it, grow our own food, share skills cars etc?

Have I gone all hippy now? :lol:

HPCers club together buy some land, build on it, grow our own food, share skills cars etc?

Count me in. No trailers though. This isnt a caravan park.

I'd be up for that too! Anything is better than being a slave for the rest of my life! Any land left up your way?

I know of a plot that has driveways and concrete rectangles all laid out. Coming free in the next week or two. Dependant upon appeal being dismissed that is.

I know of a plot that has driveways and concrete rectangles all laid out. Coming free in the next week or two. Dependant upon appeal being dismissed that is.

Sounds good I reckon we could get 10 years out of it! ;)