House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

inflating

Tubeless Car Tyre Puncture, Remove Object Or Not?

Got a standard size chipboard screw in the tyre, caused a puncture, down from 30 to 15.

First puncture in about 5 years so can't complain. As long as it's not going to be a series of 3, as got one on my bicycle too :(

Can't get to a tyre fitter until Monday, need to drive locally in the meantime, is it better to leave the screw lodged in the tyre or screwdriver it out before I get time to go for the puncture repair? Loss is slow with the screw still in the tyre.

Don't suppose Kwik Fit or anyone are still doing their free puncture repairs?

I couldn't advise you to drive on it, but I can tell you the tyre will deflate much faster if you remove the screw.

You might be able to buy a puncture plug repair kit locally, they work, but I wouldn't bother with the aerosol stuff which never seems to work and also makes the tyre unrepairable.

Thanks Harry, I used the green slime liquid puncture stuff in a motorcycle tyre once, got 100 miles from it which was useful

Will pop down the parts place and see if I can get one of those plugs, many thanks :)

( just realised, my HPC user name is now less appropriate ! )

btw National do a free puncture repair although you pay for valve/balancing - voucher http://www.national.co.uk/special-offers-puncture.aspx

However I favour going to a local garage that I'm familiar with even if it's a bit more.

Last year we noticed one tyre was low, checked for any sign of holes and pumped it up. Few months later we noticed it was low again, pumped it up and took it to the local tyre place; they found a nail that we hadn't seen and fitted one of the plugs to fill the hole and it's been fine ever since.

Not all cars have spares these days ;)

ISTR it's about £15 for a tyre repair so you need to work out if it's economically viable, for example it probably wouldn't be if the tyre is three-quarters of the way through its life.

Apropos to nothing, when my truck has a tyre changed, they use one of these, which is interesting if you haven't seen one before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-OksPParv0

ISTR it's about £15 for a tyre repair so you need to work out if it's economically viable, for example it probably wouldn't be if the tyre is three-quarters of the way through its life.

Apropos to nothing, when my truck has a tyre changed, they use one of these, which is interesting if you haven't seen one before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-OksPParv0

Those cheetah bead seaters for lorry/ tractor tyres also work just as well on difficult to seat car tyres - particularly fancy alloys or classic car wheels you don't want the monkeys at the local tyre fitters to put dinks in - filling with gas lighter fuel and putting a match to it is another option - really!

____

I would just plug any tyre with a nail type puncture without bothering to take it off the rim. You probably won't get the tool and plugs from Halfords - prob agri machinery parts place - as I think patching and plugging from the inside is considered best practice but I've never had any trouble with external plugs. 10 min diy job and you just need a fag lighter powered inflator and don't have to bother getting filthy taking the wheel off and faffing around with the alloy wheel lock nut adapter.

____

I would just plug any tyre with a nail type puncture without bothering to take it off the rim. You probably won't get the tool and plugs from Halfords - prob agri machinery parts place - as I think patching and plugging from the inside is considered best practice but I've never had any trouble with external plugs. 10 min diy job and you just need a fag lighter powered inflator and don't have to bother getting filthy taking the wheel off and faffing around with the alloy wheel lock nut adapter.

Thanks, anyway I found the tyre completely flat this morning, had to pump it with my Halfords foot pump, didn't take as long as I'd feared it would. Screw is still in. Did a drive round to see if any smaller tyre places are open later today - no they are not! Will see if my usual garage man is at his garage tomorrow and if he'll do it, if not will have to go to some dodgy fitter who will probably tell me I need a new tyre :rolleyes: as I've no idea where very locally they'd sell those plugs. There's a couple of agri parts places, I will go there if I manage to get them on the phone to confirm they sell them as they're quite a drive and even so probably more petrol to get there than is sensible