House Price Crash Forum
Mr. Miyagi

Greece Is Slipping Into The Abyss

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/greece/8799364/Greece-is-slipping-into-the-abyss.html

Many friends have headed to the suburbs – but they aren’t as safe as they were. Last week, an elderly couple in a decent neighbourhood were held hostage in their home by men carrying AK-47 assault rifles. They took their cash and credit cards and then stole the couple’s car.

Yes, it is a scary article. Especially since we're not out of that danger ourselves. the tin foil hat brigade are a joke on this site, but you just never know what's round the corner....

"Round the corner" is a Kebab shop. Kofte with chilies please. :blink:

Yes, it is a scary article. Especially since we're not out of that danger ourselves. the tin foil hat brigade are a joke on this site, but you just never know what's round the corner....

Greece needs default and devaluation if she is to have any hope of a future. Devaluation means out of the Euro, if that happens, all bets are off :ph34r:

AK47's in Greece. Scary stuff.

Good promotion for Greek package holidays. At least you never have to leave the comfort of a safe resort.

My line manager is a week into a three week stay.

Edit to add

AK 47 is shit you would expect in Afghanistan et al not an EU member state.

Edited by Mr. Miyagi

I fundamentally disagree with this now. After comments from the Estonians as to why should they who are paid far less than the average Greek have to stump up money for the Greeks.

Effectively, if they default or they are bailed out, we have the iniquitous situation of poor taxpayers paying for rich Greeks.

I think the first step has to be the richer in a country pay up first before anyone else does.

This whole thing seems to be a conspiracy of the 'rich' in various countries to hold onto their wealth.

I think most people here worked that out years ago.

:)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/greece/8799364/Greece-is-slipping-into-the-abyss.html

Many friends have headed to the suburbs – but they aren’t as safe as they were. Last week, an elderly couple in a decent neighbourhood were held hostage in their home by men carrying AK-47 assault rifles. They took their cash and credit cards and then stole the couple’s car.

Did they nick their gold as well? How did the baked bean stash hold up? What is the Greek equivalent of baked beans?

Frightening but predictable.

IMHO the greatest,greatest mistake of the last fifty years was that the end of theCapitalist / Communist dialectic represented a vindication for Capitalismm and the end of history. We have had hundreds of years to get capitalism right and now face the greatest crisis in it's history. Unfortunately we are governed by an elite which imagines it can control space and time. Masters of the universe, indeed.

Greece is going to be the first to prove this arrogance wrong. My jaw drops when I hear 'the Greeks are going to have to...' etc, etc etc. The Greeks have no obligation to support or enable anyones world view. They will act like human beings do in times of immense pressure.

The Barbarians are through the Gate and that is entirely the fault of the greedy bastards who are running the show.

The new world is not going to be decided by summits in Basle or the government(s) of Europe. This is very very serious stuff.

Did they nick their gold as well? How did the baked bean stash hold up? What is the Greek equivalent of baked beans?

Feta cheese in olive oil?

Meanwhile Nato troops are involved in violent clashes on the Kosovo border although British press don't appear to be covering it.

:(

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2011/1001/1224305086199.html

RT are covering it. Nato have issued a shoot to kill policy.

Meanwhile Nato troops are involved in violent clashes on the Kosovo border although British press don't appear to be covering it.

:(

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2011/1001/1224305086199.html

True. It's been getting some coverage on the Russia Today tv channel as well.

The UK media has much greater fish to fry, such as the hugely important extensive coverage of the trial of Michael Jackson's doctor.

True. It's been getting some coverage on the Russia Today tv channel as well.

The UK media has much greater fish to fry, such as the hugely important extensive coverage of the trial of Michael Jackson's doctor.

I know...FFS :angry:

I fundamentally disagree with this now. After comments from the Estonians as to why should they who are paid far less than the average Greek have to stump up money for the Greeks.

Effectively, if they default or they are bailed out, we have the iniquitous situation of poor taxpayers paying for rich Greeks.

I think the first step has to be the richer in a country pay up first before anyone else does.

This whole thing seems to be a conspiracy of the 'rich' in various countries to hold onto their wealth.

There are reports that many richer Greeks have already taken stashes of Euros out of Greece and are holding their money abroad. If there is a devaluation, and a return to the Drachma, they have secured their cash.

If the Greek government stops withdrawals in Euros expect a return to the Drachma to follow.

The EU is hell-bent on letting Serbia into the EU despite there being no apparent attonement for what they did in the former Yugoslavia, nor the continuing hatred between them and other former members of Yugo land.

The concept appears to be just to let the EU grow no matter - make the gravy train bigger. More jobs and perks for the boys. More contracts perhaps? More EU grants?

I half expect any day to wake up and learn that Zimbabee is now part of the EU.